Auto Tire on the Rear, GL1800

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Defender
Motorcycle: 2006 Concours
2002 Gl1800

Re: Auto Tire on the Rear, GL1800

Post by Defender » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:47 pm

Thanks for the info, my bike had a 55 on it when I bought it but alas, it is worn out, I'm looking for info and appreciate the input. I do like the car tire ride and feel so will probably buy another ct.

823JIM
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing
1978 KZ650 (needs restoring)

Post by 823JIM » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:11 am

Road and Track has positive outlook on the CT debate.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture ... torcycles/
Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)
Jim King

wing rider 2012
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level I Blue/Silver
1998 GL1500 Aspy
1985 Venture Royal 1300
1979 GL1000

Post by wing rider 2012 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:47 pm

Let me start this off by saying that I really don't care what type of tire you install on your bike. A car tire and a motorcycle are fundamentally different and there is a reason for this, riding on 4 wheels and riding on 2 wheels are fundamentally different. I believe that if car tires were the same as motorcycle tires then Honda would install them on their bikes. There is a lot of science that goes into tires, both for cars and motorcycles. Why are motorcycle tires manufactured with a rounded design and car tires manufactured with a flat design? It is due to the, again, fundamental difference between the handling of a motorcycle and that of a car. This difference is noticed more in cornering than on a straight piece of road. The "G" forces exerted on a motorcycle tire in a curve is about 1.5 G's compared to a car in the same curve their tire at 1 G. This is why a car tire can have a more flexible sidewall than a motorcycle. The down force and the side forces exerted on a motorcycle tire in a curve is called "Camber Thrust" this is why a motorcycle tire will have stiffer sidewalls than a car tire. This downward force creates friction and friction creates grip. So, a car tire may be fine for your style of riding, but make sure you use the right equipment for your style of riding.

Here is a good article about this: http://www.genjac.com/BoomerBiker/Two%2 ... hysics.htm
Vietnam Veteran
9th ID, Jan 69 - Oct 70
Member: Military Order of the Purple Heart
Member: Vietnam Veterans of America
Member: GWTA. Chapter A, Grants Pass, Oregon

823JIM
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing
1978 KZ650 (needs restoring)

Post by 823JIM » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:39 pm

wing rider 2012 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:47 pm
----------- A car tire and a motorcycle are fundamentally different ----------- So, a car tire may be fine for your style of riding, but make sure you use the right equipment for your style of riding.

Here is a good article about this: http://www.genjac.com/BoomerBiker/Two%2 ... hysics.htm
The style of riding that us who are using car tires is called "touring", and mostly two up touring, also trailer towing on long trips. I would not at all suggest a CT be used on a sport bike/crotch rocket or road race bike. As I am sure you do not believe the lean angles and G loads are the same with the vast difference of these styles of riding. I do not believe attempting the lean angles you imply in tire loads are either wise or safe in two up riding of a large touring bike such as a Goldwing. So yes, as you stated style of riding makes a large difference in tire choice. But I prefer the better traction and braking, practically on wet roads the car tire offers on a full size touring motorcycle.

And my bike does handle just fine in the curves, last photo is wife and I on Moonshine 28.
Attachments

Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)
Jim King