electrical puzzle to me.

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
neverhome
Motorcycle: 2005-GL1800

electrical puzzle to me.

Postby neverhome » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:25 pm

when I actuate say the left turn signal.The following happens: both turn signal lights in the dash which indicate which turn signal you have on start to blink at a faster rate,both at the same time.get off the bike go to front and left amber front turn light blinking away.Go to the rear of bike and all the red lights on trunk and saddlebags are blinking together but the amber turn signal light is out,but the amber light on the right side is on and blinking also.You can reverse the switch to right turn and the exact same thing happens but the left amber light comes on and blinks.Ok turn off turn signal hit hazard flasher and it works like it is suppose to.I also believe that the turn signal has kicked me off cruise before.I have a trailer isolator wired in the back of the bike,and cigarette plugs in trunk and left front pocket .all of these were installed with plug and play jumpers to factory wiring.This is a 2005 gl1800 with trouble free miles 104,000 and this just showed up 2 days ago.I sprayed all the switches from the outside with contact cleaner and it didn't help.So I have started trying to get a wiring diagram downloaded it seemed to be simple but apparently its not so simple for me.Has anyone had the same problem or can suggest things that could cause these syptoms.Thanks for any suggestions.Neverhome
t

jackknife
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000

Re: electrical puzzle to me.

Postby jackknife » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:01 pm

Usually when things like this happen, it is caused by a bad bulb. A broken filament in a dual filament bulb will sometimes short out with the other filament and cause current to flow where is isn't intended.

I would check this first before digging into the wiring diagram.

neverhome
Motorcycle: 2005-GL1800

Postby neverhome » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:25 pm

ok,thanks I will check that out.Neverhome

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:22 am

Yup, before pulling wiring out, pull the bulbs out, one at a time, and see if any one of them being removed fixes the problem.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”