Wheel Balancers

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
qigongdoc
Motorcycle: 2010 Gl1800

Wheel Balancers

Postby qigongdoc » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:13 pm

Has anyone used the Centramatic Wheel Balancers? Do they work? Are they worth it?

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: Wheel Balancers

Postby tfdeputydawg » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:33 pm

qigongdoc wrote:Has anyone used the Centramatic Wheel Balancers?

Do they work? YES
Are they worth it? NO

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

dragon2000
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie

Postby dragon2000 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:56 pm

qigongdoc wrote:Has anyone used the Centramatic Wheel Balancers? Do they work? Are they worth it?

I bought a set last fall and installed them in the spring. While I could have gone with the Dyna Beads for a fraction of the cost, with having the TP System I was advised not to as this could screw up the valves which are pretty costly. What swayed me to buying them was the reviews posted on the GW Stuff website and mileage gains people had achieved having them. The tire life/mileage left I current OEM 250's compared to that of friends who have had to replace their tires already nixed my suspicions.

As another poster said, Is it a high cost to pay, yes. Do you get mileage gains out of a set of tires, I have. I also have no cupping what so ever on my D250's and have 19K KM's so far. I am sure I will be able to get another 6-8K KM's from my current set before having to replace them. As for the ride, it is definitely smoother than running with lead weights.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/16_featured_gl1800_accessories/29204_stainless_centramatic_goldwing_wheel_balancers/
Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Ontario, Canada

Len
Motorcycle: 2012 Goldwing Airbag

Postby Len » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:03 pm

If your wheels were properly balanced initially, you probably won't notice any difference with Centramatic Balancers. However, as your tires wear, the balance could change. If so, the Centramatic balancers may be able to continue balancing your wheels.

I like to spin my wheels, without the tire, on a balance stand to determine the heavy spot. First, I balance the wheel perfectly, then I mount the tire and spin it to find the heavy spot on the tire. Then I rotate the tire so the heavy spot on the tire is opposite the heavy spot on the wheel. This procedure will assure the least amount of weight is needed to balance the wheel/tire assembly. This method also alerts me to any unusual balance problems with a new tire.

qigongdoc
Motorcycle: 2010 Gl1800

Postby qigongdoc » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:14 pm

I finally got a set of Centramatic Balancers on my bike and I was very surprised and pleased. They were a gift, so even though expensive, they were worth it.:D They went on fairly easily except for a little close tolerance issue between the wheel, the balancer and the room at the top of the wheel well. Once I figured out the trick of wheel almost on, sneak balancer in, then get the wheel in place and then lugs on, it was all easy. What really helped for the rear wheel was a motorcycle lift! The fronts were relatively easy but did require more wrench work. Once I got on the road I knew these things were cool. Although my wheels were in excellent balance to begin with, when I got the balancer on there was an immediate sense that something was different. It was like when you drive your car and think things are pretty plumb, but then you get a new set of tires and balance them well. As soon as you hit the road you know...WOW, smooth. Like a slalom ski in early morning water. They also seemed to give me a better sense of stability, I think from the "gyro" effect, but this is just a gut feeling. All in all, I think these things are definitely worth it. I mean, after all, a Gold Wing is supposed to be smooth, and these help it to do it effortlessly. We'll see what happens with tire wear.

dragon2000
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie

Postby dragon2000 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:27 am

Glad to hear you are happy qigongdoc.

I have over 15 K KM's on mine and yes my Wing still runs a smooth as the day I put them on. It also enabled me to surpass what other wing riders in my area get from their tires.

If you read the Centramatic customer comments on the site I listed in my previous post (Gold Wing Stuff), they mirror both yours and mine. Are they expensive compared to the Dyna Beads, yes. That said, for the beads here in Canada, one is looking at close to $50.00 for a set of tires. Another point that was passed on to me was that not all tire Manufacturers endorse the use of Dyna Beads which was another reason went with the Centramatics.
Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Ontario, Canada

Cal-D
Motorcycle: 2007 Stream Silver GL1800A

Postby Cal-D » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:06 pm

I can buy a lot of Counteract beads for a lot less money. I have been using beads for years and never a problem.

druidcat1115
Motorcycle: 1999 Valkyrie Interstate
2006 GL 1800
2008 GL 1800 Level 3
2008 GL 1800 Airbag

Postby druidcat1115 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:09 pm

I too use dynabeads they work. lead weights work well too. Centramatic work well too. The problem is the same methord of tire balance does not work for everyone. lead weights only keep the tire balanced a short time, then you have to or have some else rebalance the wheel. This does not happen with the dynabeads or any other type of bead materal but you cannot use it if you have a TPM system. So Centramatic is your best option, expensive yes. But it outlast the tire, you pay for once and you can ever take it with you to your to your next set of tires or your next wing (if you happen to be one of the few that can wear out a wing).

tanman32225
Motorcycle: 2002 Gl1800

Postby tanman32225 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:23 pm

I have ran Dyna Beads for years now. No cupping, and the tires last longer. For the price difference I would go with DynaBeads. Easy to install and fast. IMHO

Cal-D
Motorcycle: 2007 Stream Silver GL1800A

Postby Cal-D » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:53 pm

druidcat1115
Not sure about Dyna beads but YES, you can use Counteract beads with a TPM system. I have installed them in several newer wings with TPMS and no problems.

tanman32225
Motorcycle: 2002 Gl1800

Postby tanman32225 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:12 am

I use Dynabeads with my TPMS without any issues also.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”