SoundGate HONPDSDR operation question

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
JMikeH
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 'BlkWng' Metallic Black Audio Comfort Navi XM ABS

SoundGate HONPDSDR operation question

Postby JMikeH » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:24 pm

I've got the SoundGate HONPDSDR on my 2010 Goldwing. I've got a question about it if anyone would know. It's been working perfectly for me. But I've noticed that even though I have it set for Random play (off of an iPod Nano 3rd Gen 8G) it's currently showing that it's on CD4. I'm currently on track 98 of that CD. I've not been able to catch it when it changes to a different CD if there is a particular track it changes CDs on or what.

Does anyone know?

I'm thinking it's at the Track 100 and I'm trying to watch for it but I figured I would ask if anyone else might know. And is there any limit on the CD's that it cycles to?

Mike...

Mike...

johanvrens
Motorcycle: 2012 Red GL1800, ABS, NAV, Airbag, Premium Audio

Re: SoundGate HONPDSDR operation question

Postby johanvrens » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:48 am

This is an old thread but I'll post a reply anyway.

I recently purchased the Soundgate and I've been using it for more than 20 hours over a few weeks on short rides. I noticed the same behavior.

I have a Classic 160GB and when I set the Soundgate to random, it starts at CD1 T1, goes up to CD1 T99, then CD1 T1-99 again before switching to CD2 T1. I have not reached the end of the CD2 cycle yet, but my guess is that it plays 199 tracks for each CD and depending on the bike model, up to CD6 or CD9. That gives you a total of 1,194 or 1,799 tracks before it stops showing the track number (that is, if I read the accompanying documentation correctly).

This should not make any difference as you're in random mode, so CD and track numbers really has no meaning. However, if you're in normal mode, then each CD number represents a playlist on the iPod and again depending on the bike model will go up to CD6 or CD9 (mine goes up to CD9).

Hope this answers your question?

Cheers!

JMikeH

Postby JMikeH » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:29 pm

Thanks, I still never have gotten mine up to the end to see it roll back over to CD1. The last time I was close to it (on CD6), I happened to be playing with the buttons on the control panel and it reset it back to the beginning CD1 (need to memorize what button does what on the dash). I'll have to wait and see again for when it gets to the end. I've got a 2010 model and from what I know, I believe a 6Disc changer is available for it so I'm assuming the CD6 is as high as it will get.
Mike...

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:57 am

Believe it or not, you do not have the same stereo and GPS units on your 2010 bikes. The U.S. versions got some upgrades in 2009 and 2010 that the rest of the world did not get. The Australian model will likely go to CD6 but the US will go to CD9. It is the function of the Stereo Radio unit on the bike. The same is true of the NAVI units. In 2009, the US bikes went to NT mapping and SD memory cards, while the rest of the world continued on in 2009 and again in 2010 with the old CF carded units which are not capable of NT mapping display. In Feb 2012, Garmin came out with firmware Version 4.60 which corrected this for CF carded units.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

JMikeH

Postby JMikeH » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:13 am

Interesting, I did not know that.

Thanks,
Mike...

johanvrens
Motorcycle: 2012 Red GL1800, ABS, NAV, Airbag, Premium Audio

Postby johanvrens » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:02 am

themainviking wrote:Believe it or not, you do not have the same stereo and GPS units on your 2010 bikes. The U.S. versions got some upgrades in 2009 and 2010 that the rest of the world did not get. The Australian model will likely go to CD6 but the US will go to CD9. It is the function of the Stereo Radio unit on the bike.....

I know there are differences between the US and Aus models, for e.g. the saddlebag running lights and brake lights are blanks (not connected), but wasn't aware of the radio differences other than differences between different years. I had a BikeMP3 before (the IP3 version) and it showed CD1 to CD9 when I scrolled through the playlists on my iPoid Classic. So, based on your comment, I decided to check what the SoundGate shows. I have just spent the last hour to 90 min playing around with 2 iPods - one with 7 playlists and 6,000+ songs (Classic) and one with 11 playlists and 12 songs (early version Nano). Well, I was very surprised with the following results. All I can think of is that it is not just the radio but also the media player that determines what is displayed.

This is what I did:
  • Put the SoundGate in SDR mode (full control over the iPod click wheel).
  • On the iPod, select the first song (track) on the first playlist.
  • The radio display shows CD1 T1 and the elapsed play time.
  • Use the handlebar track/playlist lever to skip through the tracks.
  • The radio shows CD1 T1 up to CD1 T99.
  • When I skip to the next track, it still shows CD1 T99 but plays the next track (track 100).
  • Select the next track again - display shows CD1 T1 and plays the next track (track 101).
At this point, I have played/skipped 101 tracks, so the second display of CD1 T99 must be for track 100 (it seems the radio can only display 2 digits, and cannot display 00, so it displays 99 for both tracks 99 and 100).

• Continue skipping tracks and the radio display cycles through CD1 T99 for the second time, then CD2 T1 - at this point 199 tracks played while showing CD1 and now on track 200 showing CD2 T1.
  • This continues until CD6 T99 is reached (yes, I had to painfully go through 1,194 tracks to reach this point :roll:).
  • From hereon in the display stays on CD6 T99 until the end of the playlist is reached (the iPod continues to play the rest of the tracks in the current playlist).
  • At the end of the playlist, the first track of the next playlist starts playing and the display goes back to CD1 T1.
  • When the last track of the last playlist is reached and it finishes playing, the iPod stops.
Just remember that an empty playlist will automatically cause the media player to stop playing and the iPod stops too. To get it going again, just switch audio sources and back to CD and it will start playing the first track on the first playlist again (or at least that is what it does on mine).

If the SoundGate is put in RI mode (iPod click wheel locked and showing "OK to disconnect"), it behaves similar with the following exceptions:
  • Skipping tracks up and down seems to stay within the same plylist, i.e. the next playlist is not automatically selected when it reaches the last track of the current playlist.
  • To scroll through playlists you must use the playlist up/playlist down buttons.
  • When a new playlist is selected, the radio shows CD1 T1 again. The CD number shown never seems to correspond to a playlist number but rather indicates the track number multiplier beyond track 99 (i.e. CD3 T6 represents either track 404 or 504, depending on whether this is the first or second iteration of displaying CD3. Basically useless.
  • When the end of a playlist is reached, if "Repeat All" was previously selected, it starts playing track 1 of the same playlist again. If not selected, play stops.

So, it seems all functions are working according to the SoundGate documentation. The CD and track numbers mean nothing. Neither tells you what playlist or track within a playlist you're playing. I have found that the easiest is to select SDR and random mode and to let the iPod and SoundGate do their thing. At least it remembers where it was when you switch audio sources or turn the bike off and there seems to be NO LIMIT to the number of playlists and songs you have on your iPod - it will play all tracks within a playlist and allow scrolling through any number of playlists. Just make sure you don't have any empty playlists - the SoundGate doesn't like it. :(

My playlists are grouped by genre so if I wanted to listen to a specific playlist, pressing playlist up/down puts the SoundGate back into playlist playing mode and then I just scroll through my playlists until I recognise the genre.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:44 am

You put a lot of time into this, and I am impressed. Yes, as you have shown, it must be a function of both music player, and Honda Stereo that create the differences. J&Ms mp3 unit does not function the same as a bikemp3 unit either. What I have gained from this is that I really know very little about what the Honda Stereo will do with the many assorted add ons available. I am, however, learning.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

JMikeH

Postby JMikeH » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:31 am

Thanks also, very informative information.
Mike...

gto49
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800 Black Navi/Comfort

Postby gto49 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:19 pm

I'm still learning about my HONPDSDR... I've tried cycling through my playlists, to no avail. It would play RANDOM ALL OK, but not playlists. For some reason, I selected a playlist on my iPod (Nano 8 GB) and started a song. Then went to another playlist, and played a song there. Then I cycled through the playlists using the Presets on the radio, and what do you know, it started playing songs in those playlists.. but only those playlists. It would only skip ONLY to the playlists I had selected before, skipping over all the other playlists.

So, I decided it looked like it would recognize playlists it had already played, but not those it hadn't played any songs yet. So I went through each playlist and started playing a song. Next playlist, play song, etc. Then when I cycled through the playlists, the HONPDSDR now recognizes all of the playlists!

Not sure why it wouldn't recognize a playlist until the iPod had played a song in it... but now it works.

"Black Beauty" 2006 GL1800 Navi/Comfort

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”