sticky switches push them in can't get them to come out

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
mwilke
Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Goldwing

sticky switches push them in can't get them to come out

Postby mwilke » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:23 am

The switches for the 4 way hazard and the fog lights stick , so when I turn them on its a gamble wheather or not they will turn off. Is there a way to get in there to clean or lub them up? Also the switch for the cruse control same thing push it and it's hard to get it to come out. Thank you in advance for all your ideas.

Peppyone1955
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500A Aspencade

Re: sticky switches push them in can't get them to come out

Postby Peppyone1955 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:44 am

This is a problem alot of people have. Most of the time spraying switches with contact cleaner will cure the problem.I have had this problem with my switches & found that it was due to thick grease in the switch after disassembly. Problem was worse the colder the temp was outside.If the contact cleaner doesen't help then you might disassemble the switches, clean them, & put alittle dielectric grease in them. That worked for me! Good Luck

TITANIUM-TILL
Motorcycle: 2004 Honda Goldwing 1800
2009 Harley Ultra Classic

Postby TITANIUM-TILL » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:39 pm

Go to Radio Shack and buy some non-conductive Electronics parts/contact cleaner and spray in the switches it worked great for me. Sometimes moisture get in there and causes things to stick or not make good contact.

wexwing
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800

Postby wexwing » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:05 pm

I have had some success with silicon spray lubricant with sticky switches. Whilst it is better to take it apart for a proper job, if short on time spray it into the gap around the switch and operate the switch a few times.

Hope this is of help

mrmegoo

Postby mrmegoo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:24 pm

Anyone know if sticking switches are covered under warranty? :?
2006 GL1800 Audio****1983 GL1100 Interstate****1977 GL1000 Standard
Hug your children everyday & tell them that you love them. They are our greatest natural resource.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:44 pm

I would imagine - unless one has been the cause of the switches being sticky. The dealership would probably do their best for you if you have a good rapport with them.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

gogs11uk
Motorcycle: GL1800
CBR600

Postby gogs11uk » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:34 am

I had this exact same problem. i took the panel out and removed the switch. i sprayed it liberally with electrical contact cleaner and this freed it of and would work well. i than lubicated the switch using WD40 and let it dry out a bit before I put it back together. Works fine now.

Also had this problem with the front brake light micro switch. Checked the bike over for the MOt and all was working well but when in getting the test the front brake switch failed. The vwehicle examiner let me fiddle with the switch and got it kid of working and he accepted that for the test. Got the bike home and removed the switch. Again gave it a good soaking with the contact cleaner and got it working again. Works well now.

for the sake of a few pounds, it was the best money I spent on getting a tin of decent contact cleaner. i also use it on my computer at home when the fans get noisy.

rrobason
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800A

Postby rrobason » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:07 pm

The "jammed switch" problem has cropped up for me several times on my GL1800: Hazard, Mute, Reverse, and Cruise On/Set, and so forth. The latest incident for me was the Hazard switch - I was forced to pull off the road and spend several minutes trying to release it and stop the flashers. The root cause I've seen is plastic-to-plastic binding between the switch button and housing, and within the switch mechanism. Contact cleanliness doesn't seem to be the common problem.

I've found Lithium grease is a good general solution to the problem:
a) Li grease works well with plastics. It doesn't attack them like some other lubricants that can ruin ABS plastic.
b) Li grease also provides good oxidation resistance for switch contacts (though it looks to me like Honda uses Gold contacts in the switches I've looked at - and Gold won't oxidize).

A thin film between mating surfaces and inside the switch itself will do the trick. I tend to lay it on easy, since I believe big globs of grease only act to collect dirt and dust that exacerbate the problem.

You should be able to find Li grease in various forms at your hardware, auto parts, or electronics store.
Rob Robason
"Have Goldwing - will travel"

whynot
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800A

Postby whynot » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:49 pm

I used superglue and stuck a plastic knob (like the ones that goes on drawers) on my emergency and fog light switches. and have been pulling them out when they don't pop out by themselves. Of course you want to simulate the push and then pull as though the spring is doing its work. Hope this works. I have not been able to use the same method for the reverse and cruise control swithces though.

ink4him
Motorcycle: 2003 Yamaha VSTAR 1100 Silverado

Postby ink4him » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:08 am

Rob, you are so right about the lithium grease. I took the Mr. Wrench Lithium grease, just a little goes a long way, and it did the trick. No more sticky cruise button.

MarkBirm
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby MarkBirm » Sun May 01, 2011 7:06 pm

Ok guys, How about just the opposite problem, my hazard switch will not stay in the on position. I have tried the electronic spray but it still does not stay on. How hard and what do you have to do to get to the switch. I have a 03, and have had it for about a year now, first problem!
Mark (Cobra) Birmingham
PGR Ride Captain 2008 GL1800

simond
Motorcycle: 2002 1800GL goldwing

Postby simond » Mon May 02, 2011 4:19 pm

Hi,

I had the same problem with mine,

The only way i could get mine to work properly was to spray a little wd40 into the switch, this worked a treat and i dont have any problems now

Hope this helps

Simon

EKG
Motorcycle: 2007 1800

Postby EKG » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:52 pm

Yep, I had the 4 way stick and the start switch. Just sprayed them with a lot of contact cleaner and no problems since. I didn't even take them apart.
Cheers!

gogs11uk
Motorcycle: GL1800
CBR600

Postby gogs11uk » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:44 am

MarkBirm wrote:Ok guys, How about just the opposite problem, my hazard switch will not stay in the on position. I have tried the electronic spray but it still does not stay on. How hard and what do you have to do to get to the switch. I have a 03, and have had it for about a year now, first problem!

If you take of the strip that runs down the top of the fairing, you will be able to access the allen screw that holds the complete panel on. From here remove the electrical wires from their holders and then you remove a plate on the back and then you can see the 2 screws that hold in the switch. Undo these and the switch will come out.

On the switch itself you will see a hole in the slide (the white part) and you can direct your contact cleaner in here.

Best of luck m8.

Gordie

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”