Cupping causing out of round tire?

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
coy55boy
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800

Cupping causing out of round tire?

Postby coy55boy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:44 pm

I recently took an extended ride (about 3000 miles). I checked tire pressure before I left and because my bike ('01 GL1800) has TPMS installed and I never got an alarm, I didn't check again until I got home a couple weeks later. When I checked, I found the rear tire was running about 5 lbs. low (normally run at 42psi). More concerning was the amount of cupping or feathering I found on the tread. I figure that's probably due to the low pressure on a fairly heavily loaded bike.

Yesterday, I was checking pressures and hoping to see some improvement in the cupping. The bike has a 'drive-off' center stand so I have to put a 1X4 under the stand to get the rear wheel off the ground. As I rotated the wheel to get to the air valve, I noticed that the wheel dragged the ground in some spots, dragged even more in other spots and not at all in others. Is this related to the cupping? Or perhaps something worse?

I was out on a PGR ride today and was paying particular attention to the way the bike handled and couldn't feel anything wrong. I suppose I could go ahead and change the tire, but it's only got about 6000 miles on it and still has LOTS of tread. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

myYellowbird
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
Audio,Comfort,Navi,Xm
Pearl Yellow

Re: Cupping causing out of round tire?

Postby myYellowbird » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:26 am

MC Tires are like that you have to check your tire pressures at lease weekly some do it every ride. A lot of it could be from balancing problems i noticed problems on my front stock dunlop like the described. I picked up a screw in my rear tire plugged it did not like the ride. With 4000 miles on my tires i went with some dyna beads 2ozs front, and put a Kumo car tire on the rear with 3ozs of beads. The ride got better a lot of the front end wobbles went away. I now have over 14,500 miles on the tires the front is still in good shape hope to get another 3 to 4000 out of them.I should see at lease 20,000 out of the rear very happy with the beads. You can also look in to Centramatics wheel balancers there even better but cost a lot more.
[img]http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/8206/small2img1727.jpg{img]

coy55boy
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800

Postby coy55boy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:48 am

Hi Yellowbird,

I am also a big believer in Dyna Beads. I use them in my truck and my other bike. I haven't attempted to install them in the Wing though because of the TPMS. I read somewhere that the beads get stuck in the valve during the installation process and end up requiring the device being removed from the wheel to get them out. I also considered the Centramatics as that would eliminate problems with the TPMS. I've got them on my wishlist at WingStuff. BTW, my birthday is tomorrow so if anyone was stuck on what to give me... ;)

That said, I don't believe that tire balance has that much effect on cupping. I think that has more to do with under-inflation and to an extend driving style. For instance, pouring on the fuel (rear tire) or excessive braking (front tire) in turns.

I guess I just expected that if the tire/wheel combo were out of balance enough to cause the tire to become out of round, that there would be a noticeable effect when driving.

dragon2000
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie

Postby dragon2000 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:06 pm

I have never heard about the wear you described. That said, I run 40 PSI both front & rear on both of my bikes (2009 Wing & 2000 Valkyrie).

I too am a big believer in the Dyna Beads along with the Centramatic's. I have the beads in my Valkyrie and Centramatics installed on my Wing. As the Wing is being used for long rides, with almost 10K Km's on the OEMS and there is no cupping and very little wear. The Centramatics are a bit expensive however you may want to read the posts in the link below as it would seem that they really smooth out the ride and extend tire life.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/16_featured_gl1800_accessories/29204_stainless_centramatic_goldwing_wheel_balancers/

Steve
Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Ontario, Canada

2008retiredplb
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 now a 2016 HTS1800 RoadSmith Trike
2001 GL1800
1998 1100 Honda Shadow ACE
1972 Honda CL450

Postby 2008retiredplb » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:09 am

I have never heard of a tire going out of round from wear. If it is out of round, it must have been that way when new. Take it to a dealer and have him check it out, you could have some other problem.
In talking about wheel balancing, keeping the tire balanced will improve wear. I have a 2009 Goldwing with Centramatic balancers, running with OEM Dunlop D250's and now have 18,700+ miles on them. I will be getting new tires at Wing Ding. At that time I will have over 19,200 miles on them. They are not even worn down to the wear indicator bars yet. They have some rear tire cupping (on the edges) showing up in the last couple of thousand miles but nothing like before with my Dunlop E 3's. My opinion is the Centramatic balancers are one of the best investments I have put on my bike.

"Love to ride and ride to love"

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”