Removed Windshield-Dropped nut on left side

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
LouG
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing

Removed Windshield-Dropped nut on left side

Postby LouG » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:35 pm

I just bought a used 2008 Goldwing. The windshield is scratched badly and needs replacement. I have the new replacement windshield and I would like the instructions for removing it.

Everything was going fine installing the new windshield until I dropped the nut from the left lever that raises and lowers the windshield. It sounded like it landed behind the radiator core on the left side. Is there a way to remove the storage compartment on the left? I might be able to find the nut in that cavity, if it comes out.

LouG

Private message hanks

Last edited by LouG on Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

gareva1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Re: Remove Windshield

Postby gareva1 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:21 pm

Here are two sites that describe it with pics; I happen to like the first one better than the second one:

http://www.f4customs.com/media/Install_ ... ns_pg4.pdf

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1800garnish.htm

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Remove Windshield

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:59 pm

Click on "download manuals" above here and you can download the entire GL1800 service manual that will have the instructions in it for you.

gareva1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Re: Removed Windshield-Dropped nut on left side

Postby gareva1 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:24 pm

Sorry, just found that you edited your original message; I don't get a notification when you edit, only when you reply...might be a better idea in the future to reply to your own thread instead of modifying the OP...

Anyway, you can indeed remove the left storage container (its referred to as the "left pocket"), and here's how:

There are four push-pins under the door around the corners of the pocket; push the center of these with a pen or probe, and they will release and allow you to remove them. Once you do that, the pocket pulls right out, assuming you don't have any extra wires in it like an aux audio cable or a cig lighter outlet...you can then try to go in with a magnet on a stick and find it, but I wouldn't bet on your success...its a real pita to recover pieces that fall into the bike without removing extensive plastic...I'd give it a go (what do you have to lose?), and if you cant get it, buy a new nut, and get the old one when you change the air filter if its still around.

LouG

Re: Removed Windshield-Dropped nut on left side

Postby LouG » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:07 pm

Thanks for the reply. I called the dealer, who explained it as you did and I did remove the storage box. I looked for hours trying to find that nut but I believe it dematerialized and is now on Mars. I was attempting to put a second nut on and guess what, yes, I dropped that one too but this time because the storage container was out, it was laying right in front of me. I decided there has to be a better way and I looked through my tools for a solution. I came up with a hemostat that enabled me to lock the nut in its jaws, which left my other hand free to push up the bolt, so that I could get the nut started. Worked great and again, thanks much for the advice.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”