Front fork seals

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Please Support our Sponsors!

Front fork seals

Postby gregb » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:02 pm

Well, my left front fork seal gave up yesterday. Reading thru this forum, it sounds like that is not too unusual. Being a DIY, I was wondering if I have to take the fork completely off to replace the seals? And, any other advise on this problem would be appreciated. My bike is a 2003 GL1800. Thanks, Greg.

gregb

Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Re: Front fork seals

Postby keithg64 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:32 pm

Yup you need to take the forks completly off. I have not done a 1800 but I have done a 1500.
keithg64

Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue

Postby frostypop » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:52 pm

i had the front fork seal replaced last year by my mechanic. and then again this year because i blew left one out. they told me that they had to start using the honda seals because they were having problems with the aftermarket ones leaking. 8-)
frostypop

Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Postby keithg64 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:13 pm

A couple of years ago I replace the ones on my 1100 and intead of useing aftermarket I used OEM and had great luck with them. However I did used aftermarket on my CR250 several years ago with great outcome otherwise.
keithg64

Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue

Postby Red Ron » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:50 pm

Ever notice how it is usually the left one that goes? Most say it is because of the anti dive forcing the seal on that side to absorb more of the shock therefore it is supposedly another reason for disableing it.
Red Ron

Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby frostypop » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:21 pm

the right front fork seal is the one that was leaking first. i think the reason i blew the left one was because i hit a pot the size of a pickup hood and about a foot deep at 30mph with the brakes still being applied to get slowed down.. 8-)
frostypop

Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Postby jfrizby » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:35 pm

same thing happened to me today on my '01 Wing..... same fork.... have the brakes loose and the front tire off I too am a DIY but am at a stand still cause i don't want to mess anything up. Will be ordering re-seal kit from local honda shop tomorrow but need further instructions.... any help would be tremendously appreciated.
Attachments
jfrizby

Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800A
2006 VTX 1300

Postby Bouvier1 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:56 am

I have recently replaced the fork seals on my 2001 Gl1800. This is quite an easy thing to do. After removing the mudguard etc wheel and brakes (wrap a cloth around the brake pipe near to the connector on the left fork and pinch the pipe with a set of grips - this prevents having to completely replace all the brake oil) the right does not need this proceedure. Remove the bit of plastic covering the top of the forks - there are two small screws holding it in position and to get at them simply remove the plastic cover surrounding the ignition lock then use a long handled screwdriver to get at them (no need to strip the top of the bike down as suggested in the books). I then slackened the top securing bolt (which holds the fork in position) and then the top nut on the fork (1)(do not take it off altogether at this stage), I also released the lower fixing bolt(2) which is at the lower end of the fork, where the wheel spindle slides in, (doing it this way stops you having to put the forks into a vice etc). I then released the lower two securing bolts (located just below the top securing bolt) and slid the fork out. Drain off the majority of the oil by removing the fixing bolt at the bottom of the fork and also by removing the top nut - there is some pressure at this stage but not enough to make the bolt fly away (unlike a 1500)j then pump the fork. Once the oil is out remove the metal tube and spring and washer in top of the fork then using the top of the fork simply pull against the lower part ( a couple of hard pulls usually gets it out). I would suggest that the top and bottom bushes are replaced at the same time (made this mistake once before and didn't take long for the seals to go again). The replacement is obviously the opposite proceedure just make sure that (1) and (2) are hand tightened to revent the oil coming out. When the forks are secured by the lower securing bolts the tighten to the required torque.
The right and left forks have different internals but the proceedure is the same. It takes about an hour at most to do both sides once the front wheel etc is out of the way. Hope this helps.
Bouvier1

Motorcycle: 2007 Gl 1800A

Postby Ghostman » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:22 am

If you do the seals take the time to do the bushings and you'll notice a big difference. When you change the oil you'll see a whole bunch of gunk at the bottom of the tubes that needs to be cleaned out from the bushings wearing. Also when I did mine I removed my anti dive and flushed it out with fresh fork oil.
Ghostman

Motorcycle: gl1800

Postby SteelBill » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:41 pm

I ride a 04 Goldwing.It's in the shop now because my left fork seal looked bent.They tried to tell me I need need forks until I told them the parts wear out but the metal doesn't.So they are flushing the oil and replacing both seals.My question is has Honda address this problem ? If it's a common problem because of the linked braking system can we get Honda to do something about it ?
SteelBill

Motorcycle: 2004 gl1800

Postby Bouvier1 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:22 am

I think they could certainly do with a heavier seal if nothing else, after all the seal is the same as one one a CBR1100 (as are the brakes), the weight alone must mean it needs it. I rode my 2001 bike every day for commuting to work etc all year round and the fork did not give up until the bike was 8yrs old, so I really mustn't complain. I do feel that the majority of the problems with the seals is that most owners only use their bikes for a couple of days a week and not at all during the winter (especially in colder climes). The seals may not be worn but will have slightly seized and the movement breaks this allowing oil to escape.
Just a thought.
Bouvier1

Motorcycle: 2007 Gl 1800A

Postby tmstowe » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:12 am

When I had my fork seals replaced last year (yep - left one was leaking!), I also switched the springs for the Progressive springs.

They seem to help the handling of the bike (at least for me they were an improvement). I noticed a lot less wobble (at any speed) on the front end.

Just something to think about while you are working on the forks.
tmstowe

Motorcycle: 2002 Honda GL1800

Postby gregb » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:08 pm

THE SEALS ARE REPLACED AND I'M ON THE ROAD AGAIN. AHHHH, SUMMER IN OREGON IS GREAT FOR RIDING! GREG
gregb

Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Postby mosesmcrae » Sun May 27, 2012 7:19 pm

Bouvier1 wrote:I have recently replaced the fork seals on my 2001 Gl1800. This is quite an easy thing to do. After removing the mudguard etc wheel and brakes (wrap a cloth around the brake pipe near to the connector on the left fork and pinch the pipe with a set of grips - this prevents having to completely replace all the brake oil) the right does not need this proceedure. Remove the bit of plastic covering the top of the forks - there are two small screws holding it in position and to get at them simply remove the plastic cover surrounding the ignition lock then use a long handled screwdriver to get at them (no need to strip the top of the bike down as suggested in the books). I then slackened the top securing bolt (which holds the fork in position) and then the top nut on the fork (1)(do not take it off altogether at this stage), I also released the lower fixing bolt(2) which is at the lower end of the fork, where the wheel spindle slides in, (doing it this way stops you having to put the forks into a vice etc). I then released the lower two securing bolts (located just below the top securing bolt) and slid the fork out. Drain off the majority of the oil by removing the fixing bolt at the bottom of the fork and also by removing the top nut - there is some pressure at this stage but not enough to make the bolt fly away (unlike a 1500)j then pump the fork. Once the oil is out remove the metal tube and spring and washer in top of the fork then using the top of the fork simply pull against the lower part ( a couple of hard pulls usually gets it out). I would suggest that the top and bottom bushes are replaced at the same time (made this mistake once before and didn't take long for the seals to go again). The replacement is obviously the opposite proceedure just make sure that (1) and (2) are hand tightened to revent the oil coming out. When the forks are secured by the lower securing bolts the tighten to the required torque.
The right and left forks have different internals but the proceedure is the same. It takes about an hour at most to do both sides once the front wheel etc is out of the way. Hope this helps.

I just installed Progressive fork springs. The instructions mention preload and some chart listing different bikes, but there is no chart included with the instructions. I went on their website and couldn't find it either. My question is, are these Progressive springs truly drop in for a 2001 Goldwing or is there some adjustment concerning spacers required?

Thanks,
Mosesmcrae
mosesmcrae

Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800

Postby mosesmcrae » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:09 pm

I got a reply from the Progressive people. The fork springs are truly drop in. Keep the same stock spacer. I also found a homemade seal driver. It is a 1 1/2" PVC coupling with the inside ring ground out. A 2" coupling slides over that and then a piece of 2" PVC pipe long enough to slide over the tube and drive the seal into place.
mosesmcrae

Postby wingrider.steve » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:39 pm

SteelBill wrote:I ride a 04 Goldwing.It's in the shop now because my left fork seal looked bent.They tried to tell me I need need forks until I told them the parts wear out but the metal doesn't.So they are flushing the oil and replacing both seals.My question is has Honda address this problem ? If it's a common problem because of the linked braking system can we get Honda to do something about it ?

From the '06 GL1800 onwards the left fork has an extra seal, just below the existing fork seal and it does seem to make a difference. The extra seal has not eliminated the problem but it has definitely reduced the chances of blowing the left seal.
wingrider.steve

Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800A

Postby flash2002 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:44 am

If youre left seal is leaking there's a good chance it's the anti dive causing the leak. Most people cancel the anti dive, you could get a kit for that on E-BAY. If your going to change the seals, maybe had a few bucks and change the springs.
flash2002

Motorcycle: gold wing 1800

Postby winger05 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:16 pm

Forget the stock oil seal replacement ritual and go with the new Monotube progressive gas shock for the front forks. No more leaking seals and improved ride and handling. To me, this is a no brainer. I only have 13000 mi. on my O5 wing and I noticed the right fork leaking again (3rd time). I was paying my local dealer around $300.00 each time to replace both seals. I now have the monotube set-up and love it with no more leaks!!. They also come with a limited lifetime warranty. jcmotors.com is running a summer special for $244.00 a set (see link below). This is about $100.00 off reg. price.

Just my .02

http://www.jcmotors.com/p-31230-progres ... 9v205iwXnp

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/pd ... 20Inst.pdf
winger05

Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade
1987 GL1200 Aspencade
2005 GL1800

Postby mosesmcrae » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:34 am

This monotubes fits down in the tube And no longer requires oil in the strut? My top tube is becoming pitted and I think that may be contributing to the leakage.
mosesmcrae

Postby dragon2000 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:44 am

flash2002 wrote:If youre left seal is leaking there's a good chance it's the anti dive causing the leak. Most people cancel the anti dive, you could get a kit for that on E-BAY. If your going to change the seals, maybe had a few bucks and change the springs.

I couldn't agree more. If everything is apart it would be the best time to install Progressive Springs. I did this when I changed the oil on my Valyrie.

Steve
Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Ontario, Canada
dragon2000

Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie

Postby Red Ron » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:12 pm

dragon2000 wrote:
flash2002 wrote:If youre left seal is leaking there's a good chance it's the anti dive causing the leak. Most people cancel the anti dive, you could get a kit for that on E-BAY. If your going to change the seals, maybe had a few bucks and change the springs.

I couldn't agree more. If everything is apart it would be the best time to install Progressive Springs. I did this when I changed the oil on my Valyrie.

Steve

Many (myself included) drill a 7/32 inch hole in a nickel and place between the two halves of the antidive.
Red Ron

Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby rec45 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:36 am

mosesmcrae wrote:This monotubes fits down in the tube And no longer requires oil in the strut? My top tube is becoming pitted and I think that may be contributing to the leakage.

I have the monotubes in my 07. There is oil in the forks, just not as much as the stock setup. There is still the possibility of a leak.
Ron
2007 ABS
rec45

Motorcycle: 2007 1800 ABS

Postby mosesmcrae » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:14 pm

Thanks for that info about there still being oil. Has anyone found a cure for rust pitted tubes?
mosesmcrae

Postby flash2002 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:26 am

For the pitted tubes, you can always install fork boots. Just grease the tube and slip these on, should work.

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Equipme ... _boots.htm
flash2002

Motorcycle: gold wing 1800

Postby rstoops1 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:21 am

I found a shim on ebay that disables the anti-dive and is supposed to eliminate the problem of blowing the left fork seal. I had to replace the seal on the left fork twice because of sharp impact with chuck holes. Since I installed this shim I haven't had a problem. The price is under $20.00 and installation is simple. The most time consuming part of the job is removing and replacing the plastic to get to the fork.

rstoops1

Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
2001 GL1800A ABS

Next

Return to GL1800 Information & Questions