Battery Status & Replacement

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Muleskinner
Motorcycle: 2006 Goldwing Trike

Battery Status & Replacement

Postby Muleskinner » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:23 pm

Is there any reliable way to estimate how much longer your battery will last? I ride my bike year round and just went for a good ride yesterday. I have no idea how old the battery is as I bought this 06 Wing last year.

I just checked and the voltage at the battery is 12.5 with nothing on. When I turn the key to ACC (radio on) it goes to 11.97 and holds there. The bike still starts fine, but I really don't want to get stranded somewhere.

Other than removing the battery and taking it in to a shop for testing, is there any other indicator you can use to reasonably gauge the battery status?

expplane
Motorcycle: Goldwing 2008

Re: Battery Status & Replacement

Postby expplane » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:49 pm

I use the Battery Bug, connected directly to the battery. It shows voltage and remaining battery life. My shows 76% life remaining and 13.1V after an afternoon ride about 3 hours ago. If you see only 12.6 V or so, I believe it's time for a new battery.
Wayne

Muleskinner
Motorcycle: 2006 Goldwing Trike

Postby Muleskinner » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:29 pm

Guess since I'm nor sure that the battery is starting to fail or not, but am sure that I don't want it to fail out on the road, I've ordered one of the new Shorai lithium batteries. That should be the last battery I need to buy for this bike. In case you haven't heard of them, this is from the WingStuff.com site.

Shorai Gold Wing Batteries are a groundbreaking, non-acid lithium based Honda Gold Wing motorcycle battery lasts two to four times longer than standard acid batteries. Besides more power, longer lasting, this Gold Wing battery can hold a charge for up to a year with no charging. Features a 2-year limited warranty.

Shorai Gold Wing batteries offer a huge weight reduction (1/4 to 1/5 standard lead-acid battery weight!). Shorai Gold Wing batteries significantly outlast any traditional lead acid battery. Shorai Gold Wing batteries hold a charge for up to one year without any maintenance.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:38 am

I run one of these on my 2008 Yamaha R6, it's amazingly light and seems to work well, I am still concerned how long it will last (Have used it for 4 months so far) as all my Lithium computer batteries seem to go bad after 1 to 2 years!! Hope this lasts a lot longer than that, the weight saving on a wing battery must be quite significant..

Gary

FlyBoy2121
Motorcycle: Honda GoldWing
Gl 1800 2003

Postby FlyBoy2121 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:13 am

I thrasherg :D

They give a 2 year warranty on their batteries.
When the battery is dead my wings, I will take this battery.

FlyBoy2121 :)

pau7220
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Comfort / Nav / Audio XM / ABS

Postby pau7220 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:43 pm

Other than load testing, there is really no way to test the battery. Anything over 5 years and you're pushing your luck.

FlyBoy2121
Motorcycle: Honda GoldWing
Gl 1800 2003

Postby FlyBoy2121 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:44 am

I all GoldWingMen

I forgot to say something, everyone will buy a lithium battery when the battery life is over will be recycled properly, lithium is a very were polluting source.

fmcastro
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800

Postby fmcastro » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:07 pm

FlyBoy2121 wrote:I all GoldWingMen

I forgot to say something, everyone will buy a lithium battery when the battery life is over will be recycled properly, lithium is a very were polluting source.

My original battery lasted over nine years. I replaced it with a 310CCA from Advanced Auto Parts for about $80. It cranks quickly and only for a split second. I always start up by (1) Pressing & holding the START button while in 1st gear, then raising the kick stand and lastly turn ON the ignition switch, then pull the clutch lever. It then starts instantly and I ride off. Headlights only cycle once and this minimizes the battery input. I use my battery maintainer if the bike is not ridden more than 3 days.

williamson_l
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 Goldwing

Postby williamson_l » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:13 am

The only way to know the actual condition of your battery is to take it to a local auto parts store and have them test it under load.

As for the Lithium batteries, I have been using these for several years in the marine industry. The new lithium batteries do not actually have lithium metal in them. They use copper, cobalt, iron, and nickel metals with lithium-ion as the medium (instead of acid). According to the EPA these are all safe items for disposal in land fills.

At the end of their life though they fail rapidly. Not slowly over time. So if it is rated as a 72 month battery I would suggest looking to replace 66-70 months even if it shows no signs of weakness.

Oh, one drawback. They have a tendancy to explode if they come in contact with salt water. (Just a side note)
Larry Williamson
2010 Titanium Navi/Comfort (108HP/100FTLB Torque)
Wing Bling Mini Dark Wood Burl Accents
Helibars LST Bars
Shorai 540 CCA Lithium Battery
K&N Air Filter
Torqmaster Torq Loops
Vance & Hines Exhaust
Power Commander V
Cellset

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:31 am

Using a Battery Tender type battery maintainer when ever you park the bike in the garage will extend the battery for a long, long time.
I'm on 6yrs now on my z-turn mower battery and I'm on my 6th yr w/the Wing battery.
With the readings you indicated, get a battery maintainer(not a charger) and "motor on"

Paulcf
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Massively Heavy Luxury Touring

Postby Paulcf » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:47 pm

I agree with the above post...get a good battery maintainer. I have a poor battery in my bike now and I am going to replace it this week but I am 100% positive that having the maintainer has allowed me to get an extra year of riding out of it.

Now when my turn signals are on, my headlight flickers...which should mean to me that there's little reserve in my battery to power the headlight and a meager turn signal bulb. And I don't have any fancy light bars...but I do have an LED light bar which draws very little juice.

Plus my on board voltmeter is pushing 15V all the time, meaning my alternator is working all the time to keep that old battery boosted so that's not good news either.
MOBILIS IN MOBILI

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:02 am

Actually, the Shorai batteries from Wing Stuff are Lithium IRON as opposed to Lithium ION.

Newer rechargeable lithium batteries use lithium iron phosphate, or LiFePO4. From both a health perspective and an environmental viewpoint, this non-toxic chemical is a significant improvement over the older Li-ion (lithium ion) rechargeable battery made of lithium cobalt dioxide LiCoO2

Read more at http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/en ... yWoH4RI.99

I wish I had known this when I replaced my battery, as I went with Lithium ION (although they also may be Lithium IRON). Found here, and much more expensive.

http://www.ballisticparts.com/

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”