Hollow plastic annoying clunking sound

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Hollow plastic annoying clunking sound

Postby Steve F » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:45 am

I LOVE my 'wing but........it's getting increasingly annoying to hear the rattling of the plastic fairing parts when I go over bumps and RR tracks and stuff. It sounds like the whole fairing is about to fall off. :shock: Everything, as far as I can tell, is tight and nothing is obviously loose, but the rattling is getting to me. The bike has just 16K on the ODO, and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing. Maybe some sound deadening sheeting material like they use on the floorboards in hot rods and custom cars would work?
Steve F

"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Re: Hollow plastic annoying clunking sound

Postby Red Ron » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:43 am

Most of it comes from the trunk lid if your bike is the norm. Some put a small dia. plastic tube into the trunk lid to absorb the clash between trunk and lid. Some use a product called "rubber baby bumpers". Some bikes get worse and the lid starts to chafe the trunk over time. Also you may have too much air pressure creating a harsh ride. Also if you apply enough brake right before hitting bumps you may be activating the antidive which will make the front shocks stiffen up creating a much harsher result when you roll over the bump. Also on some the anti-dive sticks and makes the front end stiff all of the time. I hate to get too far off the subject, but I disabled my antidive.

Steve F
'03 GL1800

Postby Steve F » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:40 am

Disabled the anti-dive you say???? How's that done?

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:04 pm

Word of advise, Don't disable the anti dive without fitting stiffer fork springs.. The wing front end is very soft and can really dive if you disable the anti dive with stock springs. If you fit stiffer springs, Traxxion, etc, then definitely disable the anti dive unit. There is a little washer that you can buy (Got mine from eBay for a couple of bucks), you remove the two screw holding the anti dive plunger to the fork, insert the washer and put the unit back together with the new slightly longer bolts.. It takes all of 5 minutes to fit the washer!! With the stiffer springs and the disabled anti-dive, my wing handles much better than stock.

Gary

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:50 pm

Hey Steve F. Sorry to take so long. I did what is commonly referred to as the "nickel trick". You drill a 7/32" (1/4" is close enough) hole in the center of a nickel. You take the 2 screws out of the antidive as described by Thrasherg. The antdive will seperate into 2 halves. Place the nickel in the recess between the 2 halves. This prevents the plunger from activating the unit. You can use the same 2 screws to put everything back together.

It is probably best to go with Progressive or Traxxion springs as Thrasherg said but I still have the stock springs and I have had to brake hard many times and I have no excessive dive and my ride over bumps, holes, rocks, etc. is much smoother. I know several others who, like me, kept the stock springs and don't notice any excessive dive when braking. I think a lot of guys would keep the stock springs when doing this procedure if they rode the stock springs a while before switching to aftermarket springs.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:36 pm

Hi Steve; Yeah, I had the same problem.. the rattling is from the plastic piece of fake chrome that is on top of the front fender. If you buy and fit a fork brace to the front forks, this rattling goes away. That takes care of the front. Now for the rear. There are all sorts of ways to make the trunk lid fit better, and a couple were mentioned above. These work for the trunk lid itself, but the majority of the rattling from the trunk is from the trunk hinges inside the trunk. People wrap and tape foam around them to test if this is the problem, but I have not yet seen a satisfactory fix that lasts any amount of time. Anyone who has, please feel free to post it.

Viking
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Steve F
'03 GL1800

Postby Steve F » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:26 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking that most of the rattling that I'm hearing is coming from the front. Bumps in the road, RR tracks etc. just make the whole fairing sound like I'm in a big plastic box full of other plastic boxes rattling around.
I have noticed a slight clinking sound coming from the rear area, and haven't figured what that's from, so I'll take a look at covering the hinges with some foam or something.

Southern Man
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby Southern Man » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:50 pm

Truthfully, I think it is the nature of the beast.

I just sold our 2008 1800 with only 10,000 miles on it. IT was out of warranty when we bought it and as mentiond about sounded like a plastic bottle of nuts and bolts was bouncing around in the fairing. The 1st owner told me it did it from the day he bought it but did not take it in for warranty work.

Our new ride an 04 with 12,000 miles is much quiter but no matter how you slice and dice it large numbers of plastic parts are going to squeek and rattle, more and more with age.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS: Don't worry boy's thoes Rebels could not hit an elephant at this distance. Gen. John Sedgewick @ Spotsylivania 1864.

Steve F
'03 GL1800

Postby Steve F » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:41 pm

I'd like to see what this thing looks like in super slow motion when going over bumps and stuff. I'll bet they plastic parts are looking like Jell-o and flapping about. HONDA needs to study things like this a little closer. Even the windshield rattles.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:31 am

Further to my reply above, my buddy put some sticky one side foam padding under that front fender chrome piece, and then snapped it back into place, and this corrected his front end rattle. Still working on a cure for the tour pak hinges... We have done the rubber baby bumper fix on the lid.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

mbuesing
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800
Past rides.
1991 Yamaha Venture Royal 1300
1979 Kawasaki SR 650
198? Yamaha 175 Enduro
1976 Kawasaki KZ 400 (my son still rides this bike)
197? Yamaha 90 Enduro
1965 Honda S65 Sport
Minnie bike

Postby mbuesing » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:59 am

04 with 45,000 nice and quiet. :?: Only thing so far was to add felt tabs around trunk.
The GL1800 is a crotch rocket on Steroids.

frostypop
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Postby frostypop » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm

what items do you have in your left and right glove boxes? do you have something in there that could be part of the problem?
as for the trunk when i added the luggage rack i got some rubber vaccum hose and thredded it through, i do not remember the size but it helped.
also i had a bolt fall out on the right hand side by the hinge and it was rattling and squeeking, i found the bolt down inside of the right passenger pocket, had to do a little dissasembling but i retrieved it, put locktight on it and checked the rest of the bolts. 8-)

dragon2000
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie

Postby dragon2000 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:46 pm

mbuesing wrote:04 with 45,000 nice and quiet. :?: Only thing so far was to add felt tabs around trunk.

I have to agree with the above suggestion.

When I bought my GW, a couple of other owners suggested that I should head off the rubbing while the bike was new. I tried the little Rubber Bumpers and also inserted the tubing into the rear trunk seal and top & main case is still rubbing although not as bad.

Steve
Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Ontario, Canada

jajeanquart
Motorcycle: 1991 goldwing interstate

Postby jajeanquart » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:37 pm

Steve F wrote:I LOVE my 'wing but........it's getting increasingly annoying to hear the rattling of the plastic fairing parts when I go over bumps and RR tracks and stuff. It sounds like the whole fairing is about to fall off. :shock: Everything, as far as I can tell, is tight and nothing is obviously loose, but the rattling is getting to me. The bike has just 16K on the ODO, and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing. Maybe some sound deadening sheeting material like they use on the floorboards in hot rods and custom cars would work?
Steve F

Reading the posts and I have experienced a similar but unrelated problem with the trunk locks detaching from the top trunk going over bumps....this is with the locks in the locked position.....keeping in mind that this is an 82 Wing, and has had some bruising over the years.....and not everthing lining up correctly.....I had some plastic tubing, the small stuff used for aquarium pumps...........cut a piece to length to fit along the rear most inside edge of the trunk, and super glued it in place...........Now with the tighter fit and no sloppy play.......the locks stay locked....
Also, i dont know for sure.........but would it be possible to use, if not already in place, rubber washers, one or two thick, to remount the fairing onto the brackets.......acting as a more efficient cushion when traveling over rough terrain..........jeff

Mike 545
Motorcycle: Blue 2012 GL1800
1995 GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby Mike 545 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:08 am

Does anyone have any pictures of the suggestions - before and after the procedure?

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”