Intercom/radios will not work thru headset

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Marcomalo
Motorcycle: 2001 gl1800

Intercom/radios will not work thru headset

Postby Marcomalo » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:42 am

I am putting a cb radio on my recently aquired 2001 gl1800 and it seems to work okay thru the external speakers, I cannot get anything to work thru the helmet headsets. A knowledgeable friend says that Honda had a problem with the am/fm radio thru which all the comms work and I might need to get this serviced and repaired. A couple of questions here for somebody who has maybe been thru this:

1. Does this sound like the first option, i.e. repair of am/fm set?
2. If so, where would be a good source for getting this done?

Any suggestions are welcome. I have this bike torn down right now and I don't intend to put it back together until I get this fixed. I won't ride until Spring.

Many thanks.

Mark Palmer
Louisville, KY
map@donjohns.com
502-645-6367 (cell)

Onedurwho
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 Goldwing

Re: Intercom/radios will not work thru headset

Postby Onedurwho » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:26 pm

You didn't mention that your intercom was or was not working? Do you get radio (or any audio) in the headset? On the dash you should see an ICON next to the RADIO/INTERCOM/CB. Your choices are a "speaker" or a "headset/mic". To toggle between the two push and hold the AUDIO button. This will switch the icon between the speakers and headset.
I don't care where we ride...let's just ride!

Marcomalo
Motorcycle: 2001 gl1800

Postby Marcomalo » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:06 am

Thanks for the reply.

All the visual indicators are working and I understand how to switch the devices on and off and thru the speaker or headset. The problem is that I am not getting anything thru the headsets when they are switched on, that means no cb/am/fm or intercom.

Does the am/fm set control all the comms? This is what I have been told. If so, I need to find out where to get my am/fm set evaluated and repaired.

Thanks.

Onedurwho
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 Goldwing

Postby Onedurwho » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:41 pm

This is the place I would start. I've read many post's on the GWRRA board about the work they do and it's specific to motorcycles! Good luck and happy riding...
http://www.sierra-mc.com/default.asp
I don't care where we ride...let's just ride!

gareva1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Postby gareva1 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:52 pm

I'm assuming you checked the front and passenger headset jacks? If someone worked on it previously, its possible that the headset jacks are simply disconnected under the covers...if you have the bike torn down, look around where the left pocket would be...the headset jack should terminate to a red plug in one of the wiring protective "boots" around there...reseat it and make sure that you don't have a simple connectivity problem.

the radio unit controls all comm functions; its made by panasonic. Sierra does work on them I believe; I think electricalconnection does too. For what a repair would cost, you may do just as well cruising ebay or the other goldwing forums for a unit from another bike...your bike will fit any radio up to 2005 with no trouble.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”