Voice Activated Microphone

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
rcr
Motorcycle: 2005 1800A Goldwing

Voice Activated Microphone

Postby rcr » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:58 am

Has anyone used or found a voice activated microphone and/or headset for a 2005 Goldwing that will fit an open face helmet? I would also be intested in an in-line VOX. I am currently using J&M Elite series headsets and have alot of wind noise when the intercom is on and it tends to drown out the radio. I figure one way to eliminate that is to use a VOX or a voice activated microphone. I know some of the noise will still be there when talking on the intercom but it should be gone when no one is talking.

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Re: Voice Activated Microphone

Postby Red Ron » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:46 pm

Many use a product called "Mic-Mutes". I don't have that much trouble with wind noise and therefore don't know everyone that sells them but I am pretty sure that Wingstuff and Honda Direct Line sells them. You could probably google them and find other info or vendors.

salyzyn
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby salyzyn » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:48 am

+1 on Mic Mutes.

Adjust the mic sensitivity on your Audio Unit, the Bike has it's own Voice Activation circuit for the Intercom. Decrease sensitivity until the VOX is not triggered. You still get some noise, but then you can also adjust the Intercom gain for that until you find a comfortable compromise. It really is a good system if adjusted correctly.

The GL2way has a Voice Activated Microphone features (VOX) to trigger the PTT on the radio(s) that are connected. They have a DSP algorithm to prevent false triggers on wind noise.

frostypop
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Postby frostypop » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:11 pm

salyzyn wrote:+1 on Mic Mutes.

Adjust the mic sensitivity on your Audio Unit, the Bike has it's own Voice Activation circuit for the Intercom. Decrease sensitivity until the VOX is not triggered. You still get some noise, but then you can also adjust the Intercom gain for that until you find a comfortable compromise. It really is a good system if adjusted correctly.

The GL2way has a Voice Activated Microphone features (VOX) to trigger the PTT on the radio(s) that are connected. They have a DSP algorithm to prevent false triggers on wind noise.

i agree with this, i had the same issue, i messed with the intercom control until i found a comfortable level. but i turned the voice activation off because when i use my cell phone it doesn't work right. because of the way i have it hooked up it will mute the person i am talking to, because it is designed to mute the music when you talk. 8-)

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:14 am

salyzyn wrote:+1 on Mic Mutes.

The GoldWing does not have a VOX system! Mics are always "hot" with the I-com system turned on. Having said that, the adjustment suggested above sets the "noise"(voice) level at which the mics will override any other audio system you have on, such as the radio(am/fm) or a CD player.
The only system available to actually shut the mics off, that seems to do a good job IMHO, is the Mic-Mutes.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”