Just Some Basic Instruction with my 2003 Wing

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Digitalsaw
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEI

Just Some Basic Instruction with my 2003 Wing

Postby Digitalsaw » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:26 pm

I have been the owner of a 2003 Goldwing for all of 48 hours. The owner could not find the original user's manual. So, while I wait for one to come in I want to ask if you guys can give me some basics:

1. Adjusting Suspension - Can anyone help me understand the steps I need to take to adjust the suspension. It is VERY different than my old 1986.
2. Tire Air Pressure - Can anyone tell me how to check, increase or decrease air in the tires? Again, very different from my 86'
3. Fuse Box - My gauges quit working and I'm positive I either hit the wrong button or blew a fuse. Can you help me out?

Thanks guys. I would very much appreciate any help I can get.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: Just Some Basic Instruction with my 2003 Wing

Postby thrasherg » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:17 am

There really is no adjustment on the front forks, You are stuck with it the way Honda built it, you can change the oil viscosity or level, but that is all. I would however recommend fitting a set of Traxxion fork springs as they make a huge difference to the front end. The rear shock absorber is adjustable for preload only, this can only be done with the ignition on (Engine can be running, but doesn't have to be) and the neutral light on, use the rocker button on the left fairing panel, it will go from 1 to some maximum figure (I think it's 25, but am not 100% sure) the higher the number the more preload you have. I fitted a traxxion rear spring (Much stiffer) as the rear end is seriously undersprung (As is the front). I believe most people run with the suspension preload near the maximum to get some ground clearance and improve handling.

Tyre pressures require you to put the bike on the center stand and then turn the wheel until you have access to the valve on the wheel rim and then use a conventional pressure gauge to check the pressure and add or remove air as required. there is no onboard compressor on the 2003 model to inflate the tyres, you do it the old fashioned way with a compressor. I run around 38psi on the front and 41 on the rear.

There is no button to turn the gauges on/off that I can think off, so if they are not working, I suspect a fuse has let go. Most of the fuses I believe are located behind the left side panel (The panel under the seat), it pulls off and should reveal the fuse panel..

Hope this helps.

Gary

FlyBoy2121
Motorcycle: Honda GoldWing
Gl 1800 2003

Re: Just Some Basic Instruction with my 2003 Wing

Postby FlyBoy2121 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:16 am

Digitalsaw

Go to see your PM

FlyBoy2121

Digitalsaw wrote:I have been the owner of a 2003 Goldwing for all of 48 hours. The owner could not find the original user's manual. So, while I wait for one to come in I want to ask if you guys can give me some basics:

1. Adjusting Suspension - Can anyone help me understand the steps I need to take to adjust the suspension. It is VERY different than my old 1986.
2. Tire Air Pressure - Can anyone tell me how to check, increase or decrease air in the tires? Again, very different from my 86'
3. Fuse Box - My gauges quit working and I'm positive I either hit the wrong button or blew a fuse. Can you help me out?

Thanks guys. I would very much appreciate any help I can get.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”