smelling coolant when bike is first cranked up.

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
ktwgoldwing
Motorcycle: 2002 gl1800 Goldwing

smelling coolant when bike is first cranked up.

Postby ktwgoldwing » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:40 pm

I was smelling antifreeze when I first cranked up the bike and the other day I found coolant on the cow right above the fog light. I was able to run my finger under the fairing right above that point and feel coolant on the hose under the fairing. I found the hose goes to the radiator just above it and I was able to remove the panal inside the fairing and remove the vent and tighten the clamp through the vent on the front of the fairing.

nsjoe
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800A

Re: smelling coolant when bike is first cranked up.

Postby nsjoe » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:42 am

Those hoses coming loose are common. I think I need to tighten mine as well. Were you able to get to both sides of the hose through the vent?
Joe
Darksider #493

ktwgoldwing
Motorcycle: 2002 gl1800 Goldwing

Postby ktwgoldwing » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:00 am

at the time I only tightened the one that I found loose and it was the one that came down on the front of the radiator. I removed the black panal from the front of the bike and then I was able to remove the panal from the side behind the vent and then I removed the short part of the vent on the inside of the fairing and then I was able to move the vent that was still in there and pull the fairing the other way and I used a 1/4 in rachet with a long extension with a 6mm socket and put it in the vent from the outside and tightened the clamp. I was able to find the leak because their
was a green ring dried around the top of the hose when I looked at it. I hope this will help you. You will have to use a flashlight to see this clamp.
Their is another web site that has some more info if you are not familiar with it called www.gl1800riders.com you can go to that has some how to and tech tips on it and these guys like to post pictures. one of the hard things about the hoses is a lot of the hoses are under the gas tank so you will have to remove the gas tank. check out the site. Have a blessed day.

nsjoe
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800A

Postby nsjoe » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:21 am

thanks for the reply ktw

Joe
Darksider #493

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”