windsheild adjuster replacement

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
sunshineman68
Motorcycle: 2006 GL 1800 Roadsmith Trike

windsheild adjuster replacement

Postby sunshineman68 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:08 pm

I have an 2003 GL1800 and I need to replace my windshield adjuster. I am seeing that I need to take off the "meter visor panel" which makes sense, but on my bike it looks like the part of the meter visor panel that is on the driver side of the windshield as opposed to the front fender side, is attached just under the gray plastic panel that houses the speakers. So if you are following me, do I need to take off the gray meter panel to get access to whatever is holding down the end of the "meter visor panel" I guess you can tell I don't have a service manual, but I would like to know what I need to take off to properly replace the windshield adjuster mechanism. I don't have any ratcheting in my adjuster it just goes up and down freely with nothing to stop it..................

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: windsheild adjuster replacement

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:42 am

Not sure what you are calling "windshield adjuster"?
Having said that-I know of no reason to remove the meter panel to do any "work" on the windshield or it's mechanical parts!
You need to remove the windshield garnish panel to access all the windshield parts.
The garnish panel is the large bike colored panel in fornt of and just below the windshield. It is the part w/the air vent opening in it.
You really need a manual if you are doing "work" on your Wing.
Hope I have not misunderstood your intent and mislead you.
Let us know how it goes

sunshineman68
Motorcycle: 2006 GL 1800 Roadsmith Trike

Re: windsheild adjuster replacement

Postby sunshineman68 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:50 am

Quite the job, one of those things that you wish you had not started, but were past the point of no return. Lots of stuff had to come off, and you are correct about the service manual, I have one on its way. So anyway I did manage to get this done, but would still be in the garage swearing and cursing if not for a couple of guys coaching me thru this LEARNING experience. So thanks for the input...........Mike

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”