Aftermarket CB

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
racoonroy@aol.com
Motorcycle: 2009 Goldwing

Aftermarket CB

Postby racoonroy@aol.com » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:33 pm

Anyone ever put an aftermarket CB on their Goldwing. Trying to do it but don't know where to put the antenna since everything is plastic on my trike.... :?:

burdicda
Motorcycle: GL1500

Re: Aftermarket CB

Postby burdicda » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:58 am

Do you have a trailer hitch
Trailer hitch's are mostly bolted onto the rear frame
Alot of radio folk use their trailer hitch for antenna
on auto's also....

racoonroy@aol.com

Postby racoonroy@aol.com » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:05 pm

I have installed a cobra 75wxst CB on my 2009 goldwing. Put the antenna mounted to trailer hitch. Attached radio to battery acc fuse. Keyed up the mike to check SWR and speakers on bike started howling. Any advise would be helpful..

Dola Compton
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800 Navi

Postby Dola Compton » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:45 pm

Try turning your squelch down a bit. Dola 06 Navi.

racoonroy@aol.com

Postby racoonroy@aol.com » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:14 pm

Squelch is all way up.. Went to check SWR on new installation is when it howled even with radio off.

Dola Compton
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800 Navi

Postby Dola Compton » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:28 pm

Reread post turn down squelch. Dola.

racoonroy@aol.com

Postby racoonroy@aol.com » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:52 pm

Does not matter where squelch or volume is the radio speakers howl... Im thinking maybe I need the honda filters or this radio will not work with my Goldwing.

salyzyn
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby salyzyn » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:26 am

If the howl is occurring when your CB is in receive or off, you have entered a twilight zone. You have cross-wired audio-in, audio-out or microphone connections on the bike; or have a serious case of audio-ground-loop requiring isolation. Are you sure the CB is not permanently transmitting from some other wiring issue?

If the speakers are howling if you are transmitting, the Audio Unit is the culprit, as it is picking up the RF (receiving). The FCC is pretty clear about any devices that pick up RF and translate them into audio and are not themselves receivers for the designated frequencies are considered to be poorly designed. The Honda Audio Unit, especially the relocated ones in the later bikes, have been prone to this problem with the OEM and Quality Aftermarket (GL2way) CBs and requires careful attention to good transceiver wiring practices to even have a chance.

The fixes in this case will be to correct your SWR including a solid ground on your antenna and coax, ensure that you have no ground loops (1:1 transformer isolators on both the audio and the microphone if wired-in) and using toroids to break any wiring paths that can turn into an Antenna. I have seen toroids on the (internal) headset cabling resolve problems. Make sure you are using a communications-grade headset, they typically have a shunt capacitor across the microphone to block RF. Find all places where rectification can occur, loose connections and ground points typically. In addition, any measures you can take to keep your modulation limited below the threshold where the Audio Unit starts picking up may help.

In the end, you may have to defer to an expert CB/transceiver installer, as they see these problems all the time.

For your information, the Honda filters are not designed to prevent RF from getting into the Audio Unit, or blocking feedback, they are used to block the wide-band RF noise generated by the motors (fans & fuel pumps) from getting into the power circuitry and affecting the CB's receiver.

racoonroy@aol.com

Postby racoonroy@aol.com » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:16 pm

No the speakers only howl when (more like a loud beep) the mike is keyed up. I have not been able to set my swr account I am afraid to key mike due to the loud noise. The cb receives fine no noise but key it up and buddy look out. I have the antenna mounted to my trailer hitch on the trike. The trailer hitch should be giving me a good ground. The positive lead is hooked to the accessory positive and the neg to the accessory neg on the fuse box. I have installed many cb's and man I am stumped.
:(

salyzyn
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby salyzyn » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:08 am

racoonroy@aol.com wrote:I have not been able to set my swr account I am afraid to key mike due to the loud noise.
Catch 22 sir, a BAD SWR will result in stronger incursions of the RF paths into the wiring causing output to the speakers, detected by the microphone, feeding into the CB. You could first focus on the DC resistance measurements, good conductivity from center and shield to the Antenna, no conductivity between the center and shield. Good ground resistance to multiple test points on the chassis to the antenna. You should at least grit your teeth long enough to report the SWR (no need to do a cal cycle even, zero back-RF is zero back-RF regardless of calibration), for if it is good you can then focus on RF shielding and breaking ground loops. Perhaps muffle the microphone somewhat so the audio-part of the feedback loop is muted?

If it will help, the likeliest source of the RF pickup is the '06 and up poorly placed (from the CB' perspective) Audio Amplifier located at the rear right next to your Antenna. When triked, the amplifier could be relocated, which could be the source of your problems, the trike installers may have done some ill-advised splicing with poor shielding practices. (Note: Pre '06, where the AMP is up front inside the shielded body of the Audio Unit and thus does not have long leads to the amplifier section to catch RF). You may have to place some quality low-pass PI-Filter snubbers into the audio inputs of the Amplifier to make up for the RF pickup from the leads.

The hitch cannot be counted as a good ground for the Coax especially if the braces are painted and the hitch is of the removable type. On my HAM radio HF setup I ran a braid from the hitch to the chassis for good measure for instance. For the traditional OEM CB antenna mounting they run a 12 gauge about 1" wide steel strap from the antenna to the chassis inside the trunk, you need that kind of solid ground to keep the RF from using the bike wiring as a path to chassis ground.

wvprez2
Motorcycle: 2010 Gl1800

Postby wvprez2 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:42 pm

A friend of mine has a 75wxst CB installed on his 06 wing and it works great. We tried installing one on my 2010 set the swr etc. but, couldn't get rid of the howl. Finally removed it.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”