SYNTHETIC ENGINE OIL

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
dragon2000
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie

Re: SYNTHETIC ENGINE OIL

Post by dragon2000 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:00 pm

I agree with some of your points however not all. While I have never tried Amsoil oil and I am not knocking it. My preference is to use the the Honda products. When you factor in shipping costs I agree it is not free however if there is a will there is a way and US distributors have done a great marketing job.

- dealer costs here for full synthenic range from $14 -$16.00 per litre;

- I include oil in my orders from a distributor like for exmaple Wing Stuff, where the order is over a specific amount, the shipping is free; and

- the cost per qt is $9.50 utilizing my membership with the vendor I use.

The price differences can also be said about tires. I went to one of my local dealerships to get a estimate on tires and was shocked. When I showed him what I could get shipped free to a UPS store 50 miles away and the cost per tire he couldn't believe it. The price from the US distributor was $100.00 below his cost which he said he couldn't even come close to.

To pick up my orders I have to drive (ride) 100 miles - return trip. Paying tax on $100.00 of goods is far better than $500.00 for the same items if bought local.

I am not against a dealer making a profit however hate being taken advanatage of.

Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Ontario, Canada

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Post by themainviking » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:27 am

dragon2000 wrote:I am not against a dealer making a profit however hate being taken advanatage of.
I agree with you Steve. Now that I understand exactly how and what you were referring to, I also agree with your methods. I have a U.S. address in Niagara Falls, with a son living on the Canadian side. I have stuff shipped to the U.S. address and every time I go down to visit my son, I skip across and pick up all my goodies. Free shipping in the U.S. makes a large difference in the price.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Mike 545
Motorcycle: Blue 2012 GL1800
1995 GL1500 Goldwing SE

Post by Mike 545 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:29 am

How do you get it across the border - tires are pretty big?

themainviking

Post by themainviking » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:42 am

Mike 545 wrote:How do you get it across the border - tires are pretty big?
If I have tires in the mix, I take my cargo trailer, or if I have my pickup, I use that. I do not try to scam or defraud the customs people, as the penalties are too steep. I declare everything and pay the taxes. I do find though that I can normally get tires here at only a slight cost increase from the U.S., if I shop real hard and then make a reasonalble offer to whomever I am buying from. A for instance here. I wanted a set of Michelin tires for my truck. I did all the checking online, and could have gotten the tires I wanted, shipped to Niagara Falls, for just under $1000.00 for the four. My package receipt depot charges $5.95 each for the four tires. I got the four tires here by offering our local Kal Tire outlet a flat $1100.00 for the tires, installed and balanced, with new steel valve stems. So I paid about $75 extra to not have to fool around getting the tires in Niagara, and having them installed somewhere that I did not buy them. Sometimes it just isn't enough less costly in the U.S. to make it worth the hassle, but a lot of the time it is. Any item, like the tire installation machine I am looking at now, cost $500 to ship up here, but from free to $130 to ship to Niagara Falls N.Y. That $370 to $500 in savings makes it all worth while, and pays for a trip to visit the grandkids.

dragon2000
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie

Post by dragon2000 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:26 pm

Like you Viking, I also report everything at the Border.

At the same time I also try to play ball with Dealership's here however in my area there is somewhat of a monopoly and many will not play. At the same time they also site liability issues and will not install tires not purchased from them. As I said, with us being so close to the border it is their loss and many of the outlets on the other side are more than happy to see us. Some of them even point out that for vehicle tires some are even made in Canada, shipped to the US and we pay more for them here than we would across the border.

If you want another example for differences in costs, take a look at the links below for Satellite weather. I was really taken back when it was pointed out to me.

Nav Weather US - http://www.siriusxm.com/navweather/pricing

Nav Weather Cdn - http://www.xmwxweather.com/ground/data- ... ricing.php
Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Ontario, Canada

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:33 pm

dragon2000 wrote:If you want another example for differences in costs, take a look at the links below for Satellite weather. I was really taken back when it was pointed out to me.

Nav Weather US - http://www.siriusxm.com/navweather/pricing

Nav Weather Cdn - http://www.xmwxweather.com/ground/data- ... ricing.php
That's not a fair comparison. The $9.99/month product is just some consumer-grade radar charts and 3-day forecasts to show on your car's GPS. The $99.99/month product is full a professional weather product, with METARs, TAFs, high-resolution NEXRAD radar, and every aviation and maritime weather product you would need, intended for use on satellite-enabled aircraft and maritime weather systems.

Paulcf
Motorcycle: not listed

Post by Paulcf » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:20 pm

Wow, such chatter about oil! I've decided to make this a non issue. Manual says (2003) 10W-40 and so it is written, so shall it be done. Honda makes/presents a good oil filter and thus for about $50 I have changed my oil. Synthetic or non, I don't care, either is permissible for the engine/clutch (motorcycle oil ONLY). I change my oil every 5K miles so it is easy to remember. Voila, no more issue or worries. Happy riding.

themainviking

Post by themainviking » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:05 pm

How dare you bring up oil in an oil thread, when we have so handily hijacked it to cross border purchasing, LMAO. Yeah, Paul, if you change your oil every 5K Kms, it really only matters that you use a JASO MA-MA2, and Honda's filters are quite good. I have problems with cooler weather starting with 10W40, but that does seem limited to 2009 model years, go figure.

Busdriver54
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing

Post by Busdriver54 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:56 pm

I have a 2003 Wing, just purchased in Feb. 2015. (first Wing) I read on a lot of posts, that synthetic oil makes the trans shift smoother, engine quiter, etc. I just switched to Amsoil 10w30 at 10,800 miles. My question is , how long does it take until you notice these different, but positive change???

themainviking

Post by themainviking » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:02 pm

You got a 2003 Goldwing GL1800 with only 10,800 miles on it? The parts may be so tight that you never do notice a difference. One thing that would probably help would have been if you put in a 10W40 Synthetic (Amsoil or other) as it is just a tiny bit thicker at say 70-80 F. If you were going to see any drastic difference, you should have seen it in the first few miles after changing it. Another thought on the subject tho is - perhaps the bike already had a synthetic product in it. In this case you would not see any appreciable change.

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Post by wingman12 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:10 pm

Evening busdriver, with that low mileage you would not notice any change, the bike is barely broke in. The 2 biggest advantages of synthetic is because the oil is high detergent it keeps the engine clean and it never changes its viscosity regardless of the temperature. There are other benefits as well. Some people sware by amsol oil, but I checked them out with several sites and they came in last out of the top four oil manufacturers, Mobil 1, shell , castrol, amsol. The ratings were based on engine protection, fuel economy and longevity. I personally use the mobile 1 automotive oil ( and have for the last 135,000 miles of its 142,000 mile life) never had a clutch issue nor does it burn any more oil today than the day I bought the bike with 0 miles on her. Strictly my personal experience based on what it is. Fact not fiction. Sorry folks to bring everyone back to the original topic. Ride safe and ride as long as you can. :D :D

Busdriver54

Post by Busdriver54 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:46 am

Thanks to Wingman12 n Viking for your response n input. I guess i'll never know if my bike already had synthetic oil when I bought it. All I do know is I love the bike, n I'm
going to enjoy her as long as I can, at 74 years young.

wingman12

Post by wingman12 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:13 am

Good morning busdriver, happy trails on your new ride. :D :D

themainviking

Post by themainviking » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:19 am

One thing, Busdriver, that I would do, is check for how dirty the oil gets in the next, say, 500 miles. If it gets really dirty, then probably the bike did not have regular oil changes due to not being run very much. In this case, I would just go ahead and do an oil and filter change to get all that crud out. If not dirty at about the 500 mile mark, then continue on to your next scheduled regular oil change interval. I think you will find that the inside of your engine is pretty clean already.

Busdriver54

Post by Busdriver54 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:52 pm

I will defiantly keep that in mind Viking, I have read lots of your posts, and you make a lot of good points and I value your opinions. So thats again. I am so glad I joined this forum, for it is full of valuable information. Kudos to all of you and also Wingadmin.

See Ya, The Busdriver

ggreene1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL 1800

Post by ggreene1 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:48 am

I guess when it come to oil changes on my Wing, I'm not going to skimp in any way... I will continue to use full synthetic oil, as has been done since the bike was new. I guess I don't see the point of spending 21K on a bike and then trying to save 8 dollars on an oil change. Just my 2 cents...
Ride Safe...

Busdriver54

Post by Busdriver54 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:22 am

What is the recommended viscosity (10w 30 or 10w 40 amsoil) for a 2003 gl1800. I recently switched to amsoil 10w30 and after a good warm-up, the shifting seems to get klunkier. (Louder) Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
PS. I'm thinking I should have used 10w 40.

wingman12

Post by wingman12 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:29 pm

the recommended is 10W40. :D :D

Busdriver54

Post by Busdriver54 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:56 pm

So, should I dump the 10w30 and replace with 10w40 or put up with the klunky shifts until my next change is do?

wingman12

Post by wingman12 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:36 pm

Your choice but the 10W30 will not hurt anything it is just a little thinner. :D :D

mightymousesr
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800/Lehman Trike

Post by mightymousesr » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:24 am

Hi guys and gals! just a little input here. Whether you use synthetic or conventional/diesel oil the engine really doesn't care. I read a review on a motorcycle oil site and one thing I found out is on a multi-viscosity oil the Heavier ( 30,40,45, etc.) weight is brought in play by additives. These additives get damaged by a thing called "shear" something Harley owners don't need to worry about. Shear is damage that is done to these additives going through the transmission gears in motorcycle engines that share engine/transmission oil! Every one of these sites recommend changing all milti-viscosity oils earlier than you would in a standard engine, the more shear (miles) the lower the protection number becomes due to additive damage. I use Rotella T in everything I own. I change my oil every 2500 miles religiously. One more thing I use to work for one of the Big Auto part suppliers and we set up a display. We cut open a NEW Fram, Wix, Purolator, and a K&N oil filter compared them internally..... The Fram filter will make your heart skip a beat, it had at least 1/2 the filtering media every other filter had, card board caps holding the media, every one else had metal caps, the spring to allow your filter to by-pass is a bent metal plate (kind of like a metal klicker toy) all others were springs, anti backflow valves were different quality rubber except Fram had to support theirs with a metal shim! Needless to say I use K&N because of the nut on the cap, or Purolator period. Just my opinion and views of website information.

AmsTech
Motorcycle: 2014 GL1800

Post by AmsTech » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:50 pm

Hi everyone, lots of discussion here about oils, synthetic oils and filters. First like The Viking, I use Amsoil Synthetic Motor Cycle Oil 10w-30 and an EaOM 103 Synthetic Oil Filter in my 2014 Gold Wing as the recommended oil viscosity in the HONDA OWNERS MANUAL and heres why.
Amsoil makes Synthetic oil "Specifically Designed" for motorcycle use. They have the Metric Motorcycle oils in a 10w-30 and a 10w-40 viscosity. The EaOM oil filter uses a synthetic filtering media that is 98.70% Efficient @ 20 Microns, a conventional paper filter is only efficient 39.39% @ 20 microns. The Amsoil filters use "Nano" Fiber Technology to filter out smaller particles and still allow oil flow through out the oil filter life. The combination of Amsoil Synthetic Motorcycle Oils and EaOM filters have a recommend oil change interval of 2x that of the OEM recommendations. By going 2x longer for the drain interval that just CUT the cost in half. This applies to all street bikes, even the V-Twins. And people say Amsoil is expensive. Now this should cause a stir!
For people who need to store their bikes like me, change the oil and filter and add fuel stabilizer, run the bike for 5 minutes to allow oil and treated fuel to flow through the systems just prior to storage. Hook a battery minder up and leave it alone until your ready to ride or add modifications.

2008retiredplb
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 now a 2016 HTS1800 RoadSmith Trike
2001 GL1800
1998 1100 Honda Shadow ACE
1972 Honda CL450

Post by 2008retiredplb » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:02 am

AmsTech wrote:Hi everyone, lots of discussion here about oils, synthetic oils and filters. First like The Viking, I use Amsoil Synthetic Motor Cycle Oil 10w-30 and an EaOM 103 Synthetic Oil Filter in my 2014 Gold Wing as the recommended oil viscosity in the HONDA OWNERS MANUAL and heres why.
Amsoil makes Synthetic oil "Specifically Designed" for motorcycle use. They have the Metric Motorcycle oils in a 10w-30 and a 10w-40 viscosity. The EaOM oil filter uses a synthetic filtering media that is 98.70% Efficient @ 20 Microns, a conventional paper filter is only efficient 39.39% @ 20 microns. The Amsoil filters use "Nano" Fiber Technology to filter out smaller particles and still allow oil flow through out the oil filter life. The combination of Amsoil Synthetic Motorcycle Oils and EaOM filters have a recommend oil change interval of 2x that of the OEM recommendations. By going 2x longer for the drain interval that just CUT the cost in half. This applies to all street bikes, even the V-Twins. And people say Amsoil is expensive. Now this should cause a stir!
For people who need to store their bikes like me, change the oil and filter and add fuel stabilizer, run the bike for 5 minutes to allow oil and treated fuel to flow through the systems just prior to storage. Hook a battery minder up and leave it alone until your ready to ride or add modifications.
I agree with what you have on this post but I did some checking on the viscosity after having some starter problems, I had another post a long time ago on that.
What I was told by Honda is: "In 2009 the viscosity of the recommended oil changed from 10W40 to 10W30 in the 2009 and newer Goldwing". If you are in a much warmer climate like southern California or Florida where the temperature never gets below 50 degrees, then the 10W40 will work, but up north where it often gets down to temps below that, then the 10W30 is recommended. I tested it out by running AmsOil Full synthetic 10W40 and had starting problems when it dipped below 50 degrees. But with changing back to AmsOil full synthetic 10W30 for the next oil change it had no problems. So I went back to Amsoil full synthetic 10W40 and the starter problems appeared again. Now I use AmsOil Full Synthetic 10W30 all the time. And the cost of full synthetic AmsOil was cheaper or very little more, than the Honda full synthetic at the Honda dealer. When I change the oil it comes out much cleaner than "dino" oil after the recommended mileage oil change. So I know it will go much longer (2X) between oil changes. I change the oil before I put the bike in storage for the winter so it doesn't sit with all the contaminates while it is in winter storage.
I do use AmsOil in everything I own, Cycle, lawnmower, snowblower and any small engine I have. I even use AmsOil gear lube in the differential. I am not going to say that AmsOil is necessarily the best oil available, but it works well for me.
"Love to ride and ride to love"

themainviking

Post by themainviking » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:21 am

2008retiredplb wrote: What I was told by Honda is: "In 2009 the viscosity of the recommended oil changed from 10W40 to 10W30 in the 2009 and newer Goldwing". If you are in a much warmer climate like southern California or Florida where the temperature never gets below 50 degrees, then the 10W40 will work, but up north where it often gets down to temps below that, then the 10W30 is recommended. I tested it out by running AmsOil Full synthetic 10W40 and had starting problems when it dipped below 50 degrees. But with changing back to AmsOil full synthetic 10W30 for the next oil change it had no problems. So I went back to Amsoil full synthetic 10W40 and the starter problems appeared again. Now I use AmsOil Full Synthetic 10W30 all the time.
Yeah, I do not know what the change was that Honda made in 2009, and it may even have been in effect in 2008. I know of several people who have had Sprague Clutch issues (the starter clutch) with 2009 Goldwings, some 2008 Goldwings. I also have the issue. I had to revert back to 10W30 Amsoil for spring and fall and I do not often ride in extremely warm areas, so I just stuck with the 10W30. With the 10W40, my starter would not engage. It would just spin with a high pitched whine. The second, or third time I hit the button, it would engage, and was good for the day. With the 10W30, it is first time, every time. I asked the Amsoil Tech Support people about it, and they said that the temps at which the 10 and the 40 were measured should not have made that much a difference as opposed to 10W30, but they would study it when they were ready to reformulate. In the mean time, they were to change the recommendations on the Amsoil Web site to reflect 10W30 for 2009 and newer. I do not know if they ever got around to doing this.

Note: Just checked, and they haven't. They still recommend 10W30 and 10W40 without explanation. So, My Personal Recommendation for 2009 and newer GL1800s is 10W30 unless living and riding in very warm summer climate, (like Australia) use 10W40. Just as an afterthought 2008retiredplb, severe gear 75W90 is recommended for the differential.

Fatboy46
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing 1500 Aspencade with Roadsmith Trike kit

Post by Fatboy46 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:26 pm

Met a fellow years ago, buying a case of 'cheap' oil filters. I had to ask why.. He asked me to follow him to his truck. He popped the hood on a 10 year old Ford F150- straight six- and removed a GOOD name brand filter and replaced it with a cheap one. Then he pulled the dipstick and showed me the oil- it had a little tinge to it.. the truck had over 200k miles on it. He would drive the truck that day, and take it to an oil change place tomorrow- they would toss the cheap filter with whatever dirt was left in the engine and put a new name brand filter on. This was dinosaur oil, not Mobil 1--- I suspect there was not one bit of sludge in that engine.. unfortunately, all my vehicles had V8 or V6 engines and the oil filters were almost inaccessible- unless you were under the vehicle. I still run synthetic in my cars and change the filter at 5k- and add a quart- then a full change at 10k. I do NOT drive in heavy traffic anymore as I am retired- so it works well for me.
My 97 GW Aspy Trike has synthetic MC oil- plan to keep it that way.