What is the spec for Idle RPM's?

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
yechave
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800

What is the spec for Idle RPM's?

Postby yechave » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:58 am

Bike is in the shop as is my manual. I have it there for idle hunting with RPM's as low as 500 with the analog tach on the bike. My call to Honda USA said that was not normal. Dealer said they called the tech line today and they said it is. When I asked what is the normal RPM at idle, the person I spoke to could not provide that info. I did the ECW reset before it went to the shop, that did not change the values. New battery was installed this year as was a charging indicator light.

A new alternator was installed last year at about 8500 miles due to excessive noise with no drop in voltage. However, when pulled you could barely rotate the shaft on the alternator. Now making a great deal of noise again with the new alternator at just under 15k miles. And, the lights dim. Honda USA told me that is not normal. Dealer states it is.. I think what I need is a three way call to get the story straight.

yechave

Re: What is the spec for Idle RPM's?

Postby yechave » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:30 pm

From HONDA USA:

700 +/- 70 RPM's. Same info I posted the other day.

eddard49
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800

Postby eddard49 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:34 pm

Yup, 700 RPM or so.

I gotta ask, when you did the ECM reset, did you start it cold, then let it idle without touching the throttle until the fans cycled?

If the throttle is moved at all, or the engine is not brought to full operating temperature, the procedure has to be repeated.

And, what is a charging indicator light. Neither of my 1800's had one.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:31 am

You need to get the Honda USA rep you have been talking to to call your dealership tech. There are obviously some discrepencies. It actually sounds (without much information here) like your alternator could be lunched again. (or a regulator, or diodes, or a battery) This could present as a hunting if the alternator kept kicking in and out and was difficult to turn.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

yechave

Postby yechave » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:58 am

You need to get the Honda USA rep you have been talking to to call your dealership tech. There are obviously some discrepancies.

Did that. The rep I had talked to the spec person for the Wings and was told the problems I am having are not normal. The dealer on the other hand is telling them something else and along with their discussion with Honda, comes up with everything is normal. As far as I know, the tech did not take the bike for a test ride, as I requested.

The guy that wrote up the complaint was right there when the idle went to 550, parked in their lot. He also was told by my rep these items are not normal. Not much more I can do than that and will be trying another dealer this coming month.

I can't sever all my ties with this shop, no matter how bad they have been at diagnosing issues we have had. The tranny being the biggest. They also said there was nothing wrong with the first alternator. Just can't take some people at their word.

When I figure out how to fix this, I will post how it was done. For now, it is time to get some miles on this Wing.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”