Heated grips and seat

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Please Support our Sponsors!

Heated grips and seat

Postby okstay » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:24 pm

Can anyone tell me what year they went to heated grips and seat as standard equipement. And what year did they change the dash to where the speedo and tach are in the same window instead of separately like the 2005 has? Thanks for any info. Chris

okstay

Motorcycle: 2012 gl1800

Re: Heated grips and seat

Postby themainviking » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:29 am

2006. For the 2006 models there were a whole bunch of updates and changes, which continued into the 2010 models, although the 2009 and 2010 models did get updated stereos and GPS units in the United States only models. Then there was no 2011 Goldwing, and the 2012 came out looking like a cross between a Wing, a BMW and something else. The majority of the electrics, although supposedly updated, may not have been as newly designed as the outer shell was. The jury is still out on that one. I am not criticizing the 2012, I just do not know a lot about them yet. You might be able to fill us in on those updates.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage
themainviking

Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby okstay » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:54 am

The back end of my 2012 wing looks like a Victory Vision. What was Honda thinking? The previous style of the bags was much nicer and looked integrated. I really like my new wing but it is butt ugly from the back. As far as more space in the bags-my 2005 seems just as big as the 2012. I don't see any difference in the amount they hold. Yet Honda retained the style of the old trunk! Why didn't Honda reshape the trunk to match the bags? It looks like a misfit from the rear! Does anyone know what year they put catalytic converters on the wing. For those of you using diesel oil or other oils that are high in zinc, this could be bad for your cat. converters.

If anyone is wondering why I bought a bike with an ugly rear, the answer is I wanted a new wing. I tried to find a leftover 2010 but all I could find was yellow. It is not a bad color but I did not want to put up with the "taxi" and "school bus" cracks! I was on my way to the dealership with every intention of coming home with a new candy red wing. When I got to the showroom and saw the Ultra blue, it was all over! Blue it was! The red is beautiful, but the silver two tone takes something away from the red but adds to the radiance of the blue.
okstay

Postby themainviking » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:36 am

Yeah, I did not much like the 2012 Wing's looks either, so I searched long and hard, and found a brand new, in the crate, previous model (and saved about $6K). I would have preferred a burgundy color like the dark reds that Honda used in 2009 and 2010, but silver was my second choice. As any chance of obtaining brand new previous models dwindles down, everyone will be buying the new cosmetic styling of the 2012 and newer bikes. We will all get used to them, and that will be that. I am glad you got a color that suits, and agree that blue and silver go really well together. Have many safe and happy miles on it.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage
themainviking

Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby okstay » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:55 pm

The 2012 wing does have a better sounding stereo than my 05. They eliminated the air vents in the fairing and put larger speakers in the front. Another improvement was the wiring for an Ipod. You just connect your ipod in the trunk and control everything with the handlebar controls. The ipod menu comes up on the wing's screen. I didn't think I would like this over the CD player on my 05 but once my kids downloaded all my CD's onto the ipod, I have the same music without all the moving parts of a CD player! And I don't have the weight of the CD player or have to worry about something mechanically going wrong with it. I don't have to carry CD's either. I like that technology. And i didn't have to pay $1200 for a CD player. The wheels are also clear coated. The wheels on my 05 were labor intensive to keep shinny. The gauges on the 05 were easier to read in sunlight because they had separate pods for each gauge. The 2012 I have to put my hand over the gauges to "shade" them to read the OD light in sunlight. Just wanted to share some likes and dislikes about the 2012 incase anyone is thinking about buying one. Take it from me, you won't be disappointed. They are a great bike! There is nothing on the road that compares to them. With a goldwing it is...Anytime, any place, any pace!
okstay

Postby dragon2000 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:10 pm

Here is a chronological history for the GW dating back to 1974.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/goldwinghistory.htm

Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Ontario, Canada
dragon2000

Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie

Return to GL1800 Information & Questions