idle air control valve vs. fuel pump?

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
johnd
Motorcycle: 2003 GL 1800

idle air control valve vs. fuel pump?

Postby johnd » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:39 pm

Hi folks, new to the forum, first post. I have a 2003 GL 1800. Bought it 2 weeks ago with only 5800 miles; thats right 5-8-0-0. Am 3rd owner. It has obviously been sitting more than it has been ridden. Maintenance history is unknown. I know, buyer beware. Anyhow, Monday night was riding in the 100 degree heat when FI light came on. Didn't know at the time about how to park and watch the light flash, so don't know the code. The problem is the idle. After sitting for a while, it starts instantly but after about 1 minute, it idles as if it is running out of gas, then dies (FI light does NOT come on). I rode down the street once just to see what might happen and it runs but it misses, as if it is running out of gas. As long as the rpm's are 2-3K, it runs normally. Took it to the local dealer and he said that no codes showed up, so it might be the fuel pump. I have been thru 2 tanks of fresh gas, non-ethanol. Talked to lot of other people and read many forums and am leaning towards believing it is worth checking the idle air control valve. WHERE IS IT? Thought I'd start there before spending $450 on a fuel pump that MIGHT be the problem. Any other thoughts? By the way, I also frequent a forum for diesel pick-up owners; this one is WAY better!

wingfart
Motorcycle: 2007 gl1800

Re: idle air control valve vs. fuel pump?

Postby wingfart » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:55 pm

Don't have an answer for your problem, but try posting on the tech part of GL1800riders.com. The help available there is quite amazing.

johnd
Motorcycle: 2003 GL 1800

Re: idle air control valve vs. fuel pump?

Postby johnd » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:21 pm

Thank you. Thank you.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”