Problem with Cruise Control on/off button

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
maxrobinson
Motorcycle: 2006 Goldwing 1800

Problem with Cruise Control on/off button

Postby maxrobinson » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:59 am

Bike is a 2006 Wing. Cruise control is stuck "on". Won't turn off. Any idea's why and how to fix. Reluctant to mist some WD 40 into it because don't know why it is sticking, if in fact it is the on/off button "sticking". May be electrical. Again, any ideas?

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Re: Problem with Cruise Control on/off button

Postby Steve F » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:14 pm

Read this related topic:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8730#p39440

Steve F
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

maxrobinson
Motorcycle: 2006 Goldwing 1800

Re: Problem with Cruise Control on/off button

Postby maxrobinson » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:16 pm

After reading the replies to my question about a sticky cruise control button, I visited with a fellow GW rider who works at Maxim Honda in Allen, TX. He explained the situation as this. the cruise button and the reverse button are integral in the box with the engin cutoff etc.. It/they can't be accessed directly, and if they have to be replaced, that whole control box has to be replaced at a cost of $200 plus a couple of hours shop time. If you are comfortable with a little detail work, you can do it yourself. He provided me with the exploded view out of the parts book. THEN he told me that the electrical contact cleaner Honda sells when sprayed generously around the stuck buttons could well solve the problem for only $6.00. Being cheap I tried that first. It took 2or3 tries using the small straw that came with the can, cycling the button a number of times, but sure enough, everything came unstuck and now works like a charm. My thanks to everyone who responded on this. I hope I shed a little more light on the problem for anyone else experiencing stuck buttons on their Wing.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”