Headstock berings on 2003 wing

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
winglag
Motorcycle: 2003 gl1800

Headstock berings on 2003 wing

Postby winglag » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:45 am

hi every 1 i have a 2003 wing i have had it for 7 years and never had a problem apart from replaceing batterys every 2 years but thanks to gel-batterys i have no more probs in that area.the problem i do have is when i took my wing for its yearly check up we found that when you take the load off the front wheel the front end moves back and forwards but when the bike is sat with front wheel on the floor there is no movement back and forward at all is this normal or is it just a case of retighten the headstock bolt or is it new berings that need to be fitted the bike is still low milage 28000 so far just 1 more thing how do i get to the bolt :roll: all help is appreciated

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: Headstock berings on 2003 wing

Postby cbx4evr » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:48 am

Have you done any work to the forks internally?
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

winglag

Postby winglag » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:38 am

no i have not done any work to the bike at all and there has been no problems with it in all the years i have had the bike apart from eating batterys but thats sorted now with new gel battery

keithg64
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue

Postby keithg64 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:01 pm

Yes it will need at the very least tightened up. I would take it apart, check the bearing races and eather relace the bearings and races if needed or just repack with grease and reinstall. Not sure how to do the 1800's but I did my 1500 over the winter. Not a real hard job but did take a little time.
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:50 am

Doing the steering head is a lot of work. First you have to take all the plastic off the front end to get at the steering, and done the way Honda would like you to, the forks need to come off. Then you can begin on the steering head. If the bearings are in good shape, then lubricate (grease) them, and put the steering back together. Do not tighten them too much. They need to have a preload, but not be too tight or too loose. You already know what to loose is. The preload is set with the forks and wheel back on, but with the wheel not touching the ground. You tighten the steering head nut till you feel it is good, then turn the wheel slightly to the right and to the left. The weight of the wheel should pull the steering all the way left and all the way right on it's own, with no front to back play in the steering like you have now. If the bearings need to be replaced, then so do the races, and here great care must be taken, as the bike frame is aluminum and the races are steel. There are special tools for getting the races out and back in without damaging the steering head. Honda says there is also a special tool for the steering head nut, but you should be able to get it with a socket. The procedure in a manual takes about twelve pages, half of which are pictures, but it all looks pretty normal to me. If you are mechanically proficient you should be good to go.

Viking
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:05 am

If you are lucky, just re-tighten the bearings should solve the problem, but depending how loose they are and how long you have ridden with them loose, you might have dented the races. If you have then tightening them will remove the movement that you have seen, but will cause strange handling due to the bearings dropping into and raising out of the dents. It's a lot of work, but I would be looking to remove the steering stem, clean the bearings, check the bearing surfaces for dents and then re-grease the bearings and re-assemble with the correct torque.. As mentioned, it's a lot of work gaining access to the bearings, but dodgy handling is not a pleasant thing, especially on a bike as heavy as the wing!! Better safe than sorry. :lol:

Gary

winglag

Postby winglag » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:01 pm

thanks guys it looks like i am going to have a nice long holiday in the garage with my wing i am going to start the work tomorrow and do all work that needs to be done if i have any probs i hope i can ask you guys i will let every 1 know how it went when i am done

pau7220
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Comfort / Nav / Audio XM / ABS

Postby pau7220 » Tue May 03, 2011 3:53 pm

Here's the instructions on how to do it>>>>>>>

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/stembearings

Do yourself a favor...... it's so much work to get to, replace them with the "All Balls" roller bearings from Wingstuff. They eliminate the "wobble" and give a much more solid feel to the bike....... Trust me!!

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”