Installing cig lighter receptacle in faring box

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Please Support our Sponsors!

Installing cig lighter receptacle in faring box

Postby gildco » Tue May 03, 2011 10:17 pm

I presume that this is a somewhat simple task. Will a Radio Shack receptacle be sufficient, or should I spend a few extra bucks for Honda or BMW receptacle? Another question: How does one remove that thin piece of plastic that covers the gap between the faring and the faring box?

Thanks.

gildco

gildco

Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Air

Re: Installing cig lighter receptacle in faring box

Postby thrasherg » Wed May 04, 2011 10:35 am

It's been a while since I did this, so my memory may be wrong. There are 4 clips that secure the fairing box to the fairing, one on each corner, you open the fairing box cover (Push on the large button) then push the middle of each pin downwards until it pops down about 1/8th of an inch then lift the entire plastic clip out. Remove all 4 clips and then you can lift the entire fairing box out of the fairing. On the back of the fairing box there should be a small X which marks the center point of the hole for the cigarette plug. Dril or cur a hole of the correct size and install the plug. If you haven't bought a lighter for a goldwing you will have to make an electrical connection to the spare wire that is lying under the fairing box for the cigarette lighter. If you have a goldwing lighter then just plug the lead to the lighter, then put the fairing box back in the hole. Take the 4 clips and push the centres back up so the middle part is now sticking proud of the clip rather than recessed (where you pushed it to release the clip). Put the 4 clips in the 4 holes and push the center piece down until it clicks flush and you are done..

Any cigarette lighter will do, I would suggest getting one that was intended for outside use as it will get damp and you don't want it going rusty.. The only advantage I see to getting a goldwing lighter is that it will have the correct plug to connect to the wings wiring loom, otherwise you will have to make your own join..

Gary
thrasherg

Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800, 2004 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine & CRF450X, CRF230

Postby gildco » Wed May 04, 2011 1:53 pm

Thank you for the detailed response. I appreciate it.

Gil
gildco

Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Air

Postby Steve F » Wed May 04, 2011 3:55 pm

[quote][/quote]BTW, they're not for lighting cigarettes, but as an accessory outlet limited to (what?) 5 amps maybe?
Steve F
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."
Steve F

Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe'
'03 GL1800

Postby kmorgan26 » Fri May 13, 2011 7:51 pm

I am trying to install a 12V socket that I bought. It is supposed to be a "plug and play" socket. It has the wiring harness already attached, but when I removed the left fairing pocket, there is nowhere to plug in the harness! I was expecting to see a cable sitting under the pocket where I would simply attach the end of the harness to, but there is nothing of the sort. I have a 2009 GL1800. Any idea?
kmorgan26

Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800

Postby Red Ron » Sat May 14, 2011 8:47 am

You can make any outlet work but I think it is best if you use a plug & play one made to plug into the bike existing wiring. If you buy one from mother Honda it will be about $30. I bought 2 from Wingstuff.com for about $20. The place to drill the hole in the pocket is marked and is in the front right corner. Be careful when you remove the pocket to not let any of the lettle retaining pegs fall down into the abyss. The outlet will only have about 5 amps so if you plug something like a small air compressor in you are taking a real chance of frying the circuit. And, there are other things on this circuit. I mounted another one in the trunk in the spot made for it (there is a plug there also for plug & play also) except I ran wiring through the trunk with the rest of the wiring and under the seat and wired straight to the battery with a 15 amp fuse in the hot wire. This way a have a place to plug in my air compressor without worrying about my wiring being fried.
Red Ron

Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby themainviking » Sat May 14, 2011 9:07 am

kmorgan26 wrote:I am trying to install a 12V socket that I bought. It is supposed to be a "plug and play" socket. It has the wiring harness already attached, but when I removed the left fairing pocket, there is nowhere to plug in the harness! I was expecting to see a cable sitting under the pocket where I would simply attach the end of the harness to, but there is nothing of the sort. I have a 2009 GL1800. Any idea?

Yeah, I just did mine. Where the rca jack is plugged in, inside a cover, there is a red plug that the lighter socket connector plugs into, then you pull the cover back over it. It was a ten minute job, start to finish, if the tools are all ready and by the bike. (tools being a drill with a 30mm hole saw, and that is about it aside from a pair of water pump pliers to tighten the lighter socket retaining ring. I used my ignition key on the four little push pins. I really do not understand why Honda did not supply these with the bike. Oh, wait - $3.00 cost to Honda times a hundred thousand bikes over several years - ah, that's why... Add to that the retail price of these power point sockets over the cost, and you have enormous profit margins.

Viking
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage
themainviking

Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby Rambler444 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:13 pm

I have a 2001 1800 have been trying to install a cig lighter in the trunk and one in the right front pocket area , I haven`t a clue which acc plug ins to buy for this job.also no idea where to plug them in other than go straight to the battery , here`s the thing I need one for a gps when I travel and one in the trunk to charge cell phones and to run a airpump so all the help will be appreciated , thanks for ya`lls time I`m new at this goldwing stuff, am old hat at kaw. thanks again
Rambler444

Motorcycle: 2001 gl1800 A

Postby themainviking » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:48 am

Rambler444 wrote:I have a 2001 1800 have been trying to install a cig lighter in the trunk and one in the right front pocket area , I haven`t a clue which acc plug ins to buy for this job.also no idea where to plug them in other than go straight to the battery , here`s the thing I need one for a gps when I travel and one in the trunk to charge cell phones and to run a airpump so all the help will be appreciated , thanks for ya`lls time I`m new at this goldwing stuff, am old hat at kaw. thanks again

You can get the plug and play receptacles from many places, Honda and Kuryakyn being two. Rivco and Big Bike Parts probably also. The plug and play ones will work for your cell phones and GPS units, but if you want to use one of these receptacles for an air matress compressor, or as a cigarette lighter, you need to purchase one from an auto parts store, that has heavier wiring, and an inline fuse, and you need to wire this one directly to your battery. If you wire up an accesory lighter socket directly to the battery, it can still be used to power a GPS or recharge a cell phone, but the reverse will not work. The plug and play units are, I believe, about .5 amp capacity due to the supplied fuse, but also the wiring is pretty light both on the unit, and where they plug into the bike.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage
themainviking

Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Return to GL1800 Information & Questions