2008 GL1800 HID Installation

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
ckballinger
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

2008 GL1800 HID Installation

Postby ckballinger » Tue May 10, 2011 2:10 pm

Just purchased a set of HID's to go on this bike and am already stumped. The doc says to remove the left/right storage compartments and the low beam bulb is easily accessible from there. However, on the 2008 bike the left side is blocked by the windshield adjustment level.
What is the correct way to get to the low beam bulbs? It looks like I needs hands the size of a 3 yr old to reach in there, much less get all the HID ballast, etc. up in there.
This was my dream bike purchase last year so I really don't want to screw this up and damage the bike or pay the dealer $200 to install when $$ is hard to come by these days.
Any and all suggestions appreaciated. Mechanically inclined, just not sure what, if any, is the best approach to take since the included instructions don't seem to fit this bike year.

Thanks

Proud Newbie owner of GL1800

jinx
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800

Re: 2008 GL1800 HID Installation

Postby jinx » Tue May 10, 2011 8:46 pm

you can reach in thru the tunnels to remove the low beams. I've done it many times. I think you will probably have to remove
body panels to install the HID kit

Wingaling
Motorcycle: 2006 Goldwing

Postby Wingaling » Tue May 10, 2011 9:02 pm

If you have a CB radio think twice about HID lighting! I spent a considerable amount of time and money on low and high beams only to find out that the RF interference the ballasts put out ruined all communications and also noise through the aux circuit. I tried everything I could throw at it and ended up pulling everything out and all problems were solved. Yes, this was a high quality set of HID's. Just my two cents.

ckballinger
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby ckballinger » Wed May 11, 2011 9:02 am

Wingaling,
Thanks, I do have the CB and AUX circuits active so I may just reconsider the addition of the HID's, since there is little one can do to eliminate RF if it is being radiated by the ballast, Ferrite cores on the wiring would only help if the signal is being radiated by the wiring and not the ballast itself.
Appreaciate the thought, becuase that was one area I hadn't considered. Wonder if anyone has installed ferrite cores or other suppression devices on their bike and if it helped?

Wingaling
Motorcycle: 2006 Goldwing

Postby Wingaling » Wed May 11, 2011 1:35 pm

Just an update... I did try several suppressors and filters. The results were slightly better but still very annoying buzzes and pops. Turning the squelch all the way up to max helped sometimes but interferes with weak signal transmissions. Like I said, I wanted the HID's to work, I REALLY liked them and did everything anyone suggested to try and make them work. Everything failed. I still have them on my high beams. When switched on they make a horrible noise that comes blasting through the audio. Most of the time it goes away, sometimes it does not. Also, they do take about 45 seconds to reach full brightness which can seem like an eternity when you need them quickly. They do respond faster after they are already hot.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”