NEW Winger w/ Premium Audio Issues

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
texas tracy
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800a and a 2001 Suzuki Intruder Volusia C50

NEW Winger w/ Premium Audio Issues

Postby texas tracy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:35 am

Well, I bought my first GL1800 this past weekend. So this is my first post and as a newbie I have some questions about the Goldwing. I will start with this one and come back later with more inquiries. My wing is a 2006 GL1800, it has the Nava. Comfort package, ABS, and the Premium Audio system. The bike was well taken care off by the first owner, which is who I bought it from. The previous owner also added a Ham radio transceiver and a Gramin 2650 GPS and wired a Bluetooth transmitter to the intercom for a cell phone. There are three antennas on the tour pack. Everything was working when I picked up.

I have read the operator’s manual on how to operate the sound system. It worked fine on both AM and FM until I removed the GPS and the Ham radio control heads. I just unplugged the 2 units and rolled up the wires and tied them off. I did not disconnect any other wiring assonated with these two devises. The radio worked for a very brief time, but was cutting out as if it was loosing it's signal. Now, I can not hear any sound coming from the radio through the 4 speaker. The LED display shows that the speakers are selected and an RX in the lower right of the screen is steady (not flashing). I think the RX indicates that a signal is getting to the radio receiver. (Is that a proper assumption?) I have not transmitted over the CB, but I can hear air noise and transmissions over the speakers. The mute button is in the off position and I get a display showing that both the AM and FM radios are on. The last transmission I heard from the radio was intermittent and sounded like it had a bad wiring connection some where, but I have not touched anything or removed anything but the GPS and the HAM radio control heads. I thought I would re-connect the HAM radio head to see if corrected the problem, but I wouldn’t think that would have anything to do with the sound system.

Any advice or suggestion or ideas?

Thanks and please be kind to the new guy.

texas tracy

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: NEW Winger w/ Premium Audio Issues

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:40 pm

I believe if you are seeing "RX" it means the CB is receiving a signal, in which case it will mute the radio. Try adjusting the squelch on the CB, or turning the CB off altogether.

texas tracy
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800a and a 2001 Suzuki Intruder Volusia C50

Postby texas tracy » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:02 am

Thank you for your response to my problem. Yes, I found that out. I decide to turn everything “OFF” and start over. You are right the CB was turned “ON”. When I turned the CB “OFF” the “good time” radio came “ON” loud and clear. I did not have any problems with the radio while I rode to work. I am also glade to know what “RX” indicates. I will try adjusting the squelch on the CB to see if the radio will play with the CB “ON”. It kind of defeats the purpose of having a CB and Good Time radio on the bike if both of them will not work while the other is “ON”. Is it an either/are deal?

Thank you again for your help.
TT

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:36 am

No, the idea is that you hear the radio, until a transmission comes in on the CB. The system then mutes the radio in order to play the CB transmission, and at the end of the transmission, the radio resumes.

How the CB decides whether a signal is strong enough to be assumed to be a transmission is adjusted with the squelch. Increase the squelch, and only very strong (i.e. nearby) transmission will break the squelch and be heard. Decrease the squelch, and every bit of noise and static will break the squelch, and it will mute the radio continuously.

Where this gets confusing is if you have the CB volume turned down - the squelch will mute the radio, but you won't hear the CB - so it sounds like the radio is just cutting out for no reason. I have been caught by this more than once!

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”