Tire Problem

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
bthacker
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800
1977 GL1000

Tire Problem

Postby bthacker » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:41 am

I have a tire problem. First I have a 2005 Wing Purchased new in 2005. The original set of tires lasted about 11,000 miles but cupped very bad and had the dreaded front end wobble. I replaced them with the Dunlop 250. I got only about 9,000 miles before they wore out but they did not cup or have the dreaded front wobble. I do ride it hard on the twisty here in East Tennessee. Thought I would try the Bridgestone G709 and G704. Put them on, balanced them and wow I almost wrecked it several times today. You start to lean into a curve and it will almost fall on it’s side then you have got to pull it back up right when you exit the curve. It sesames to hold in a curve alright but has a un-easy feel to it. When you are running straight it feels like I am on ice. Was in a 5mph wind with gust up to 10mph. Had a 750 Honda in front of me and would watch him move a little on the gust but I would go from white line to yellow line. I was all over the road. It felt like a bike that was extremely top heavy. It felt like the tire was V shaped and had about ¼” on the highway. When I would let off the throttle it would head shake and feel very un-stable and when on the throttle it felt very un-stable with some head shake. I have rode trials sense 1974 and feel that my balance is better than most but not after today. With my old Dunlop 205s I could stop and balance for a few seconds, now when I slow down to under 10mh I am all over the road. I have a friend that I have rode with for several years that we can ride on a two lane road side by side without any problems until now. I am having problems just keeping it on my side of the road let alone keeping it in half lane. I tried to lower my suspension and it seamed to help with the head shake a little but still unstable. I lowered the tire pressure in front from 41psi to 36psi then down to 32psi and then the rear tring to get it to settle down without success. These tires are dangerous!!!! I am an experienced rider. I am 50yrs old and have raced sense I was 8yrs old. I feel if I were an in-experienced rider I would have wrecked on many occasions today, I almost ran into the ditch twice comming out of curves and in the wind. My shoulders hurt from fighting the bike all day, it is normnaly a great handling bike. Has anyone had this problem with these tires. I am getting ready to return them to Bridgestone with a letter on what they can do with them. These things are JUNK!!!!

Would like to hear from others running these tires, did I get a bad batch of tires or are they junk.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: Tire Problem

Postby thrasherg » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:02 am

I have not tried bridgestones on my wing, but I run them on all my sports bikes and love them. I am really surprised to hear of the issues you are having. Your pressures look to be correct (I run Avons at those pressures (41psi rear, 38 psi front) and they handle great). I would be very interested to hear what bridgestone say if you do write to them, in the meantime, I would strongly recommend trying the Avon Venoms!!

Gary

bthacker
1977 GL1000

Postby bthacker » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:11 pm

Thanks Gary, I too have ran the bridgestones on sport bikes. The bt016 and bt023 have been good tires. That is one reason I did not hesitate purchasing these. But I think bridgestone screwed up on these tires or I got a bad set of tires one. The problem is money is tight right now and I am facing parking the bike until I can get the money to buy something else. I see you brag on the Avons but I think I will go back to the Dunlops when I get the money, they have proven there selves to me and don't have the money to play around with another un-known.
Thank You
Brian

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:16 pm

With tyres, you need to go with what you feel comfortable with.. A lot of the tyre confidence factor is in our minds, and we are all different, so definitely go with Dunlops if that is what you feel good with.. I have the BT003's on my R6 and they are great, just hope bridgestone treats you right and you get this fixed, tyres are expensive and you don't want a set that are not right..

Gary

bthacker
1977 GL1000

Postby bthacker » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:32 pm

Just spoke to bridgestone about this problem. Talked to a very nice person. I was told that this tire was designed this way to make the wing to ack like a sportbike. He also went further to say that he had never heard this complaint before about this tire. I don't know how anyone could ride this tire. With my old woreout Dunlop 250s it still had a good planted feel, very stable on the highway. I could ride in a group and stay very close to the person in front of me or even beside them and feel secure in staying in my lane, even let go with one hand to work the radio or what ever. Just going down the road streight it feels like when you have a sportbike in full power and the front tire is just leaving the ground, if you have ever done this the bike gets that un-stable, light feel to it like you could not turn it if you turned the handlebars and control the bike if you needed to.

Anyone want to buy a set of tires CHEEP!!!! I will probley send these to the recycler.

dragon2000
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie

Postby dragon2000 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:56 pm

I've never anything good or bad about Bridgetone tires and have always used Dunlops. When I bought my Honda's (Valkyrie & Wing) they both had the regular OEM's.

On my Valyrie, from the OEM I went to the Dunop E2's and then E3's of which each raised the milage approx by 10K (KM's). This is to say 11, 23 & 30K (KM's) from each model. For the tire pressue I run 40 PSI front and rear. It was with this that I received 30K from the E3's.

With my new Wing and the OEM D250's the tire wear after 5500 km's is pretty good. I expect to get better as I am installing Centramatics this week. Some how after reading all of the reviews I figured I had nothing to loose if I gained the mileage boosted having these.

Where as I have read reviews for Avons, Metzlers, Dunlop and now Bridgestone, does anyone have any experience with Conti's? They are mentioned on the GW Stuff website. Don't get me wrong, I am not promoting them. I am just curious as to whether anyone has any experience with them, good or bad.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/16_featured_gl1800_accessories/29204_stainless_centramatic_goldwing_wheel_balancers/

http://wingstuff.com/search_list.php?searchval=gl1800+tires
Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Ontario, Canada

bthacker
1977 GL1000

Postby bthacker » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:22 am

I feel that something is wrong with one or both of these tires, more so than just that they are a sportbike tire somehow shoehorned to fit a heavy tour bike. The bike should not headshake when you let off the gas and get worse when you hit the rear brake. It should not go down the highway very unstable not being able to keep it straight on a flat level highway. As I told the bridgestone rep. I purchased a tour bike because the way it handled and rode. If I had wanted a sportbike ride and handling I would have purchased a sportbike. I just don't see tring to take a 900 pound touring bike made to go down the highway in style and comfort and use it to knee drag. You don't see Goldwings at Daytona and there is a good reason for that. Just FYI I have owned a few sportbikes (RC51, R6, CBR) and if they had handled like this I would have put them up for sale the next day. They did not headshake or walk around on the highway. I now understand that this is not the tire for me even if they did not have a problem and now have to shell out for another set of tires and send these to the dump. An expensive lesson learned and will go back to my good reliable Dunlops D250s where the bike will ride and handle the way a tour bike should. I just cannot understand why anyone would want a 900lb tour bike to handle like a sportbike.

crs319
Motorcycle: 1985 sabre

Postby crs319 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:25 pm

Is the rotation direction corect? Are the fronts on the front and not the back? Sounds like something is wrong dispite what the vendor says.

Mike

buyarbi
Motorcycle: 2008 goldwing

Postby buyarbi » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:01 pm

I have the 704 and 709 combo on a 2008 1800. With the tire pressure at 35 on both tires it seems like the bike wants to snake just turning. With 43 lbs pressure in both the bike is like a balerina. With 32 lbs in the front you are asking for trouble to come callin for sure.

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Postby Steve F » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:54 pm

I would think about letting someone at the dealer ride and evaluate it, and see what they think. Also, check all of the details: tires mounted correctly so that the tire rotation is correct, tire size correct for the rim, are the wheels tight to the axle(s), front axle tight to the forks, rear wheel lugs tight, neck bearings in good shape and tight? etc, etc. Wandering around on the road and head shakes can be traced to problems with the neck bearings. How was the bike raised to remove the front wheel? did something come loose in the process?
I know, a lot of questions, but they need some inspection and consideration.
Steve F
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

Wingrider55
Motorcycle: 2004 GL 1800

Postby Wingrider55 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:56 pm

I think you got a bad tire or a bad set of tires. I just had Bridgestone's put on my 04 wing and feel they are better than the Dunlop E3's. If it were me, I would take it to a dealer that specializes in motorcycle tire and have them check it out. As soon as I put on the new tires the head shake I had with the Dunlop's has gone away. So far I am very happy with the Bridgestone's

coy55boy
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800

Postby coy55boy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:09 pm

You could have a bad set of tires, but I really think that's unlikely. There could also be problems in your suspension (forks, steering head bearings, front axle, wheel bearings), but if everything was riding OK before you got the tires, I would look first for any issues that may have been introduced during the tire change itself. I would take the front wheel off paying close attention to installation details. Check the tire balance. Sometimes mechanics get lazy or just make a stupid mistake. The troubles you describe go way beyond 'sport-bike design' for a tire. I'm not a big fan of Bridgestone tires, but this sounds much more like a mechanical problem than a rubber problem.

bthacker
1977 GL1000

Postby bthacker » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:54 pm

The tires were mounted properly, balanced properly, checked them before removing them. I broke them down and examined them, I re-mounted them and rebalanced them still the same outcome. I tried different air pressure combos, different suspension setting. Some things helped a little but still had headshake and uneasy feel. I did fix it, I purchased a new set of Dunlop D250s and now the bike handles like it should. Used bridgestones as fire starters to burn some brush. Did not want anyone to ever mount these tires, feel they would wreck. I don't know if they were bad tires or poor designed but I know I will never purchase another bridgestone tire again. Feel bridgestone should have at least worked with me in hopes of resolving this issue. To remove a set of tires that were running fine just worn badly to a set of new tires that were horrible, then changing back to new, old type tires and the bike performs properly tells me that my suspension is alright, my head bearings are alright. Either bad tires or bad design.

buyarbi
Motorcycle: 2008 goldwing

Postby buyarbi » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:29 am

I have about 7000 kilometers on the bridgestones now. I drive quite aggresively and drag the kuriakin footpegs quite often. They stick out a bit further than the stock pegs. The ride is still fine but the rear tire is cupping . Still ample tread. It feels like fish scales when I run my hand over the tire. The edges of each tread sort of swoop up . Front tire is showing minimal wear. I have been running around 40 lbs pressure.

okstay
Motorcycle: 2014 gl1800

Postby okstay » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:05 pm

I also have a 2005 wing and have had this same problem. Not as bad as you describe. I put dunlop 250's on and the bike handle much better and it felt much more "familiar" to handle. It corners with confidence now. With the other tires I would have to fight the handlebars to correct the bike. It was very tiring. Try going back to the 250's. You might also want to check you steering head bearings. Good luck.

snackpak
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby snackpak » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:07 pm

Never had a problem with my stones.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”