Electrical problems with 06 GL1800

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
yechave
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800

Electrical problems with 06 GL1800

Postby yechave » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:31 pm

Hi,

Have an 2006 we bought in 2010, it had 7500 miles. It needed an alternator at 8K, tranny rebuild at 12k (that was bad when we bought it). Extended warranty has been priceless.

However, I still have an issue with the lights dimming when I pull in the clutch. I had posted about this for nearly a year. Many told me they have owned more than 2 Wings and none of those experienced the lights dimming at all, most had voltage meters. One tech wrote suggesting it may be a fault in the "reverse regulator" located behind the left saddlebag. I also noticed the lights dim just about the same amount when the starter switch is activated using reverse.

I also noticed the lights dim just about the same amount when the starter switch is activated using reverse.To my knowledge this was not checked.

I had a charging system light installed, a new battery a few months ago. The headlights dim significantly when the clutch is pulled in, even at highway speed. Its been doing this since we bought it. Most of the last 16 months was spent trying to get someone that was knowledgeable and interested in tackling the tranny rebuild under warranty.

One other issue is the sound system audio cuts out. It may have something to do with the take down for the tranny rebuild. It did not do this to the best of my knowledge before that. It cuts out when I hit a bump, or just for no reason. Sometimes it cuts out completely and comes back on slowly. Other times it cuts and and comes back on for no reason, slowly and is about half the volume it should be. It stays off for some ten minutes or so. I use an MP3, once in a while the GPS, and those have not been an issue.

Thanks!

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: Electrical problems with 06 GL1800

Postby thrasherg » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:57 pm

It sounds to me like the clutch switch is causing some kind of short circuit which is pulling the volts down.. I would be checking the electrical circuits around the clutch switch for an incorrect connection.

Gary

yechave

Postby yechave » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:15 pm

thrasherg wrote:It sounds to me like the clutch switch is causing some kind of short circuit which is pulling the volts down.. I would be checking the electrical circuits around the clutch switch for an incorrect connection.

Gary

Shall I assume this switch is on the handlebar?

One of the first threads I saw related to the clutch lever, stated there were problems with the boot not covering the piston, and we did have that entire part checked, it was bad, and it was rebuilt. I was told the tech was not aware of any electrical part of the system that affected the lights. The dealership that did most of the work when we first got the Wing, has been very wrong on many of the repairs made to the bike, so I am open to any suggestions at this point. This too had been mentioned when I first started trying to solve this.

The second shop that did the tranny rebuild did not check any part of this for the lights either. However, when I first took this in and a multimeter was connected to the battery, the voltage did drop to below 11.4V when the clutch was pulled in. They felt it was not enough to be the cause of the problem and did nothing further. The last shop felt it may have been the battery, which had been load tested, and we replaced it anyway. That did not solve the problem.

One other issue possibly related to this was, many times I did not have reverse. It was checked, at least one switch was replaced under warranty, and for the first year this would not work time and again, intermittenly. The local dealer said they could not duplicate the problem. When it was time to have it hauled away for six months, I must have tried nearly a dozen times to get reverse to engage to take it out of its parking space. Since the rebuild, I have not had one problem with reverse and no further parts were installed.

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:03 am

The lights are supposed to go out when you hit the starter. That is a function of one of the relays. If they don't go out when starting the bike you have a problem. The clutch on the other hand is a different story; and I don't have a clue but there must a short or something wired wrong.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:29 am

yechave wrote:
thrasherg wrote:It sounds to me like the clutch switch is causing some kind of short circuit which is pulling the volts down.. I would be checking the electrical circuits around the clutch switch for an incorrect connection.

Gary

Shall I assume this switch is on the handlebar?

Yes the switch is on the underside of the clutch lever (mounted on the handlebars). I would try disconnecting the switch and see if the lights still dim, if they don't then the problem is related to the clutch switch circuit. If it still dims with the switch disconnected and you pulling the clutch lever in, then it has to be something else (But I can't think what!!). My first suggestion would be to start the bike as you are currently doing, then pull the clutch lever in and check the lights dim, then disconnect the 2 wires going to the clutch switch and then pull the clutch in and see if the lights still dim. If they don't then we have to give you suggestions on what to check on the clutch/starter circuit. If the lights still dim with the switch disconnected then we have to look for a different problem..

Gary

yechave

Postby yechave » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:45 pm

Thanks for the info. I will try to test that in the next week (have to look to see if I can get at those wires). I know all that was taken apart last year and I do recall seeing the wires on the last part of the install, but no one tested or removed the wires to see if that changed the lights dimming. All tests were performed at the battery with the multimeter.

What exactly is the purpose of the two wires attached to the lever?

I will check back in a week or sooner, if possible. Having problems with the PC at the moment and trying to get that taken care of.

yechave

Postby yechave » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:32 pm

I tested the bike tonight, with and without the wires attached to the clutch lever. Didn't seem to make much difference. It did however make a big difference when the bike was back at idle speed and the brakes were on as well, both with and without the wires attached.

The occasions I did find the lights dimming were on completely dark country roads, no homes and no lines on the road. I would pull in the clutch keeping the rpms around 2500, and the lights dimmed enough it was hard to see the road using high beams.

The other item mentioned that may be a cause is the reverse regulator.

Trying to keep in mind all the other electrical problems the bike has had and still has, plus needing the trans rebuilt at only 8k miles, there have been a lot of issues with this bike.

I am still waiting to get a copy of the info that addresses the lights dimming and their recommended solution.

yechave

Postby yechave » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:28 am

I found the 2 posts after my comment, from Wingdocs with a search on google:
Just a note on testing done with our 06. Battery load test showed no problem with the battery when trying to solve the lights dimming. A second dealer felt it was necessary to replace the battery anyway, as they had no other answer. I had a charging system indicator installed and it does not show any loss of power, unless I am using reverse.

The only car made I am aware of that has a similar issue is the Subaru. They state in the manual that if too many accs are drawing power from the charging system, even at highway speeds, it is enough to discharge the battery while driving. I do believe their lights dim as well when at idle and braking, at least some of the older models. The only reason I continue to try and get an answer to this is, at least eight long time Wing owners have stated they have no loss of voltage and no change in lights when at idle and using brakes.

Again, during the initial tests done at the first Honda shop, the voltage at the battery dropped to 11.4, but they felt it was not often enough and was within specs. This shop also put in writing there was nothing wrong with the transmission after 35 complaints, which was getting extremely dangerous to ride with and I refused to sell this to anyone as it was. It took over a year to find a dealer that was qualified and willing to do the rebuild. It would either constantly jump out of gear at 40 mph, also jumped out of 5th now and then, or start to lock up the rear tire when downshifting.

by virgilmobile » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:50 am

With the engine off,key on,measure the voltage at the 2 battery posts to get a reference.Step on the brake and measure again at the 2 posts.It shouldn't drop only 1/2 volt or so.If it drops a lot more,the battery should be load tested , the ground lug on the frame cleaned , the dog-bone fuse replaced and the 3 yellow wire plug from the alternator modified.

step 2..Start the bike,hold at 2000 rpm,measure the battery voltage after 2 or 3 minutes.It should be somewhere between 12.8-14 volts.If not the charging system needs tending to.
With it still running,step on the brake and look at the voltage.Again it should drop only about 1/2 volt.

The charging system should provide enough voltage AND current to run the bike(10 amp),and enough left over to charge the battery.

If the charging system is weak,or the battery /grounding is bad,the voltage will drop causing dim lights.

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:05 pm

When you hit your brakes, the brake lights draw 4.5 amps, or 54 watts to light up. When your bike has a limited amount of power to begin with, that's not an insignificant amount. Your headlight itself uses 55 watts on low beam, so think of it as switching on a second headlight. If your bike is at low RPM, it means it is not generating enough power to run the bike and charge the battery - so the battery is being drained to run the bike. Switching the brake lights on puts an added draw on the battery, so the available voltage drops, which means everything else dims a bit. How much the voltage drops is going to be a function of the overall health and charge state of your battery, as well as the condition of various electrical connections.

yechave

Postby yechave » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:26 pm

Yes the switch is on the underside of the clutch lever (mounted on the handlebars). I would try disconnecting the switch and see if the lights still dim, if they don't then the problem is related to the clutch switch circuit.

Seems I may be at this point. I have disconnected the switch and did not see any difference. Looking for more info while I wait for the publication that suggests a company has an answer to this problem.

Thanks!

yechave

Postby yechave » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:22 pm

I contacted Honda USA and was told today, the lights are not supposed to dim. I was considering the battery capacitor for $50, but I do not want to mask the symptom just yet.

I also noticed the engine is "hunting" coming down to idle. That does not seem to me like it should be doing that. I do use Sea Foam. Add to that the second alternator in less than 15k miles looks like it is going to need to be replaced under warranty. One other dealer I called said they never heard of these kinds of problems with a Gold Wing. This is entirely stock, no other accessories other than the 12V D/C inside the left cover, installed by the dealer and never been used.

The audio cutting out may be a result a bad connection after the tranny rebuild.

The passenger heater control was replaced yesterday under warranty, that was frozen in place. It was used for two days a year ago.

I have little access to the PC, as its been worked on going on two weeks by an online PC company trying to remove viruses and a "rootkit" infection. Stil can't open e-mails.

wayne ian
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800 2006 suzuki C50ct

Postby wayne ian » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:17 pm

I feel for you. I know electrical faults can drive you mad. If your still at it , might I suggest you get a wire diagram, a good multimeter and a good friend. Set the bike up and go through the entire harness. Check every connection at every switch and every device, check and clean every ground, visually inspect the entire harness. This may sound daunting but it may be the only way to solve your problem, as you have several faults, all electrical but different.,

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”