Legs Down by LandinGear

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
docgood
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Goldwing

Legs Down by LandinGear

Postby docgood » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:57 am

I need to remove the left pannier on my 2009 Wing, and a few other other bits to install the Legs Up. The pannier might be a bit of bother. Has anyone done a Legs Up install.

chrisgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 gl1800

Re: Legs Down by LandinGear

Postby chrisgl1800 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:19 am

No, but I have been looking at them closely. Let me know just how hard they are to install and if the work like they are advertised......
thanks,
Chris
chrisgl1800
Previous rides: 2004 HD Softail; 2006 HD Streetglide; 2009 GL1800
Authorized Amsoil Dealer
Patriot Guard Rider
http://www.lubedealer.com/crawford

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:17 am

They really want $3500 to $4000 for those? Might almost be worth it to go the extra $8K and go full trike. Only my opinion, so it is worth what was paid for it, :lol:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

docgood

Postby docgood » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:42 pm

Looks like we three have the 2009 'wing. No knowledge of the pannier removal? Oh well, will push on.
Most of the eastern states of Australia are suffering an extended wet, we received 907 mm or 36 inches
of rain for the month of March. This has delayed my travels south to Brisbane-700 miles- where a friend
who is quite a lot more skilled than I am in these matters - most people are - who says that there should
not be any real trouble with the install. Might take a couple of days though with due consideration given
to the beer drinking.
There is a speed recognition device that attaches to the front wheel. This instructs the gear to lower and
raise at about the 10 mph. A lot of Australian roads, highways included have a steep camber to allow for
water to escape from the driving surface. I do not want the gear to lower when I am in traffic at the 10
mph with one side scraping the high surface and creating drag. Hence this will not be included in the install.
The plan is to operate manually when at fuel stations, shopping centres, traffic lights and of course
when arriving at home base in the shed. Should then just be a matter of routine, like into second gear,
up the landing gear. Less than a second to clear the road surface. Replaces centre stand.
Regarding the cost, I paid AU$2000 for mine second hand from a rider in Melbourne. He suffered a stroke
and went to trike conversion. This cost him between AU$20 and AU$25,000 and this is his true story to me.
He had some massive problems with registration (weight) requirements etc in his home state of Victoria
with the finished product Conversion done in Queensland and registration in Victoria. Different laws. Anyway,
I do not favour the trikes at all. I like to lean the machine and the heavy steering on a trike takes some
of the fun away.As we all know the GL1800 is big enough as it is, over half a tonne with me up.
I have had my licence continiously since 1959, brand new Honda Dream 250, and as that old warrior
called Time slowly tracks me down, I am hoping that the LandinGear will allow me to enjoy some extra
years in the saddle. And, man what a machine to do it on.Who would ever have thought, back in 1959
there would be anything like a Goldwing GL1800.Shows that there is a machine for everyone.
Thank you for your views and perhaps in the southern spring I shall be able to advise you of a successful
install. Best wishes to you.

chrisgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 gl1800

Postby chrisgl1800 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:29 am

Please keep us informed on how it goes, and we do need pictures of the change over....good luck and God speed...and be careful.
chrisgl1800
Previous rides: 2004 HD Softail; 2006 HD Streetglide; 2009 GL1800
Authorized Amsoil Dealer
Patriot Guard Rider
http://www.lubedealer.com/crawford

docgood

Postby docgood » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:45 pm

Thanks, will do when the time comes. Further bad news though. My installer in the south of the state ended up under his ride on mower and three broken ribes 2 chipped vertebrae and a hole in the lung.Haven't heard any more yet
but might be a while before he is fit to crawl about on the concrete floor. He is a lot younger than me so with care should be fit in a month or two. There are some pictures in the install download manual, if you are interested. Will keep in touch.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:40 pm

Owch, I hope your friend makes a full recovery.. Those sound like nasty injuries!! I never thought cutting the grass could be so dangerous.. :D

Gary

docgood

Postby docgood » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:57 pm

Yep, they are on one of those 100 acre blocks and have just recently , well almost, finished building their own home on it. Some of it is a bit steep in the short grass areas, and it is easy enough to do, just lose concentration, take the wrong angle on the turn and as in Eric's case roll it, land on a spikey stump and have the machine land on you. It is not as though he is one of those 'softer' people, as coming home from the stock exchange (sic) to the farm and jumping on the ride-on, he has worked for many years overseas like Saudia Arabia, Bangladesh and a lot of Africe with the resource industry , like seismic survery, mining etc. Currentry works 14 day on and 14 days off in the desert areas of S.W. Queensland.Unfortunatley rides a hd. Anyway, thats life (ref. Ned Kelly). Thanks

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:13 am

I had a tractor come over on me once - I was at the bottom of a fairly steep hill facing upward, my foot slipped off the clutch, the front wheels came up off the ground, and I knew it was coming over. I jumped off before it landed on me, it ended up upside down, blades still spinning. Lawn mowing is dangerous!!

My mailman lost the top inch of the three middle fingers of his right hand last winter. His snow blower got jammed. He shut the engine off, and once it had stopped, he reached in to pull out the stick that had jammed it - and as soon as the stick came loose, the tension in the system spin the auger and sliced his fingers off. I never before thought about a snow blower being dangerous even after it was shut down. I won't ever be sticking my hand in mine ever again.

Speaking of which, I'm happy to announce that I think it's time to put my snow blower away for the season. :)

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:49 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Speaking of which, I'm happy to announce that I think it's time to put my snow blower away for the season. :)

Here here for putting the snowblower away, but I will need to take it out one more time to clean and paint it for next winter. I have had a couple of beautiful days yesterday and today to ride, and the salt has been washed from the roads by the rain we got last weekend. It is a glorious time to be alive.....ride on my brothers.

Rather than a legs down, I just ordered a short center stand (called a ride off, I believe) to give myself a leg up, so to speak.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

docgood

Postby docgood » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Well finally got my mate to come up from Brisbane and after a couple of days the Legs were installed, without the speed sensor.
It is OK for the purpose I want it for, just rolling into the shed, or at the fuel-up or the shopping centre. It sometimes takes a bit of messing about to get it all lit up at the start but then OK. Probably operators error. My mate said that the instructions that came with it were very, very good. The computer easily fits under the CD player. I will first, see if I can get some pics of it installed, and second see if I can load them. I would not do it if my friend didn't need that bit of cash to help him get the trike.
I am slowly getting ready to take my little camper trailer on a 17,000 to 20,000 km trip around Australia from here in Central Coastal Queensland via Broome in Western Australia to Perth and then return home via the Nullabor. But that is another story. Thanks for your interest.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”