MP3 / CD thoughts

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
mrwalker534
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing

MP3 / CD thoughts

Postby mrwalker534 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:15 am

Hello Goldwingers,
I recently purchased a 03 and need info on installing a MP3 player. I found in the owners manual that the bike came with a special plug to run a 2.5mm into the left compartment. unfortunatly this is missing but I figured with a couple parts from radio shack and a color code I can make my own. Can anyone shed some light on the color code would be appreciated.
I have been searching the web for different set ups for the MP3 to use the CD input. There are so many things available out there now and I do not want to throw money away on junk that don't work. I would like something that has blue tooth and possibly play different music to each head set?

Anyone who can help on this post would be greatly appreciated.

jinx
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800

Re: MP3 / CD thoughts

Postby jinx » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:28 am

For the money the BikeMP3 player is the best. I started with the V1 when it first came out. It had some problems but Bikemp3 did everything
they could to resolve the issues. It took over a year for the bugs to be figured out and they offered all V1 owners a very good deal on replacing it
with a version 3.
I have been using the version 3 now for about 6 months and love it.
I highly recommend their player but if you want a CD player I will sell my old one for $200.00 but I would go with the MP3 player myself.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:42 am

I don't think your 2.5mm lead is missing, The bikes did not come with them as standard, you have to buy it. If you remove the left hand glove box, then look up near the headlight you should find two leads with plugs on that don't go anywhere, one of the leads has 3 wires (ground, left and right audio in) and the other lead has two wires (Positive & Negative). The 2 wire lead is what you connect to if you want to add a cigarette lighter plug to the glove box (Or you can use it to power any device in the glove box, or an MP3 player) the other lead is the aux in for the stereo.. You just need to make up a screened lead with a 2.5mm plug on one end for your mp3 player and then put a matching plug on the other end so that it connects to the plug on the wing wire loom (Or wire directly in to the loom).. The select AUX on the stereo control panel and you should hear your mp3 player Hopefully this all makes sense..

Gary

dlionhardt
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Goldwing

Postby dlionhardt » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:35 pm

J&M has a great new MP3 player that also has bluetooth. i rode the Talimina PKWY and it worked great. i still have some music programing issue, because the player only recognizes MP3 not the new MP4, but the bluetooth works great, got a call on my iPhone answered it and it was my office, they didn't even know i was cruising at about 60mph.

Massi
Motorcycle: GL1800 Triumph Rocket GSX750F Katana

Postby Massi » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:44 am

http://trioma.ru/products/flipper.shtml#variant
I use an adapter
a cd changer management is connected to the socket
saved from stands 32 sees Gb Flash

v1butche
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800A Trike

Postby v1butche » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:27 am

I just had the BikeMP3 mp3 player installed at WingDing using the Goldwing's CD input. I was told that to have folders on my USB drive they needed to be named CD1, CD2, etc. I had them named by album. How do I switch from track to track or folder to folder? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Emily

jinx
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800

Postby jinx » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:57 am

v1butche
Sorry for the late response. Hopefully by now you have your music formatted and working.
You must name your folders CD1, CD2, CD3,etc. Depending on your bike nav or non-nav
determines how many folders you can have. On the left hand control cluster there is a
track switch. Tap it up or down to change songs. Hold it up or down for about 2 sec.
to change folders.

Massi any chance you could provide a link to an english version of the product ?

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:41 am

v1butche wrote:I just had the BikeMP3 mp3 player installed at WingDing using the Goldwing's CD input. I was told that to have folders on my USB drive they needed to be named CD1, CD2, etc. I had them named by album. How do I switch from track to track or folder to folder? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Emily

Like jinx says. And if you have a Navi that uses CF cards, you can have six folders with 99 songs in each. The root folder is your number one folder and also will hold 99 songs, so name your folders within the root as CD2 thru CD6. You can use 2gb, 4gb and 8gb SD cards, and for six folders of 99 songs, you will need at least a 4gb. If your Navi has an SD card in it, then you should be able to use 10 folders of 999 songs. Operations and selection are again, as jinx mentioned. This has been my experience - others may get different mileage, lol. (the disclaimer)

I have the J & M MP3 player and am totally happy with it, although they did replace it for me at Wing Ding.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Southern Man
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby Southern Man » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:00 am

I also just installed the BIkeMP3 and love it. Last month we went on a 2200 mile trip and never heard the same song twice.

Actually you can have 13 or 16 folders of 99 songs each but folder 11 will show up as 1, 12 as 2, and so on, even though they will contain different material. 9 is recomended to make keeping up with them easier.

All that aside, if I did not have a cd player or had one that had crapped out I would not even consider buying a cd player. MP3 is the way to go.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS: Don't worry boy's thoes Rebels could not hit an elephant at this distance. Gen. John Sedgewick @ Spotsylivania 1864.

ssykes1
Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Goldwing 1800

Postby ssykes1 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:17 am

Just some food for thought and information about another alternative. I purchase the SKHONPDSDR: iPod, iPhone Plug-N-Play Interface from Wing Stuff.com this item works for me. I have a IPOD with 14,0000 songs on it. The only draw back is its hard to figure out what playlist I am on while I am driving. (LoL) It plug into the CD plug under the seat in a matter of minutes I was listening to music.
Before I forget I have 2003 Gold-wing. For the price about ($135.00) its worth it and besides it is not the price it the convenience of quick install and less hassle fiddling with wires.
Now if I can come up with some speakers with a little bass that fits in the stock setup I would have it made. Good Luck

nandyman1
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda Goldwing

Postby nandyman1 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:36 pm

I have a J & M mp3 unit it works ok had it for a couple of years not many issues its small fits in trunk under cover hooks up in same place cd player would for the goldwing

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”