The End of the CF Carded GPS NAVI Saga

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

The End of the CF Carded GPS NAVI Saga

Postby themainviking » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:54 am

We are now at the end of this whole saga. Garmin has released their update to allow CF carded Goldwing NAVI units to use NT maps. This update was released this month, early October, 2011, and I ordered one for $95 + $8 shipping + $5.50 that I do not know what it was for. Keep in mind that they will send it UPS even if you request USPS, and to Canada, that means an additional $46 will be collected by UPS for taxes ($13) and their brokerage fees ($33). It works fine for NT maps, but their included map was March 2010, which is still dated. I have managed to unlock mapping from the "City Navigator North America NT 2012.20" and my GPS is now running on the maps that were released in August of 2011.

This is about as updated as I can possibly get, and the indication is that we shall continue to be able to use NT map upgrades into the foreseeable future. We have achieved success, fellow NAVI owners.

Updating the NAVI units on both a 2008 and a 2009 CDN version bike was a bit intricate, as the units had to be taken apart to the point where the reset was visible. Then the reset had to be held down while the updating steps were taking place. It takes two people to do it easily, or one guy with really good manual dexterity. It is, however very do-able and Garmin technical assist actually helped, lol..... :lol:

I will write up an instructional for NAVI units that prove stubborn. *** DONE *** see next post in line.

Last edited by themainviking on Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

themainviking

Re: The End of the CF Carded GPS NAVI Saga

Postby themainviking » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:34 am

Here we go with the instructions:

First we have Garmins instructions, that with any luck will do the trick for you:

http://www8.garmin.com/products/honda/2 ... ftware.pdf

If this doesn't work for you, and you call the Garmin help line, they will instruct you to do the following, but not clearly. Here you can find the instructions so you can c/p and print them, and take them to the bike with you.

Instructions for Stubborn 2006-2008 U.S. and 2006-2010 Cdn CF carded NAVI units:

If the instructions from Garmin will not update your NAVI CF carded unit, then there are some further steps that you can take. These steps are best accomplished by two people.

1. Remove the screws from the trunk unit, so that you can open up the plastic cover. There are four screws holding the plastic cover to the trunk front wall, and for the two lower ones you will need a shorter screwdriver (Philips head)

2. Open the plastic cover to expose the NAVI unit. Look closely at the top edge of the unit, to find a tiny hole. This is the reset, and it needs an object the size of a paper clip to press it.

3. Partially insert the CF card with the update on it into the slot in the GPS unit, but do not press it home. Using a paper clip or like item, test press the reset button so you can see what pressure it takes – not much.

4. While pressing the reset button, have someone turn the ignition switch to ACC position, and read what the display says. It should say “holding”. At this time, while continuing to hold the reset button in, finish inserting the CF card with the update on it.

5. The display should go to “loader” and then to “updating from card”. At this time, you can release the reset button, and allow the unit to update.

6. Turn the ignition to the off position. If you had purchased the Garmin version of this update, when you next go to use your NAVI, you can check the version and map information by pressing the ENT button when asked to, and going to the screen for INFO/SYSTEM. It should show that your version is 4.50 and your mapping should be City Navigator North America NT 2011.7 March 2010. If you have more a more recent update than the Garmin one, then you should still show Version 4.50, but the mapping will probably say “City Navigator North America NT 2012.20 October 2011”, as mine does.

ImageImage

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:00 am

Glad to hear that this problem has been somewhat resolved. Although not an 1800 owner, one thing I learned form this is - never buy a vehicle with on-board GPS. Much cheaper to use an external unit.

The other thing I already knew - UPS to Canada is a rip off!!!
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:26 am

cbx4evr wrote:Glad to hear that this problem has been somewhat resolved. Although not an 1800 owner, one thing I learned form this is - never buy a vehicle with on-board GPS. Much cheaper to use an external unit.

The other thing I already knew - UPS to Canada is a rip off!!!

Both statements, in my not so humble opinion, are correct. The thing with the Garmin update tho, is I specifically requested and had confirmed that they would send it USPS, and then it came UPS. I could have refused it, but chances are Garmin would not have refunded my money, nor accepted another order from me, nor sent the next order through the post office, if they did accept another one. So, I just paid for it and be done with them. I tho, am a lot easier to deal with than they are. At least for Canadians..... :lol:

ImageImage

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:56 am

cbx4evr wrote:The other thing I already knew - UPS to Canada is a rip off!!!

I have lots of friends and family in Canada who use me as a "clearing house". :) If they have to use UPS, they'll ship to my house here in Ohio, and I'll turn around and ship via USPS to Canada. Even with the extra postage, it's usually far less than the extortion fees UPS charges Canadians.

frostypop
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Postby frostypop » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:49 pm

is this payment for the updated card a lifetime event or do you have to pay through the nose every couple of years to update again? 8-)

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:29 pm

frostypop wrote:is this payment for the updated card a lifetime event or do you have to pay through the nose every couple of years to update again? 8-)

Yeah, I checked with Garmin, and their lifetime update cards are not advertised to work with these NAVI units, so they would expect you to pay every time you want an updated CF card with new maps on it.

ImageImage

LouG
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing

Postby LouG » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:58 pm

The CF cards are back-ordered up to 5 weeks. The Garmin website was screwed up and didn't even list the CF card. They admit the error. I was directed to order the CF card through the OEM contact at Garmin, and I did so.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:42 pm

Well, again with the backordered cards. They are so simple to make that it is unbelievable that Garmin would have backorders. They buy a $10 CF card (except that they buy them by the case, so probably get them for $6) and load the files onto them, which takes about a half hour, and sell them for $95. If they have fifty card readers, they can do 50 cards every half hour. Makes one wonder where these people get their organizational skills. Well, we do all have to accept that the Honda GPS updates are not the main thing Garmin has on their plates.

ImageImage

kcburgess
Motorcycle: 2007 Goldwing Nav Lehmann Trike
1993 Goldwing Aspencade

Postby kcburgess » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:49 pm

I too upgraded my 07 and payed Garmin the $148.00 with shipping. Garmin will not release this update to your local Garmin dealer either. You can buy from them or the Honda dealer network, who wants $358.00 for the card, and dealers wonder why we look online for our parts!
Old age is when you are told to slow down by a doctor instead of a policeman!

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:16 am

Another final end of the CF card saga post ..... As Garmin's Version 4.50 firmware update, released in October 2011, caused a POI search to lock up the system, they stopped production and sales. Then in mid February 2012, they came out with Version 4.60 which corrected this. So, the new version 4.60 updates all non US and also CF carded US bikes to use NT maps, and includes mapping information current as of March 2011. It is also available in a different card format to update the 2009 and 2010 SD carded US bikes, and I sorta kinda think that the 2012 could be updated with the same SD cards as this.

For the 2012 though, I think that you would only gain a few months of map info and that would be about it. If you are not above reloading information on your cards, you can get your map info current. I am using map info that was released in February 2012. This information is still several years old, considering that Navteq collects the information and then collates it, and sells it to the GPS manufacturers, all of which takes time, so a two year lag in the time the info is collected to the time it is available is probably the norm.

Anyway, the Version 4.60 update is working as it should, in my bike, and so are the 2012 maps.

ImageImage

Juanki
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby Juanki » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:26 pm

Hi Themainviking!
Asking for some help for an european navi upgrade.
I own an european GL 1800 '08 Navi CF carded and glad to read your sentence "the new version 4.60 updates all non US and also CF carded US bikes to use NT maps".
Can I ask you where did you get this information? Until the point I know EU and USA navi use different versions of firmware. Some days ago I ordered the new CF card with firmware and maps upgrade to my dealer in Spain. When I asked the prize, the guy showed me a fooled face telling me "1350 €". Yes, one thousand three hundred and fifty euros! Must be a mistake, probably the first "1" is wrong so they are finding out. If your info is real, I´d rather to buy the upgrade in Garmin´s web page and get new european maps by myself.
Any info about european navi units upgrade will be very very welcome. Here in Europe we are a little bit abandoned with this issue.
Thanks in advance and have a safe ride

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:11 pm

Juanki wrote:Hi Themainviking!
Asking for some help for an european navi upgrade.

Check your Private mail.

ImageImage

Juanki
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby Juanki » Tue May 01, 2012 8:41 am

Thanks to Themainviking directions I have my european navi firmware (originally V. 2.30) upgraded to version 4.60. Now the unit is able to read european Nt maps. Actually it is running European 2012.40 NT maps and verbal guidance stays in spanish but menu is in English (no problems with that). The main problem I found after the upgrade is POI search by name is missing (keyboard grayed the same way USA units do). I´ve read in this forum it doesn´t happen with 2011.10 USA maps provided together with the upgrade. Just for general info: I installed my original CF card with European V8.00 non NT maps and POI search by name comes to live again but is missed again when I install Europe 2012.40 NT card.
Again, many thanks to Themainviking and all others helping and investigating with this issue.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Tue May 01, 2012 9:17 am

Juanki wrote:Many thanks to Themainviking and all others helping and investigating with this issue.

I am happy I was able to help. Enjoy Good Riding.....

Viking

ImageImage

gto49
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800 Black Navi/Comfort

Postby gto49 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:12 am

Hold on there, pard! Not so fast!! I'm not so sure that we're at the end of the "Saga!"

I have an '06 GL1800 Navi/Comfort. The past couple of days have been spent updating stuff. The firmware updated yesterday to 4.70 with no issues. The maps...well, that's a different story.

I have the CN NT 2013.30 set on my iMac so I created an IMG file with Garmin Mapinstall and loaded it on a blank CF card. I have an unlock code for it, but as I was reminded on another board, that code is good for one unit only, and it's not for the Wing. So I when I tried to use it on the Wing, it wouldn't load (Locked map). So I found a tool to unlock the map and I now have it on my Wing. The previous map I was using was from 2008, so I'm fairly happy... the map now is just over a year old (as Garmin reminds me...).

This all started after I tried to order a new update from Garmin directly, only because I live over an hour away from the nearest Honda dealer who is supposed have this update available (not). On Garmin's Goldwing update page, one can only order the card if you are in the US. There is no shipping offered to Canada! So, said I, no problem. I'll just have it sent to my friends in ND - we are going through there in a couple of weeks anyway and I'll update everything then. So I ordered a card, used my Visa with a Canadian billing address, and requested the card be shipped to the North Dakota address. All for a measly price of $95USD + shipping!

Not so fast, says Garmin! In an email I get the next day, Garmin says there is a problem with my order... billing addy in Canada and shipping to a US address... so I need to fill out a FRM362, a "Routed Transaction Acknowledgement Form." Garmin wants to make sure that I'm aware of my responsibilities when "exporting" their product to another country (where I live, in Canada). The form is quite intimidating, saying that the exporter must file the "EEI" (Electronic Export Information) about the product being exported, and on and on. Anyhow, that forced me to look further, and I found a couple of suppliers in Canada that sell the product (which I wasn't aware of at the time I ordered the update from Garmin) at a measly price of $115CAN + tax + shipping. Now, that is almost half the price of a new nuvi with LMT! Anyhow, I cancelled my Garmin order, and proceeded to find out how to update the darn thing myself...

So I'm scanning the internet for info on how to accomplish this, and found enough to get me this far... FW @ 4.70 (latest) and 2013.30 NT maps on my GW (of course, with no POI search).

I'm still looking for newer maps though. I found one source for the 2015.10 NT maps (unlocked) and tried it on the Wing. When unzipped, it's 2.33 GB in size so it won't fit on a 2GB card. I used a 4GB CF card, and it seemed to load OK on the Wing but when it loaded (to 100% with no notifications to the contrary), there was no map street level detail even zoomed in all the way, and nothing in the INFO/SYSTEM on the bike. So I put the other card in with the year old map... :(. I'm still fairly happy though...I'm this far with only time being my cost.

So that's where I'm at now. Looking for anything newer than what I have. At a reasonable cost -- I have a nuvi with LMT... and I find that cost (free) to update 4x per year reasonable!

So, the saga continues.

I sent off a letter to Garmin saying that Garmin has a higher responsibility to Goldwing owners to supply updated maps on a more frequent basis and at a reasonable cost, and not to worry about what "end-users" are doing when crossing the border into their home country when "exporting" their products. By not doing so (supplying frequent up-to-date updates), they are creating unnecessary risks for riders and co-riders. That to me is a more responsible approach to motorcycle navigation...and to Goldwing/navi owners in particular.
"Black Beauty" 2006 GL1800 Navi/Comfort

JerriEric
Motorcycle: GL1800 '06

Postby JerriEric » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:05 pm

I'm not concerned with having the most recent maps. How many new roads that you may travel open since 2010 or later? What I hate is my '06 unit cannot program a trip from Maine to Sturgis SD because it gets insufficient memory errors. I have to break a long trip into at least 2 which sucks since I want to see the mileage for the entire trip on one route. I have contacted Garmin several times with no resolution. I would even buy a new unit if it would function on my '06. Went to the Honda dealer and they did not know is an SD unit would work on an '06 and neither did HONDA.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:19 pm

gto49 - if you wish to have more up to date maps, you will have to obtain the most up to date CNNANT cds or copy of same and make your own maps, eliminating all of the areas that you will not travel to - ever - to get the map size below 2GB in size. This will then load into your unit and give street level mapping. However, my suggestion, if you want a really accurate and user friendly GPS is to buy the newest Zumo and use it instead, as the OEM unit in our Wings is not very useful without jumping through hoops, which means either modding the unit to turn on when you are moving, or remembering to turn it on and program your route before you start out. I study maps before leaving on trips anyway, so I am sort of happy with my Navi.

JerriEric - the newer SD carded units would be extremely expensive to put into your wing, even if you could, which I sincerely doubt. Honda knows little about them and Garmin, who probably do know quite a bit, refuse to get involved.

ImageImage

JerriEric
Motorcycle: GL1800 '06

Postby JerriEric » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:23 pm

I don't use the GPS often. Used it several times when lost. Sorry, but I like the built in feature. I don't want to stick another gadget on the handlebars. Just me, I would be perfectly content with what I have if I did not get not enough memory errors.

wkwinger
Motorcycle: 2010 GL800 Goldwing

Postby wkwinger » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:43 pm

Thanks for this information guys!! It was a great assistance in updating my GL1800 2010 GPS to 2013 Navigation maps and the garmin software to 4.7 which I had to download separately. If I had not had your information I would have given up in frustration. The tiny reset hole was critical for the garmin update.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:08 pm

wkwinger wrote:The tiny reset hole was critical for the garmin update.

Only for Canadian version bikes, and if you had done the second version of 4.6, you would not have had any problems, and I would expect, if another firmware comes out, you won't need to reset while loading, although I do not have 4.7, so it may also require the ole paperclip.

ImageImage

jinx
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800

Postby jinx » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:00 pm

gto49

Are you saying that the gl read your 4gb card and said the map loaded ?
If that is true that would be great. The new mapsets are larger than 2gb and I would love to load
them full size for my travels.

If you do some reading you will find out how to unlock the newest mapset for the wing. I don't mean to be encryptic
about unlocking the maps but I'm on a long road trip and wont be accessing the internet again for a couple more weeks.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:49 pm

I have now updated my firmware to 4.7 and did not need to hold the reset while doing so, so no paperclips required to go from 4.5 up. I now have 2015.10 june 2014 maps in and they are working just fine. Thank you JerriEric for 4.7.

ImageImage

evildoctor
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800

Postby evildoctor » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:24 pm

themainviking wrote:I have now updated my firmware to 4.7 and did not need to hold the reset while doing so, so no paperclips required to go from 4.5 up. I now have 2015.10 june 2014 maps in and they are working just fine. Thank you JerriEric for 4.7.

I bought a pristine 2010 GL1800 last year after I crashed my '06 Wing. Not until I rode it this spring did i find out that the bike had the CF card as I had thought all post 2010 Wings had SD cards (except for us lucky Canadians). I use a Zumo 550 for routes and directions but I find the large screen Wing nav very useful in conjunction with the Zumo. I have been looking for an update for the last several months. I refuse to buy the card from Honda Canada for some $300 + and end up with an overpriced and likely outdated update. In fact I called Honda Canada and spoke to some arrogant rep who basically told me to take a hike when I said that it was fundamentally unfair that Canadian 2010 Wing owners not only were stuck with an older generation GPS but had to suffer the additional indignity of paying several times the price that those with the SD cards pay when ordering from Garmin. When I told this guy that I'd like to speak to his superior he said that this was not possible. Bottom line--great products but Honda Canada is arrogant and unyielding. In any case I finally stumbled upon this thread and I'm wondering if your work around would work on my '10 Wing. Could you kindly tell me exactly what you did and where you found the 4.70 firmware (assuming that such would work on a 2010 Wing)?

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:03 pm

themainviking wrote:I have now updated my firmware to 4.7 and did not need to hold the reset while doing so, so no paperclips required to go from 4.5 up. I now have 2015.10 june 2014 maps in and they are working just fine. Thank you JerriEric for 4.7.

Further to my last post, I do get the same error you got JerriEric with Firmware 4.7. I am thinking of trying to return to 4.6.

ImageImage

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”