Bad Ground...Or Something

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 2001 GL 1800 Goldwing

Bad Ground...Or Something

Postby viper467 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:04 pm

Hello. I'm a new Goldwing owner, and new to the forums. I bought a 2001 Wing with 47,xxx miles on it about three weeks ago. I've been happy with my purchase until a couple of days ago.

What I'm experiencing is this: Many times when I apply the front brake lever all the lights, to include the radio and clock cut out for a second or two. Sometimes, the clock resets to 1:00, and sometimes it doesn't. This doesn't happen every time I apply the brake, but when it doesn't, at a minimum, the lights and displays dim for a split second. Further, my reverse doesn't seem to want to work. I'll put it in reverse, and the light will light up, but when I push the start button, it moves about an inch, and stops. The light stays on, but the motor stops turning. Oh yeah, and since all this started I get that whiny engine noise through the headset.

To me, it's behaving like a bad ground would, with the lights dimming and all. But I'm not much of a whiz at electrical. Not this type, anyway. The one commonality I've found in all this is that all the problems seem to be related to the right handle bar. That's another reason I'm thinking (hoping) it's just a ground problem. I haven't experienced any problems, however, with the cruise control, which is also on the right, as you know.

This all seemed to start after I got caught out in the rain the other day. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but I was under the impression that the bike could tolerate a little rain.

Any suggestions would be a great help before I resort to getting scalped at the repair shop.

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Bad Ground...Or Something

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:40 pm

I would guess it's either a bad ground or a short. A short could drop the voltage enough to reset things like the clock - but would also normally blow a fuse. I would go with the bad ground - the fact that you have several things on the right side all malfunctioning would point that way as well. Without a circuit diagram in front of me however, I can do only that - just guess.

Motorcycle: 2007 gl1800

Postby wingfart » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:58 pm

Under the right engine cover there is a ground related to the reverse. Check that this is tight, but be very careful, this stud has been known to snap off very easily.

Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800

Postby coy55boy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:14 pm

First thing is to make sure your battery terminals are tight.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”