Connecting After Market Light (Advice)

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
gapatriot
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing CSC Trike

Connecting After Market Light (Advice)

Postby gapatriot » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:48 am

I'm new to the site. It appears to have a good access to manuals which is good. However, this post is about lighting.

After having my 2003 Goldwing triked with a CSC kit, I noticed a failure of some of the LED lights on the CSC light bar. Changed the light bar and everything seemed ok except the left side was brighter than the right. A year and a half after the mod, I suddenly lost all instruments, tail lights went dark, saddle bag lights out, cruise control and turn signal cancel failed, and idle control stopped working.

I found a mechanic in Fayetteville, GA that is excellent with electricity. He found the after-market saddle bag light and rotor cover marker lights were spliced into computer wires feeding other components. Lights requiring 12 volts was being feed by lower voltages and feed back into the computer affected other components. Over time, this caused over-heating of wire bundles and melted several wires feeding components.

This mechanic researched through the manuals on this wed site, pulled and separated wires, and replaced fried wires. The trike is now performing like it should.

You might ask why I didn't take it back to the installer? Well, I now live in GA; the installer is in MN.

The long and short of this story is, make sure the after-market accessories are wired properly. Do not piggy-back computer-fed wiring.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Connecting After Market Light (Advice)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:37 pm

Wow. I think I would be going after the original installer for that.

Glad you got it up and running again though, and without permanent damage ($$$) to the computers.

gapatriot
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing CSC Trike

Postby gapatriot » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:45 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Wow. I think I would be going after the original installer for that.

Glad you got it up and running again though, and without permanent damage ($$$) to the computers.

You are thinking like I have already. I've sent a copy of the statement that has a narrative of the work completed. By the way, anybody know the the price of a computer? I am thankful it didn't short out the computer.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:16 am

Depends on which one, but a quick look online and I found a listing for three of the 2003 computers for $75, $193 and $520. Expensive!

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”