Auto Tire on the Rear, GL1800

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
diablo454
Motorcycle: 2000 goldwing se

Re: Auto Tire on the Rear, GL1800

Post by diablo454 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:44 pm

I also did a ton of research before I went to the darkside. Seems you get lots of expert advice from people that have never done it..... If you have never really done it....shut up your knowledge,advice,thoughts,i heard,he said she said don't mean **** to me lol. I went with the austone tire from universal tire. I installed 3 oz of dyna beads in the rear a 2 oz in the front Bridgestone excedra. Both are radial tires and I love the combination. The rear tire is approx. 1.5 inch bigger in diameter than the original and it fits perfect, also I'm not looking for that extra gear now when I'm crusing at hwy speeds. 2000 goldwing 1500 the bike runs smooth as silk and you know what....that's a fact :D

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Post by Red Ron » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:39 am

diablo454 wrote:I also did a ton of research before I went to the darkside. Seems you get lots of expert advice from people that have never done it..... If you have never really done it....shut up your knowledge,advice,thoughts,i heard,he said she said don't mean **** to me lol. I went with the austone tire from universal tire. I installed 3 oz of dyna beads in the rear a 2 oz in the front Bridgestone excedra. Both are radial tires and I love the combination. The rear tire is approx. 1.5 inch bigger in diameter than the original and it fits perfect, also I'm not looking for that extra gear now when I'm crusing at hwy speeds. 2000 goldwing 1500 the bike runs smooth as silk and you know what....that's a fact :D
The tires I have used never even needed balancing. Is your bike a 1500 wing and if so, what size austone tire? I have a few friends with 1500's interested in the Darkside but I didn't know what tire to tell them.

nandyman1
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda Goldwing

Post by nandyman1 » Wed May 01, 2013 7:02 am

I've been riding a 195/55-16 Kumho Ecsta RF on my 05 wing for about 20k miles and all is well. This is my 2nd car tire but the next one will be the same the runflat has a thick sidewall similar to my old mc tire. I also use dyna beads in my tires and don't have any issues as the beads balance the wheels 2oz front and 3oz back tires for mine but will depend on the size of the tire. The ride seems better on my daily commute than with mc tire mostly straight with a few curves all good highway. The wing doesn't like gravel or offroad whether having a mc or car tire doesn't matter. I usually run my air pressure around 34 psi. Go Darkside!!!

Big Red 94
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Big Red 94 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:16 am

I am not willing to cross over to running a car tyre. But I did ask on this forum many questions and I always went back to a MC tyre (notice in Australia we spell Tyre the right way ha ha) I have had the bike for 2 years now, and I put Dunlop Elite 3 front and rear, I am about to change the front trye after doing 22K and the rear tyre is in no way near of replacing. 37psi Front and 42 psi rear. The front is a little on the less grippy side even though the edges have lots of tread. But up until about 2 thousand kms ago the tyre showed no unusual movements. I would like to try another brand, not Avon as I have heard to many bad things about them. But overall the Dunlops have been good.

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Post by Fatwing Chris » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:00 am

Since you revived a 2 year old thread I'll weigh in here.I've got the identical bike as your that I've had for 2 summers now.It came with almost new E3's on it and I have to say that I wouldn't put another set on my bike.I was a big fan of the Bias E3's on my previous Wings,but don't like the Radial E3's one bit.The front grip was down right scary at times to me.Rode Darkside all last summer and Double Dark a lot of it.Love this set up and won't go back to a MT.

Check this link if there's any doubt about real world testing.
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthre ... s+darkside

Here's a picture of mine
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

jrfranklin
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100I
1975 Kawasaki z1 900
2007 gl 1800

Post by jrfranklin » Fri May 01, 2015 4:12 pm

I bought an '07 1800 last august. I also went double dark side with Bridgestone BT45, and Bridgrstone run flat on rear. I wished, at first, that I had not purchased an 1800 because the handling was very unstable. When I read some of the post's here, I thought dark side sounded like a very bad mistake. Boy is that wrong. I have some experience with motorcycle tires in the past (in 1984 I sold more Continental tires than any other dealer in the Texas area - LOVED THEM ). There was no suitable Conti for the 1800, so I talked to no less than four different friends ,one who is double dark side, three dark side, and decided to try it. The people who talk the loudest about all of the "problems" with engineering are not totally correct in their assessment of the rim angles, and bead characteristics. I mounted these tires personally and did not do so without a lot of care. The rim width, of the rear wheel is within the spec's called for by Bridgestone on the tire (195/55/16). The bead angle was not measurably different from the stock Dunlop 250 (maybe part of the problem of the worst tires of any brand that I have experienced in 500,000+ miles)? The front end wiggle was terrible - Gone! So far I have ridden stock 3000 miles and double dark side 7000 miles. Results - factory tires worn out in 6200 miles - dark side 7000 miles and look like new. I am happy

gt750
Motorcycle: 2006 Honda GL1800 Goldwing

DON'T DO IT!!!

Post by gt750 » Fri May 01, 2015 7:09 pm

:roll: DON"T DO IT!!!!! Talk to someone who doesn't have anything to really gain from this. People using car tires want credibility more than anything. Most people see them as cheapskates who won't listen to reason.
For me, after seeking advice from people in the tire industry, and the motorcycle industry, I wouldn't put a car tire on a bike. I usually hear "CT Guys" say how they need to change their riding style at the very least. At worst, I know a person who has had two blowouts with car tires! Yes, he did get hurt the second time it blew.

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800
DARKSIDE RIDER

Re: DON'T DO IT!!!

Post by Steve F » Fri May 01, 2015 9:33 pm

gt750 wrote::roll: DON"T DO IT!!!!! Talk to someone who doesn't have anything to really gain from this. People using car tires want credibility more than anything. Most people see them as cheapskates who won't listen to reason.
For me, after seeking advice from people in the tire industry, and the motorcycle industry, I wouldn't put a car tire on a bike. I usually hear "CT Guys" say how they need to change their riding style at the very least. At worst, I know a person who has had two blowouts with car tires! Yes, he did get hurt the second time it blew.
I'm sorry, that's gotta be the biggest bunch of crap I've heard on this forum.....ever! You know a person.....yeah right :roll: :roll: :roll: .
It's your right NOT to use a CT, but you have to PROVE to me that MC tires are blow-out proof before I'll EVER put another one of those KNOWN blow-out prone pieces of under engineered crap on my bike.
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

gt750

Post by gt750 » Fri May 01, 2015 10:55 pm

That's your right too! The guy, who WILL remain nameless, was riding his 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700. It was a big machine w/ fairing and bags, a group of 5 of us was riding to Jasper, Ab.. July 2013, I believe.

Fatwing Chris

Post by Fatwing Chris » Sat May 02, 2015 8:02 am

gt750 wrote:That's your right too! The guy, who WILL remain nameless, was riding his 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700. It was a big machine w/ fairing and bags, a group of 5 of us was riding to Jasper, Ab.. July 2013, I believe.
Check the link that I posted that shows how many miles have been been added up on CT's on an 1800 and then come back and tell us they're dangerous.Your buddies may have been a worn out POS for all we know.I've also read that some guys with Vulcans run a tire that doesn't quite clear the swingarm all the time and it rubs.It's only gonna rub for so long before something happens.

BTW You said he blew 2.What's your story for the other one?
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Fatwing Chris

Post by Fatwing Chris » Sat May 02, 2015 8:04 am

Fatwing Chris wrote:
gt750 wrote:That's your right too! The guy, who WILL remain nameless, was riding his 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700. It was a big machine w/ fairing and bags, a group of 5 of us was riding to Jasper, Ab.. July 2013, I believe.
Check the link that I posted that shows how many miles have been been added up on CT's on an 1800 and then come back and tell us they're dangerous.Actually you should go and read through that thread.It'll be an eye opener for you.Your buddies may have been a worn out POS for all we know.I've also read that some guys with Vulcans run a tire that doesn't quite clear the swingarm all the time and it rubs.It's only gonna rub for so long before something happens.

BTW You said he blew 2.What's your story for the other one?
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

gt750

Post by gt750 » Sat May 02, 2015 1:05 pm

All I know is what I know. I'd suggest to do your own homework on this serious subject. To be honest, I was not with the dude when the first incident happened. Saw the aftermath though. No, he didn't rub the swingarm though. Either time. Have a nice summer of riding!

Fatwing Chris

Post by Fatwing Chris » Sat May 02, 2015 5:18 pm

gt750 wrote:All I know is what I know. I'd suggest to do your own homework on this serious subject. To be honest, I was not with the dude when the first incident happened. Saw the aftermath though. No, he didn't rub the swingarm though. Either time. Have a nice summer of riding!
Believe me I researched this for a couple of years before I went Dark.This is my 6th Wing and the best mod I've done so far.There's lots of guys running CT's on the Vulcans that haven't have any issues either from what I've seen on the Darkside forums..If you don't feel safe running one then don't,but I doubt I'll ever go back.Your choice.

BTW Did you check out the link I posted?Real world testing right there.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

mweddy@gmail.com
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800A, 2013 Honda CRF250L, 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500FI, 2000 Kawasaki Ninja, 2000 Honda XR400, 1985 Honda XL350, 1997 XR200, 1983 XR200, 2003 XR80, 2003 Honda XR70, 2000 Honda XR50

Post by mweddy@gmail.com » Sat May 02, 2015 6:18 pm

I had wanted to try the darkside for many years, and after I only got 7,000 miles out of a $180 Avon Venom that was mounted on the rear of my Vulcan, I decided to try a car tire. I put a 195/60/16 on the three and a half inch wide rim. (mounting was a bit of a challenge). It worked fine, and it still had tread on it when I replaced it at 16,000 miles. The only negative was low speed handling on rough roads. (I ride dirt roads where I live). This was enough to make me not want to do it again, especially on my Phatgirl (Goldwing), who weighs a couple of hundred pounds more than the Vulcan. If I only road on pavement, I would do it again. The slightly slower steering is easy to get used to.

Fatwing Chris

Post by Fatwing Chris » Sun May 03, 2015 9:35 am

I only know how the CT works on my 1800 and the only place where it gets a bit uncomfortable is stopping on broken,uneven pavement.keep in mind that probably 98% of my riding is 2-up as well.That is the only time.I run a bit of gravel road now and then(I hate turning around if I run out of pavement)and find the CT to be better in that situation.As far as the stopping on uneven pavement I know how it's going to react and I compensate.No big deal.Every thing else about the CT is superior to a MT imho.Oh and BTW I didn't got to a CT BECAUSE THEY'RE CHEAP,THAT'S JUST ANOTHER BENEFIT THAT IS WAY DOWN THE LIST OF BENEFITS.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

jrfranklin
1975 Kawasaki z1 900
2007 gl 1800

Post by jrfranklin » Mon May 04, 2015 7:54 pm

One of the problems that seem to get the most attention from naysayers,about car tires on motorcycles, seems to be rim fitment. There is an article, on another post, about design differences of bike and car tires and rims. In my previous post to this thread, I stated that careful comparison was made and these differences were not evident. The bead was actually identical in width and diameter, and so fit the wheel perfectly. The bead is seated at no difference in depth or angle. Another difference was the tendency for uneven road surfaces to tip the bike and require considerable correction, on the operator's part, to control the motorcycle. I took the time to change back to the Dunlop 250 stock tire, and the "tipping effect" was as bad or possibly worse. Before radial tires for bikes, this was not as noticeable as either car or radial bike tires. Perhaps there are not enough older riders to remember when the Arrow tire was a very common tire for Harleys. Maybe they do not remember when almost all law enforcement bikes had car tires. My ex law enforcement electroglyde sure did and that was certainly was a good handling motorcycle. Some of the horror in almost all horror situations is most definitely Ignorance. This is evident by the statements made.

Fatwing Chris

Post by Fatwing Chris » Tue May 05, 2015 5:13 pm

Seems a bit strange that there have been millions of safe miles(check my link) put on 1800 Wings with CT's yet the poor guy with the Vulcan has had not one,but two blow outs.There's got to be more to that story.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

jrfranklin
1975 Kawasaki z1 900
2007 gl 1800

Post by jrfranklin » Wed May 06, 2015 9:28 am

Fatwing Chris wrote:Seems a bit strange that there have been millions of safe miles(check my link) put on 1800 Wings with CT's yet the poor guy with the Vulcan has had not one,but two blow outs.There's got to be more to that story.
May be a troll?

waituntilthebeep
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750
DOUBLE DARK SIDE #1467 on Michelin Primacy and BT45

Post by waituntilthebeep » Wed May 06, 2015 1:25 pm

ernest62 wrote:Has anyone experienced problems getting warrenty work done with a car tire on? I would think Honda would jump at the chance to deny coverage to any rear suspension parts of drive line parts if you installed a CT.
My local Honda dealer installs CT's if you bring them the ones you want installed. Service writer said, "If it's round, rubber and you want to ride on it, we will put it on there."

waituntilthebeep
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750
DOUBLE DARK SIDE #1467 on Michelin Primacy and BT45

Post by waituntilthebeep » Wed May 06, 2015 1:42 pm

I have to say... this topic is one of the hottest hot button topics to resurface from time to time. The adamant against yell about how unsafe they are, how their insurance won't cover an accident if used, how the handling is compromised, how the engineering says that is a stunningly bad idea, and how people are going to crash and burn, then die and be reborn to do it over again... twice. The other camp says that it is the most affordable, the handling is not an issue, that their insurance company says it is a non-issue, how the rims and tires mate up perfectly and how the marketing of Jack and Coke in a pony keg would be the bees knees.

As with everything in the averages, take the top and the bottom and throw them out. Look deeply at the middle ground and make a personally educated decision. Reality is, if you are a casual rider that puts little mileage on your bike, or don't have a financial issue with tossing out a tire every 6000 miles, or are squeemish about personal liability even after hearing that your insurance company could care less, then by all means stick with a moto tire. I have bought moto tires and put them on a bike and wondered what the hell I was thinking buying "that" brand. Don't ask the naysayers, a large portion of them have not tried it. Ask the ones who are out there every day on the CT rubber and ask how many of them have totaled their bike for doing so. You are not asking should I do it because others opinions will sway you. You are asking should I do it because others have been successful with it. Again, the margins don't count.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800 still young at 111,980 miles

Post by AZgl1800 » Sun May 10, 2015 8:15 pm

I just bought my first 1800 last January. It came with brand new E3s on it and thought I was set for a lot of great miles.

I have had two 1500s and ran E3s on them with great success back when I lived in Arizona and only rode on pavement in dry weather.
Arizona has two floods a year, and then it is all gone, never to be seen until next spring :mrgreen:

I did not ride my new to me 1800 very long before I discovered the E3 is not going to stay on this 1800 very long.
Why? If the surface is the slightest bit loose and power is applied, not matter the gear the rear end goes sideways, and I have to let off the throttle to get the bike back in line.

I got caught in a couple of rain storms and it was immediately clear that any application of More Power was dangerous, the rear end went sideways on me again, the last time while trying to get past an 18 wheeler so I did not have to follow his spray.... had to back way off on that and wait until the rain let up, and then I went around him.

Then DaveO430 let me ride his 1800 with a Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP for a few miles. While on that test ride, I found a ball diamond and their parking area looked just like my yard around my home and shop. As I have to ride on grass to get to the highway, I wanted to know the difference with the fatter, flatter rear tire.

I made a circle on that grass with Dave's bike and back to the road. That is all it took, I was convinced right then and there, I will have to take the "dangerous" E3 off and get a "predictable" good rear tire.

I ordered one up and it has arrived. Now I need a dry day to get into my flooded shop and get the bike outside so I can remove the E3 tire/wheel and install the new Michie tire/wheel.

I have watched the forums since 2006 and I have not read one post of a Run Flat having a blowout. That alone is worth the price of admission, and is added insurance to my continued riding w/o a tire incident.
John
'02 Gl1800 Hot Rod Yellow,
daughter named her Big Bird :lol:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com

STLWING
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
Audio-Comfort-Navi

Post by STLWING » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:16 am

Not that I like to contribute to old threads, but I like to offer my thoughts when I have actual experience with the topic. If you take me as a sample size of QTY=1 you would find that there are zero blowouts on Bridgestones, Dunlops and Kumho car tires. I've spent a lot of money on motorcycle tires and the one car tire I bought and had installed was not cheap either. This motorcycling thing is not a cheap activity in my experience so money is not a big motivator. I have an extended warranty on my bake and my dealership has stuck up for me as long as it was related to original equipment. They have done service on my Traxxion suspension equipped Wing with the trailer hitch installed (not by them) without giving me any crap. They do not install car tires but did not complain when they had to take the rear off when doing the brake recall service. Gene's Gallery in Springfield told me they would not do work at the back end of a bike with a car tire on it. That's fine, thanks for the info, I'll take my business elsewhere. I didn't consult with my insurance company but my belief is that any wreck that I am "at fault" for will not be tied to my tire. Warranty concerns: I've changed suspension components, added electrical loads, added a trailer hitch and pull a trailer on a regular basis; A car tire is just another violation of Mother Honda's regulations.
I cautiously switched to a car tire after much research. I have about 3000 miles on it and have road tripped over many roads that I have also traveled with Bridgestone and Dunlop tires and am very pleased with the performance. If I only rode solo I might return to MTs, but I would also return to a different bike. Most of my miles are two up and most of those miles are with a trailer. Rainy cool weather, tar-snake-melting heat, grooved interstates and sketchy two-lanes all seem better on the Kumho. That's just my experience. I hate to hear about anybody going down due to mechanical failure. The engineer in me needs more context before making a decision. And the first rides (solo, two-up, trailering and rain) were all spent with the senses at high alert waiting for any sign of poor performance. Now I'm back to pull down the trailer, hook'er up and go. The only drawback is I'm more confident. That means I'll be going faster on that grooved interstate, passing that semi when that deer runs out in front of me. But hopefully that larger contact patch will slow us fast enough to let Bambi get out of the way. Whatever you choose, maintain it well and enjoy!

frostypop
Motorcycle: Now 2001 GL1800 Goldwing, also I have owned these, 2006 GL1800 Goldwing, 1988 GL1500 Goldwing, 1982 GL1100, 1978 Suzuki 850

Post by frostypop » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:47 pm

well I know this is an old post, but I had put some of my thoughts on this post about car tire on a bike. a year ago when I got back from vacation on my 06 wing I decided I was done riding and foolishly sold it. but this year I bought an 01 with a car tire on the back, and I have to admit it doesn't ride to bad. I have noticed some difference but nothing to concerning for me. it is in need of replacing so I think I am going to try another car tire. right now working on the rear shock it bottoms out way to easy with it all the way up and riding 2 up. I think it is low on oil from what I have read on other post on here. a lot of information on here to look through. I thank all for there input. 8-)

Defender
Motorcycle: 2006 Concours
2002 Gl1800

Post by Defender » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:15 am

I am looking at a a cheap Walmart winter tire 195 65r16. It has what looks like a more rounded tread profile. Will the tire fit? It has a 400 tread depth.

STLWING
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
Audio-Comfort-Navi

Post by STLWING » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:03 pm

Hello Defender. You might find some info on this site. It has lists of what people have tried for CTs on different MCs. Most GL1800 use the 55 section. The 65 will make for a taller tire that may rub in the wheelwell. You will probably get a lot of mileage out of a CT so don't look for the cheapest.
http://darkside.nwff.info/?p=tires