License plate holder with leds, installing-lite w/brake lits

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
1CheeseLouise
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800

License plate holder with leds, installing-lite w/brake lits

Postby 1CheeseLouise » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:55 pm

I want to install a license plate holder with led lights. This I want to connect to the brake lights and have at least some of them flash. What is the best way to hook this up? Clip onto the red-green and the green wires from the left brake light at the saddle bag? Then drill two holes to get to the plate holder? Any advice for a flasher unit?

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Re: License plate holder with leds, installing-lite w/brake

Postby HALBUDD » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:35 pm

Just put one on my 96 pulled wires thru bottom of trunk right at upper break lights,easy to get to wires and put three way splicers on. Mine does not flash but will get brighter when you apply the breaks. Also installed led lights in top trunk break lights they will flash when you put on breaks 20.00 bucks on e-bay and they will fit the same as the old bulbs easy!! Good luck Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: License plate holder with leds, installing-lite w/brake

Postby themainviking » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:25 am

1CheeseLouise wrote:I want to install a license plate holder with led lights. This I want to connect to the brake lights and have at least some of them flash. What is the best way to hook this up? Clip onto the red-green and the green wires from the left brake light at the saddle bag? Then drill two holes to get to the plate holder? Any advice for a flasher unit?

Your very best bet would be to buy the Kuryakin light harnesses. That way you do not need to cut and join or splice into any wires on your bike. But the choice is yours. The Kuryakin deals make it all plug and play, and you can add an awful lot of lights that way. I have an acquaintance here who has over 4000 leds all connected in with the Kuryakin packages, and no wiring or grounding problems at all.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”