Newb with a speaker and i-comm question

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Newb with a speaker and i-comm question

Postby Steve F » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:09 pm

I've been lurking and searching around the various posts regarding rear speakers (for an '03 GL1800), headset intercoms, and such, and was wondering what the most widely recommended items you all are using, and where you get the best deals. I figure that J&M sells quality stuff, but is there something else?
Regarding the passenger headset, is there a seperate volume control?
I was also wondering about hooking up an MP3 player to the AUX input on the radio, but I would also like the audio from the GPS to go in there too. I just don't know enough about these things to determine if it can even be done. Like if I'm listening to the radio, and the GPS starts talking, is there an automatic muting feature so I can hear the GPS? Is there another way of doing this that I don't know about?
Steve F
Attachments

"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: Newb with a speaker and i-comm question

Postby tfdeputydawg » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:19 pm

Would really take to long to answer all you questions here but, here's a link to a wonderful source that than can address and supply all you need:
http://www.sierra-mc.com/
Read and study. Pay particular attention to the GL2way and BikeMP3 units.
J&M Elites are good
I also have a lower cord for my wife that includes a volume control. Due to my hearing loss, I turn volume to my liking, she thens lowers hers to her loking. She has no desire to transmit on the CB, so no separate controler for that on my bike.
I also added a RF/Wind filter to the rear passenger audio cord. Reduced but, did not eleminate all wind noise. Puttin small ballons over the mics took care of it!
There is a mute setting, more than one actually! You need to study your owners manual, if you got one w/the bike. If not, you need to get a service manual, has much more info in it!
You can also, for example play the FM over the speakers and have the CB play through the headsets!

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Re: Newb with a speaker and i-comm question

Postby Steve F » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:47 pm

Thanks for the link to Sierra electronics! they have just the things I was talking about, and I would like to get the headsets next. The MP3 player and the CB radio hub shows what this company is all about, and their stuff looks really nice. Does anyone have any experience with their products....the radio interfaces and the CB unit? I just ordered a set of speakers from them, and look forward to getting them installed. I think I'll have plenty of time to do this, since the weather here is going to be crappy for the next 10 days or so. :x I have the pigtale wire for the audio input in the left fairing box, and now I need to get one of those 12v outlets installed in there too.....where do I get one that's plug'n play?
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”