Help choose options for new 2010 GL1800 ??

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
RW-1
Motorcycle: 2010 GL 1800

Help choose options for new 2010 GL1800 ??

Postby RW-1 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:05 pm

Got the new bike but must choose the package of options IMMEDIATLEY NOW or I loose my freebees!

**Fog / Lower cowl lights...$430 LED's $ vs. $280 Halogen vs. aftemarket:
(I LOVED the Moto Lights I had on a previous bike because they were "aimable" and I was able to run them continously to spot for deer and not blind oncoming traffic.....(although they needed a $$ bulb from time to time).
Also noticed my Moto Light lens eventually started to develope "cataracts", (hazing lenses) like I ALSO notice on a '03 GL 1800 the other day.....(excessive heat from Halogen, HID, etc.???)

Was thinking LED bulbs would last forever and much cooler, but assume the will they blind oncomoing traffic and may not be as effective "critter spotters".

Kuryakyn has 35 watt 'adjustable' for $200...extra bulb $11 ea.

Seems all but the LED's types list replacement bulbs...makes me think short bulb life on most types??

Feed back form anyone that has used either or other lights apprecaited!

Was going to choose the factory aux power plug, but will it supply a 15 watt air compressor?

AutoCom says that their 'Active 7 Smart' from my previous bike will work w/ $100 per helmet adapter (he sounded a bit uncertain to me).

Honda dealer says buy their $220 per helmet and get the BEST!

**Have stock w/s, fine for me, but Biggest complaint comes from my passenger with the buffeting helmet! Try her a full face helmet, taller /wider aftemarket w/s, and/or wind deflectors or all the above???

Thanks, pmar93@yahoo.com

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: Help choose options for new 2010 GL1800 ??

Postby thrasherg » Fri May 27, 2011 9:46 am

Do be a little careful with Autocom. I have used their products for the last 18 years, support is okay, but nothing is ever forward compatible, they recently went bust and have restarted (So support may again be questionable). They have great products but be aware that they may not be around for a long time given their track record.. I have always had to add some kind of filter to the power connections on my autocom to stop alternator noise and have also had to add ground loop isolators on every external object that was connected to the autocom. This was on my goldwing, my R1 and my CBR900RR and my wife's honda shadow, RZ350YPVS, etc so they do need a bit of additional expense to get running well, but you can communicate easily at speed of 100+ mph.

Gary

bmcmillon
Motorcycle: 2008 GL 1800 Goldwing

Postby bmcmillon » Sun May 29, 2011 8:48 am

When I ordered my second Goldwing GL 1800 I found out that the best thing was to stay with Honda brands as much as posible and Kuryakyn products; It seem to be better quality products. I have the moduluar helmets they work great for my pasager. If you get wind noise from the pasanger mic then all you have to do is put another sock filter on it and that will stop the wind noise..

rb7632
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800 ABS, Nav, Comfort

Postby rb7632 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:25 pm

**Fog / Lower cowl lights...$430 LED's $ vs. $280 Halogen vs. aftemarket:
(I LOVED the Moto Lights I had on a previous bike because they were "aimable" and I was able to run them continously to spot for deer and not blind oncoming traffic.....(although they needed a $$ bulb from time to time).
Also noticed my Moto Light lens eventually started to develope "cataracts", (hazing lenses) like I ALSO notice on a '03 GL 1800 the other day.....(excessive heat from Halogen, HID, etc.???)

Was thinking LED bulbs would last forever and much cooler, but assume the will they blind oncomoing traffic and may not be as effective "critter spotters".

Kuryakyn has 35 watt 'adjustable' for $200...extra bulb $11 ea.

Seems all but the LED's types list replacement bulbs...makes me think short bulb life on most types??

Feed back form anyone that has used either or other lights apprecaited!

WAY too much money for good lights. I have lowers installed in cowl and high intensity under center of fairing over front wheel. Both from Wal-Mart, $20 per set.

Was going to choose the factory aux power plug, but will it supply a 15 watt air compressor?

Should power it fine

AutoCom says that their 'Active 7 Smart' from my previous bike will work w/ $100 per helmet adapter (he sounded a bit uncertain to me).

Honda dealer says buy their $220 per helmet and get the BEST!

Dealer is full of it. J&M makes the best. Go with them

**Have stock w/s, fine for me, but Biggest complaint comes from my passenger with the buffeting helmet! Try her a full face helmet, taller /wider aftermarket w/s, and/or wind deflectors or all the above???

If momma isn't happy, no body is going to be happy. Go with a wider windshield. I like taller also but that's me. She will like taller also. Also think about wind wings. I like the Kury Dragon Wings but again, personal choice.

Other options:
Highway pegs
Lighted spoiler
Luggage rack
Utopia Backrest
Passenger volume control and CB key
Passenger armrests

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow,What a ride!"

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”