CB radio question

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

CB radio question

Postby Steve F » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:47 am

For some reason, I can't envision this working very well....Let's say for instance, you have a bike with the CB installed, you're listening to tunes from the MP3 player, you would like to use the intercom.... I'm not sure how this works (since I don't have the CB) but wouldn't it require a PTT button to transmit on the CB, or is this a VOX thing? How do you use the intercom if the VOX is used for that purpose, and you don't want all the chit-chat going out over the CB?

As long as some of you are still reading this and kinda give a crap to this point, Do any of you have the FRS or GMRS radios instead of the CB (children's band) radio? How do they hook-up and use the handlebar controls if that's possible?

Steve F

"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: CB radio question

Postby thrasherg » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:00 pm

Hi Steve, there is a PTT switch on the left handlebar control. The CB will ONLY transmit when the PTT switch is pushed.. You can talk to your passenger and listen to music and no-one else will hear it, when you hit the PTT switch it selects the microphones and people will only hear what is said whilst the PTT switch is pushed. The CB can direct it's audio output to your helmet or the external speakers, if you direct it to your helmet, the music will be turned off whenever the CB receives a signal (Depends on your squelch levels), if the CB goes to the speakers and you have the intercom going to your helmet, then you can still hear the music and intercom in your helmet even when the CB is coming out of the external speakers.. The system works quite well. I have no experience with an FRS radio on a wing.

Gary

docgood
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Goldwing

Postby docgood » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:24 pm

What is FRS radio and does the Goldwing come with CB installed in the US. You use different frequency to us in Australia. It might be an expensive operation having one installed here, I have yet to investigate it. Should have one I suppose as the truckies are very helpful here with advice on location of speed inforcement devices, road conditions and making allowance for one to overtake. We have quite a lot of "narrow gutted" roads in parts of the country.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:31 pm

Hi Doc,

Wings in the US do NOT come with CB's fitted as standard, it's an expensive option!! The controls for the CB are present, switches on handlebars, etc but no electronics are present, you have to buy the CB radio from Honda and have it fitted. The CB unit is around $500-$700 then you need an antenna and the time to fit it!! So it's not cheap even here in the USA!! FRS is the Family Radio Service, its a band of channels in the 420-440MHz range that are intended to be used by low power radios without a license, just like CB but the power is a few hundred milli watts so the range is line of site at best.. It's very handy for doing things outside (Hiking, walking, etc).. Lots of us also use it for bike to bike communication as it's far less busy than CB and with the range/power being a lot less than on CB, there is far less interference.

Gary

docgood

Postby docgood » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:12 pm

Must it be a Honda CB? I have CB in all three road vehicles and find they are a relative cheap item here. $150-$200 gets the best then about $70 for antenae.Fitting would be the expence with removal of whatever on the bike. I have different units in each vehicle and whether in the truck, ute or the 4 WD , pick up the highway about 7 miles away and even trucks at the village some 15 miles away. Good area for it though with mainly flat country. Thanks for the info.
Peter

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:15 pm

docgood wrote:Must it be a Honda CB? I have CB in all three road vehicles and find they are a relative cheap item here. $150-$200 gets the best then about $70 for antenae.Fitting would be the expence with removal of whatever on the bike. I have different units in each vehicle and whether in the truck, ute or the 4 WD , pick up the highway about 7 miles away and even trucks at the village some 15 miles away. Good area for it though with mainly flat country. Thanks for the info.
Peter

No, it doesn't HAVE to be a Honda supplied CB, and in fact there are a couple of companies that also supply them for Goldwings, HOWEVER, (there is always one of those, isn't there) in order to plug directly into the Goldwings wiring and use the handlebar controls, it would be best to use one of these, either the Honda one, or the aftermarket ones made for the Goldwing. Any rigged unit would play hell setting it up to use the bikes controls. The aftermarket ones are still in the $500 range, with Hondas own being a couple hundred or more higher priced. These "made for Goldwing" units all install in the trunk, and plug into the wiring harness using the connections which are already there. They also make MP3 player units that plug into the CD player harness and use the bikes handlebar controls to change the tunes, acting just like the CD player.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

docgood

Postby docgood » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:47 pm

Thanks, have got the message. Those connections, easy to find? Next time I go to Town will have a look at the Honda people and
see what they have. It is a multi franchise place with a lot of those Asian bikes etc. and did not have a Goldwing on the floor when I was looking. Had their reasons I suppose. Internet might be the way with the AU$ @ US$1.09 The Honda CB probably the way to go too despite the expence and it may have all the install instructions ? I am hoping for a very long trip later in the year. You are very helpful. Hope you have a great summer. Always summer here, maybe for day or two at lower 70 F.in winter. Great place at 21 South.
Thanks again.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:13 pm

docgood wrote:Those connections, easy to find? The Honda CB probably the way to go too despite the expence and it may have all the install instructions ?

The connections are mostly under the seat, and then you need to run one connection forward up the right side of the bike to plug into the handlebar control connection, which is under the front Tupperware. As far as the Honda unit, or the aftermarket, I think it is a tossup, with the Honda unit probably taking the prize due to warrantee availability from your local dealership. Folks with the aftermarket units have instructions for installation also. You can find Honda's instructions here:

http://www.goldwingdocs.com/Docs/Honda% ... -EF0BB.pdf

And the antenna installation instructions here:

http://www.goldwingdocs.com/Docs/Honda% ... -EF0BB.pdf

Google is your friend for locating someone who sells any of this stuff online.

Hope this helps
Viking

ImageImage

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:31 am

docgood

Postby docgood » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:55 pm

That is great information and I apprciate it. I have emailed them (hope it goes there) to confirm Australian frequency available. Is the antenna ready to go or does it have to be measured or some other way adjusted? Do you recommend any particular type, like a splitter or such. Install seems quite straight forward but like most thinks I have a go at there will be a problem in there somewhere.
Thanks again, you are all a great team.
Peter

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:46 am

docgood wrote:That is great information and I apprciate it. I have emailed them (hope it goes there) to confirm Australian frequency available. Is the antenna ready to go or does it have to be measured or some other way adjusted? Do you recommend any particular type, like a splitter or such. Install seems quite straight forward but like most thinks I have a go at there will be a problem in there somewhere.
Peter

Every CB antenna will have to be "tuned" to the CB/cable once it is installed, there is no such thing as a "ready to go" CB antenna. Have a look here: How to tune your CB antenna SWR

comanche
Motorcycle: 2006 GL 1800P triked

Postby comanche » Sun May 01, 2011 12:50 pm

docgood wrote:That is great information and I apprciate it. I have emailed them (hope it goes there) to confirm Australian frequency available. Is the antenna ready to go or does it have to be measured or some other way adjusted? Do you recommend any particular type, like a splitter or such. Install seems quite straight forward but like most thinks I have a go at there will be a problem in there somewhere.
Peter

Peter, I bought a OEM Honda CB and the Honda antenna. Pricy? You bet. However, I can transmit with vehicles over a mile away without doing anything to tweak the SWR on the antenna. I was very suprised as I was a Signal Officer in the Army and know the CB is totally line of sight and when I could clearly be heard and hear vehicles a mile away I knew I had a good unit.

We have a guy in our riding club that put a after market CB on his Harley and every time he transmits being only a few yards away he has to repeat himself as no one can understand him the out put is so low.

ScottyKs
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby ScottyKs » Sun May 01, 2011 1:21 pm

The intercom is voice operated and the cb radio is a push to talk switch.....any time either it is operated it automatically mutes the other.....

salyzyn
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Australian CB?

Postby salyzyn » Sun May 01, 2011 4:36 pm

docgood wrote:That is great information and I apprciate it. I have emailed them (hope it goes there) to confirm Australian frequency available.
With the GL2way integration, they only really offer the American (& Australian HF or 27MHz) CB as fully integrated (with Volume, Power, PTT, channel and squelch from hand controls). They do allow you to use and control multiple radios, the FRS and GPS inputs have Volume, Power and PTT integrated for the secondary radios. This is where the customer added FRS or Australian UHF CB would fit, the squelch and channel would not be on the hand controls. Not having (integrated) squelch control on FRS or UHF CB is OK since they are FM. I believe that the UHF CB in Australia is much more popular than the HF CB?

In any case, the folks that sell the GL2way do not supply an Australian UHF CB, the customer is to supply that. They supply a set of cables to integrate popular radios. They are open to requests for tighter integration similar to the HF CB, but it has to be legal and possible and you will have to patiently work with them.

For example they do have a current experimental option to almost fully integrate an Yeasu FT-857 Amateur Radio for Channel, Volume, Power and PTT; but it lacks the Squelch. The channelization has bank selection which allows me to access all the memories of the FT-857. Not having the direct access to the squelch is not that big of a deal since the FT-857 has an automatic squelch and under FM for 10M, 6M, 2M and 70cm it is not as sensitive. Amateur Radio operators are not that squelch happy on HF (160-10M) SSB ;-} I operate on the HF frequencies only when parked or camping; using FM when traveling.

docgood

Postby docgood » Sun May 01, 2011 6:50 pm

The reply I got from the bike GL2 people in the U.S. very briefly stated
that they "are working on a UHF designed for the Australian market".
This seems to confirm all the information listed above. I have not seen
any other CB here other than the UHF. The local products here are
very good, 10 miles not un common and if tuned to the Police Channel
I have overheard licence checks over 30 miles away. I am however
very "un-savy" with the subject, and can only talk of the transport industry.

MattRyder
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 ALA

Postby MattRyder » Sun May 01, 2011 10:46 pm

thrasherg wrote:Hi Doc,

Lots of us also use it for bike to bike communication as it's far less busy than CB and with the range/power being a lot less than on CB, there is far less interference.

Gary

I haven't used a CB in a number of years, but I recall that there weren't that many drivers using them (including the truckers) back then. Anybody know how popular they are in western Canada these days (Manitoba to British Columbia)?

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Mon May 02, 2011 5:58 am

Pretty much only the truckers and a few wannabee truckers, as well as a few motorcyclists are the only real CB users anymore. And the motorcycles, seeing as the unit is so frickin expensive, are on the lower end of that useage scale.

ImageImage

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Mon May 02, 2011 2:51 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Peter

Every CB antenna will have to be "tuned" to the CB/cable once it is installed, there is no such thing as a "ready to go" CB antenna. Have a look here: How to tune your CB antenna SWR

Maybe I just got lucky but I never tuned mine. Guys I ride with say mine is as clear as any they have ever heard. On the other hand I do not know what my range is but I know I have talked close to 2 miles apart. I also ride with others in my gwrra chapter that have never tuned their antenna. We all use the OEM antenna.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Mon May 02, 2011 3:00 pm

Red Ron wrote:Maybe I just got lucky but I never tuned mine. Guys I ride with say mine is as clear as any they have ever heard. On the other hand I do not know what my range is but I know I have talked close to 2 miles apart. I also ride with others in my gwrra chapter that have never tuned their antenna. We all use the OEM antenna.

I used to be into CBs back in the seventies (really into it) and adjusting an antenna isn't as critical as they would have you think. Most antennas come pretty much tuned close to what they need to be even if not perfect, and some come perfect right out of the box. The ones where it is necessary to trim the whip are the most critical. Honda's OEM is probably as close as they can get it already, as they would not believe Goldwing owners might know anything.

ImageImage

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”