In Trunk Helmet Latch

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

In Trunk Helmet Latch

Postby wvan1894 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:37 pm

The knob has come off the left side helmet latch in my trunk, and the latch is loose. Is there a way to re-install the knob without a major overhaul of the trunk?

Motorcycle: 2003 gl1800

Re: In Trunk Helmet Latch

Postby ssncob » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:39 pm

Saw this was posted quite some time ago, but here's an answer for someone else to use. I had mine come off when I was putting a wig-wag on my 02. Found my flip lever handles loose in the trunk. They have a flat spot on the inside hole that lines up with a flat spot on the helmet latch lever post. Line up the lever to the post, and just push it on. It will click into place. May have to hold the helmet latch up to provide pressure against the flip handle while pushing it on.

Motorcycle: 2007 gl1800

Re: In Trunk Helmet Latch

Postby wingfart » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:53 pm

The knobs for the helmet release have locking tabs on them. When the knob is pressed down on the shaft, the locking tabs should compress, go down thru a hole in the bottom of the trunk and them snap out and lock. If the knob isn't shoved down far enough the locking tabs won't snap out and lock. Earlier bikes were know to have shafts that were a wee bit to long, so that the knob couldn't be shoved down far enough. The solution was to take a small amount from the top of the shaft.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”