headlight

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
hankor
Motorcycle: 2004 honda goldwinga

headlight

Postby hankor » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:20 pm

what is the trick to change a low beam headlight on 2004 1800 thanks hankor

flaxman
Motorcycle: '01 GL1800A Illusion Red

Re: headlight

Postby flaxman » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:26 pm

just did mine for the first time (2001), there's lots of videos around, but it's pretty easy

1- turn bars away from side you want to change (centrestand is good)
2-carefully reach in and unplug the power connector
3- pull out the black water shield
4- there's a little spring clip, the loop to the left of the holder is the trick, push it forward and down, let it swing to the right,
5- grip the "pins" & remove the lamp/holder assembly
6- separate the lamp from the holder
7- plug your new lamp (H7) into the holder WITHOUT TOUCHING THE GLASS!!!
(oils from skin will burn into the glass and kill the lamp prematurely.)
8- reassembly is reverse of disassembly.
scale of difficulty 2/10

have fun, the miserable one is the LEFT HIGHBEAM>>> too mant wires in behind the pocket!

SCOTT

Hugh
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Re: headlight issues related to reverse switch

Postby Hugh » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:11 pm

This is my first posting so please advise me of my errors or omissions.
My 2003 wing has a headlight problem. Every so often, the headlights go off, both low beam and high beam and they stay off. Following another's suggestion, I tried using the reverse gear and it worked. Today returning from a run, the lights were off. At an intersection, I put the bike in neutral, hit the reverse button and the lights came on. I turned the reverse off and the neutral light came on and the lights stayed on. When I hit the high beam switch, the high beam lights came on and the blue dash indicator came on. The lights remained on all the way home.
What can I do to keep the lights on? Was the reverse switch part of the problem or the whole problem? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Willy447
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Postby Willy447 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:10 am

I have a 1500 but the reverse button on it is also the starter button. The switch would stick down just a little bit, enough to keep the headlight off (normal when starting). Try pulling out on the starter button and see if the headlight comes on. If that does the trick, just clean/ lube the switch. Hope this helps ;-)

mbuesing
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800
Past rides.
1991 Yamaha Venture Royal 1300
1979 Kawasaki SR 650
198? Yamaha 175 Enduro
1976 Kawasaki KZ 400 (my son still rides this bike)
197? Yamaha 90 Enduro
1965 Honda S65 Sport
Minnie bike

Re: headlight issues related to reverse switch

Postby mbuesing » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:53 am

Hugh wrote:This is my first posting so please advise me of my errors or omissions.
My 2003 wing has a headlight problem. Every so often, the headlights go off, both low beam and high beam and they stay off. Following another's suggestion, I tried using the reverse gear and it worked. Today returning from a run, the lights were off. At an intersection, I put the bike in neutral, hit the reverse button and the lights came on. I turned the reverse off and the neutral light came on and the lights stayed on. When I hit the high beam switch, the high beam lights came on and the blue dash indicator came on. The lights remained on all the way home.
What can I do to keep the lights on? Was the reverse switch part of the problem or the whole problem? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Spray the reverse and start switch with Radio Shack Contact Cleaner and Lube.
Light cr. runs though the switches to cut off lights when starting.
The GL1800 is a crotch rocket on Steroids.

rthughes44
Motorcycle: 2003 GL 1800
1985 Big Red 250

Re: Headlight and Audio Switches

Postby rthughes44 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:05 am

I know this is a late response to the headlights not working but the problem is not the reverse switch. The problem is the start switch is not fully retracking, a few thousandths of an inch. Use CRC QD Electronic Cleaner, the manufacturer claims it is plastic safe, quick drying, and no residue. I've used it with success on my push to talk switch. Carefully blow switches with compressed air, place a shop towel under the switches and spray each switch.

Tootsieroll*Douglas
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing

Postby Tootsieroll*Douglas » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:51 am

I just had the same problem with my 2003 GL1800. My headlights weren't working this morning when I drove to work. I suspected a blown fuse but before going off the deep end, searched this forum for help. It goes back to the old advice to "Try the simple things first". About mid morning I went out and turned on my ignition switch...still no headlights. I pulled out lightly on the starter button and low and behold....bingo!....lights came on. The switch moved about an eighth of an inch when I pulled on it. So the problem was simply the starter switch had not returned to its at rest, fully out, position. I have already used some WD-40 on some of the sticky switches (hazard light switch, etc) and that seems to work just fine. I will follow up on the starter switch and all the rest of them for that matter. Thanks for the advice on the post. Keep up the good work and at least one tire on the ground at all times!

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”