Intercom Headphone Volume Problem

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
shaynejoey
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing Luxury

Intercom Headphone Volume Problem

Postby shaynejoey » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:11 pm

The volume of the passenger talking to me the driver in the driver headphones, is very low compared to the level coming through her headphones when I talk to her.
If I crank the volume up full, I can only just hear her, but it's blowing her ear-drums.
Is there anyway of controlling the volumes separately....an after market product perhaps? Starcom suggested there is a problem with the intercom system as such.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shayne

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: Intercom Headphone Volume Problem

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:57 am

I have a hearing problem. So, I installed a lower cord in my wife's J&M head set that has a volume control. I then set the various audio volumes so I can hear and she turns her volume down so it doesn't blow her ears out.
There are also passenger audio controls available.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:33 am

Are you both using the same type (manufacturer, model) of headsets? If the impedance of the headsets is different, this is exactly what will happen.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:54 pm

As mentioned,. there is an external passenger control that can be plugged in that allows the passenger to transmit the CB and control the volume of the rear passenger headset..

Gary

yechave
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800

Postby yechave » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:39 pm

We are having a similar problem with our J&M headsets. I contacted WingStuff and was told the J&M cord with vol control will not work with our headsets. We would need the control that mounts on the bike. That was around $100 plus the install. Having too many other issues to be concerned with this at the moment.

I had wondered if possibly this was a result of my having to deal with wind noise and she doesn't. For now, I just keep the volume down on the MP3 player.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:39 pm

yechave wrote:We are having a similar problem with our J&M headsets. I contacted WingStuff and was told the J&M cord with vol control will not work with our headsets. We would need the control that mounts on the bike. That was around $100 plus the install. Having too many other issues to be concerned with this at the moment.

I had wondered if possibly this was a result of my having to deal with wind noise and she doesn't. For now, I just keep the volume down on the MP3 player.

Interesting-which model J&M headsets do you have. I was not aware there were any the J&M volume control cord would not work with :!:

yechave
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800

Postby yechave » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:58 am

What I recall of the conversation with the salesperson from WingStuff was, the J&M wired vol control did not work if you had the headset that had just the wire coming out of the helmet. I have not seen the other type. We bought the helmets with the bike. It was a considerable upgrade from the Cardo set we had been using.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:04 pm

yechave wrote:What I recall of the conversation with the salesperson from WingStuff was, the J&M wired vol control did not work if you had the headset that had just the wire coming out of the helmet. I have not seen the other type. We bought the helmets with the bike. It was a considerable upgrade from the Cardo set we had been using.

Right. The cheaper J&M headsets have a wire that plugs directly into the helmet, and ends with a DIN plugs that plugs into the bike's intercom wire:

The more expensive J&M headsets have an upper cord that comes with the headset, that ends in a J&M proprietary "D" plug:

You then purchase the lower cable to plug into whatever motorcycle you own. In our case, you buy a Goldwing lower, that has a "D" plug on one end, and the Goldwing DIN plug on the other:

The J&M volume control replaces the lower cable with one that contains a volume control:

Because the cheaper headsets don't use the "D" plug and lower cable, the volume control can't plug in.

That's not to say that you couldn't use ANOTHER volume control, one that just plugs into the Goldwing DIN plug, instead. This volume controller will work with any Goldwing-compatible headset, regardless of the manufacturer:

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:07 am

We use this one for the passenger, and she says it works just fine.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”