Techs say its OK, will continue looking for answers

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
yechave
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800

Techs say its OK, will continue looking for answers

Postby yechave » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:43 am

Nothing has changed with the combination idle hunting (dips just below 500), lights dimming at idle, loud alternator and the computer display having gone black once as well as the sound dropping off every once in a while. Since it does not stall, two shop techs have now said that is normal. I don't buy it.

I used a high concentration of Sea foam and high rpm use for nearly 150 miles did not make any difference. Good news is there is no flat spot many seem to complain about.

I did get a Honda shop manual which will provide a great deal of info when I have time to study it.

dabalso
Motorcycle: honda 2003 goldwing gl1800

Re: Techs say its OK, will continue looking for answers

Postby dabalso » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:14 pm

How many miles? Sounds like you hae altinator problems..... possibile dirty bursh holders or bearings going out.

yechave

Postby yechave » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:53 pm

Just turned 15K miles. The first alternator was replaced by Honda at 7500 miles one year ago. This is now louder than that one was, and there was no other indication it was bad, until it was pulled and you could barely turn the shaft on that one. I have tried the two local dealers now, both say the lights dimming and idle are normal.... I just don't buy it.

RexAubrey
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I GoldWing Interstate (Black)
1982 GL1100A GoldWing Aspencade (Maroon)
1981 Yamaha XJ550H Maxim (Black)
1979 Yamaha XS650SF Special (Black)

Postby RexAubrey » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:22 pm

sounds like your techs graduated from a Microsoft customer service school....."That is normal, I know it is not mentioned in the manual, it is an undocumented feature. :?
Rex
1983 GoldWing Interstate, 1982 GoldWing Aspencade, 1981 Yamaha 550 Maxim, 1979 Yamaha 650 Special

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:19 am

Well, you are likely out of warrantee by now, but if you really think it might be the alternator again, then the trick would be to replace it and see if the problems go away. A dragging alternator can indeed cause your symptoms - in any vehicle. If you can actually do the work yourself, then it might be worth it for the cost of an alternator.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

yechave

Postby yechave » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:51 am

There are two years of warranty left. However, that means I need a Honda Tech to agree with the diagnosis and they need to do the work. The local shop that did the alternator replacement, did not agree the first time around and stated I did not know how to shift and refused to deal with the faulty trans as well. They even put in writihng there was nothing wrong with the bike.

I agree in that it seems most logical action given the history of the bike. I need to find some local riders to see how their bikes sound and act and go from there. It seems to be gettiong worse so I will continue to put some miles on it and see what happens.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:57 am

Perhaps you need to escalate the problem up the ladder. I understand Honda customer service thinks that the customer should be kept happy, if at all possible.

ImageImage

yechave

Postby yechave » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:31 am

I've been at this for two years this month. Been in contact with Honda regularly. They say there is nothing they can do if the dealers do not feel there is a problem.

In the past, the answer was to go out of the area to another dealer. The previous repairs cost $700 for an improper tow which damaged the forks. I spent well over a year trying to get the tranny rebuilt.

With two years left, I feel pretty confident something in this series of problems will get bad enough the bike will probably not run. This past week is the first the idle has dropped under 500 rpm's. See what happens as the temps drop.

I have one person at Honda that I speak to that has helped. The rest have either done very little or stated "they all do that" and do nothing more. The last info I felt good about was being told the idle should not hunt and the lights should not dim.

If this had been a lexus, they darn sure would do whatever necessary to make sure the repairs were done to the customers satisfaction.

I have seen way too many Wing owners not get their tranny fixed and end up living with it. Just glad that was repaired.

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:05 am

If you do decide to try to replace the alternator again and warranty will not help, I can tell you how to take it out without having to remove the top shelter, gas tank, or rear wheel. I think alternators for 1800's can be had on fleabay for about $180.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:23 pm

Red Ron wrote:If you do decide to try to replace the alternator again and warranty will not help, I can tell you how to take it out without having to remove the top shelter, gas tank, or rear wheel. I think alternators for 1800's can be had on fleabay for about $180.

Hey Ron;

Why don't you write that up as a DIY how to, and have WingAdmin put it up as a sticky... I am sure all the GL1800 owners would like to know this. I know, I would.

ImageImage

Red Ron
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:30 pm

First of all, I can't take credit for this because Techdude2000 over on the gl1800riders.com board sent me a link to it. I will try to find the link and post it (it has pictures). But, it is really quite simple. First of all remove the green connector and the cable that comes from the battery to the terminal on the alternator. The alternator has 3 bolts. 2 of them are easy to get to. The 3rd is why Honda service manual says to remove the top shelter, gas tank, blah, blah,. Some have removed this 3rd bolt after removing the back wheel and and linking together several ratchet extensions or one long one to get to the 3rd bolt. What I did was to use what I call a 3/8" socket cheater bar. You can attach sockets to it but it doesen't ratchet. The head of it is smaller which is the key. Put a 3" extension on it then a 12 mm (one that has more points is better) socket. You will be able to thread it through to the bolt and loosen it. Then I used a magnet that has a telescopic handle on it to loosen the bolt the rest of the way and pull it out. Then I used a file to carve notches in the bolt so you can use a long flathead to thread it back in if the magnet don't work so well. I set the bolt back in the hole on the alternator and let it hang there while I carefully set the alternator back in place so I wouldn't have to use the magnet and long screwdriver to guide it into place. After you use the magnet or screwdriver and notches you carved, or both and get the bolt snug use the same assembly you used to break it loose to finish it off. I would guess you just saved several expensive hours of labor at the dealer. Again I can't tgake credit and will try to post the link later.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:51 am

Red Ron wrote:First of all, I can't take credit for this because Techdude2000 over on the gl1800riders.com board sent me a link to it. I will try to find the link and post it (it has pictures). But, it is really quite simple.

Already that is a fairly good explanation. The link would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Ron

Viking

ImageImage

Red Ron
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:48 am

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:19 pm

Sorry to tell you, but the link does not work. There is stuff cut out of the middle, so it gets a 404 Error. What you might try is putting the link between this

[...code] *[/code...]

without the periods, and place the link where the asterisk is.

ImageImage

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”