2012 Wing

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
starmanjb
Motorcycle: 2012 Goldwing

2012 Wing

Postby starmanjb » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:39 pm

Just picked up my new 2012 Airbag Wing a couple of weeks ago. What a sweet ride. Now as long as I don't hit a pothole and trip the airbag, I'm ok.

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Re: 2012 Wing

Postby trike lady » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:39 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on the new Wing.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

okstay
Motorcycle: 2014 gl1800

Postby okstay » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:47 pm

What color did you get? A blue one I hope. How do you like the ugly rear of the saddlebags? Ride safe and enjoy.

starmanjb

Postby starmanjb » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:09 pm

A red one. Now I have to wait till spring to ride. Thanks.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:11 am

I think you need not worry about a pothole triggering the airbag. I have ridden mine for almost 15000 miles so far since I got it 01 October 2010 and have hit several rough patches of road and a pothole or two (not many thank goodness) and the Airbag is still where it is supposed to be.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:50 am

starmanjb wrote:A red one. Now I have to wait till spring to ride. Thanks.

Why wait? You might get a warm day here and there. Also you could buy some heated gear or put a snow tire on the back. If the '12 is like the rest the warranty is good for 3 years with unlimited milage so you may-as-well be puttin' some miles on it. Last but not least, congrats on procuring a wonderful machinery.

starmanjb

Postby starmanjb » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:40 pm

I've ridden bikes since I was a teen. I also have in the garage a 1997 1100 Shadow ACE and a 1998 XR650L. I love to ride. I'll hold a good thought for the weather to give us a break from time to time, but in this part of the world, it's not likely until April. LOVE the heated seat and grips though.
Attachments

tallbud10
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD

Postby tallbud10 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:57 pm

Hello All,

I just purchased a 2007 GL1800 yesterday. As I graduated from my 1985 GL1200 LTD, I tested many bikes. I rode the Harley Ultra Classic (too noisy), the BMW (not too comfortable) and the 2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800. To my dismay, the 2012 sat higher, had less leg room (for pilot), and had less seating room for passenger than the 2007. After shopping around I found this bike (very low miles, very inexpensive, and showroom new!). Has anyone else experienced this?

okstay

Postby okstay » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:38 am

I went from a 2005 gl to a 2012 and did not notice any of these differences. Maybe they had the rear shock too high with air pressure which would raise the seat height. I did not notice any difference in leg room either. My wife does not notice any difference in seating position but does prefer the new seat material on the 2012. I don't like the gauges that are all in one opening. My 05 had separate tunnels for each gauge which made it easier to read in sunlight. My 05 also had slightly better throttle response especially when the engine was not up to full running temp. I also rode and owned the harley ultra and agree it is too noisey. And runs too hot especially in summer or in traffic. I wonder what this will do to engine life? From 2010 the harley runs catalytic converters and the engine is much leaner which makes it run very hot. Anyway, the wing is the superior bike in my opinion. Like they say: anytime, anyplace, any pace...can they harley say that? No way.
I also agree that you made a good purchase with the 07. I don't think my 2012 wing is superior to my 05, just a little different. If I took time to think about it and didn't want a new wing, I would have stuck with my 05 and used the extra money for something else, like a second bike!
One other thing i would like to mention, my 05 wing's cooling fans were very quiet and my 2012's are very loud. This is not a problem because the fans rarely run but it makes the bike feels cheaper. No such thing as a bad wing. I have owned and ridden all the makes and years and they are all superior to most other bike. One other thing i want to mention. The reason I went to a 2012 wing was the price. the dealer made me a deal that was extremely good. There are some real deals out there. Lookin' forward to spring!!!!!!!!!!

tallbud10

Postby tallbud10 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:42 am

okstay; I need to clarify. The legroom for the rider is approx 3" less on the 2012 from my 2007. When I sat on the 2012 with my feet on the pegs (normal riding position) my knees were up against the fairing. On the 2007 there is about 2 1/2 to 3" clearance. I am 6' 5" so every inch counts. As for the seating, when my wife sat behind me on the 2012, we touched (not necessarily a bad thing). On the 2007 we have a couple of inches between us. At any rate, your right....there is no bike that comes close to a Goldwing! A 2012 or a 2007 or a 1985....the Goldwing is superior. Did I mention that they are FAST!!!??? Come on summertime!

okstay

Postby okstay » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:16 pm

tallbud 10; I know this is a wing forum but could you give us some specifics on the BMW. Which model did you test? How was it uncomfortable and what did you not like about it. The reason I am asking is every article I read either on the net or in some of the magazines, they always seem to mention the new BMW. I am kinda tired of hearing about the beemer when I am looking for articles on the wing, especially the 2012. Seems they are really trying to promote the beemer. I am not saying it is a bad bike but I don't think it is in the same league as the wing. I think the ST1300 would be a better comparison, not the wing. I am a real loyalist to the wing. I went to the first goldwing school back in 74 or 75. It was somewhere in new jersey. And I have been very partial to the wing, regardless of the year. They are superior. With liquid cooling and shaft drive they are better than most bikes on the road. I can't think of any bike that can stand up to a wing in overall performance. what is more durable than a wing? Whether two up or especally riding in traffic. The liquid cooling and engine design is proven durable. I guess no one can convince me that they are not the best. And they are a HONDA!
Our local BMW dealer says that the beemer has exclusivity! He said when someone wants to make time on the highway you will always notice they are riding a beemer with soft bags, full helmet, and one piece riding suit. He says these are the upper class riders... I don't agree... they are riders like the rest of us. Just some thoughts...

starmanjb

Postby starmanjb » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:38 pm

Gee. I started this thread. Guess I should put in a word or three. As for room, I'm 6 foot and 250 lbs and I don't find the 2012 that confining. My OL loves the room in the back as it's quite a bit more than she's used to on my 97 1100 Shadow ACE. I used to work at a Honda shop and I've pulled many wings out of their shipping crates and put them on the road. I've loved them from the first ride. It's surprising how something that big can handle so easily. It's odd not seeing the front tire though; that's something I'll have to get used to. The dealership also sold Kawasaki and I can tell you from experience, Honda builds a superior ride, right down to the nuts and bolts. To cut cost, Kawasaki has, how shall I put this delicately, not used quality parts, in some areas of their products that are not visible to the rider. Not so with Honda. Honda has never rested on their laurels like some other motorcycle companies. It's the attention to the little details that make it, for example, like the vibration dampers at the end of the handlebars. They are R and D start to finish.

tallbud10

Postby tallbud10 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:16 pm

The BMW was a K1600GTL. Very cool bike, but not as ergonomic as the Wing. Your right, nothing compares to the Honda GW no matter the year! Day 3, and still lovin' my '07!!!

SilverHawk
Motorcycle: Currently w/o a ride. :(

Postby SilverHawk » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:16 pm

tallbud10 wrote:The BMW was a K1600GTL. Very cool bike, but not as ergonomic as the Wing. Your right, nothing compares to the Honda GW no matter the year! Day 3, and still lovin' my '07!!!

Concur with your ergonomic findings on the GTL. Went to the Sturgis BMW Dealership and checked out the K1600GTL. I found the foot pegs too far back for these old bones to handle. Otherwise I loved the bike. Thought it was beautiful and would have bought one if my hip joints could handle the "sit". Was drooling over the Silver color and the salesman had to bring me a towel to clean that puppy up. :lol: :lol: I'm still considering it .... but it may be a bad move to purchase one and then not be able to ride comfortably. Local dealership doesn't have a ABS Wing in stock right now and that is one of my have to have items. So, I'm bikeless still. Glad you were able to find a nice '07. My previous ride was a Dark Orange Metallic '07. Was a pretty ride too. Just wondering from your comments if your '07 has an after market seat which would make a difference in the distance your knees are away from the fairing sides. Enjoy your new ride.

Mike 545
Motorcycle: Blue 2012 GL1800
1995 GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby Mike 545 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:10 pm

tallbud10 wrote:Hello All,

I just purchased a 2007 GL1800 yesterday. As I graduated from my 1985 GL1200 LTD, I tested many bikes. I rode the Harley Ultra Classic (too noisy), the BMW (not too comfortable) and the 2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800. To my dismay, the 2012 sat higher, had less leg room (for pilot), and had less seating room for passenger than the 2007. After shopping around I found this bike (very low miles, very inexpensive, and showroom new!). Has anyone else experienced this?

Mike 545
1995 GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby Mike 545 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:11 pm

Do you have any pictures?

Mike 545
1995 GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby Mike 545 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:29 pm

I checked-out the BMW K1600GTL, also. I liked the ride; it is super aggressive. But the bike has a lot of issues. The audio system sucks: bluetooth has issues, the bike's computer doesn't recognize an iPod (the few times it does, it shuts down after 20 minutes) and try to find the audio options (most of the sales representatives can't figure it out), the transmission gives false neutrals and will jump from 5th to 4th. Just to name a few issues. Oh yeah, there is no wind protection for your hands; on a cold day that is something you need.

I am considering a 2012 Wing; but like someone else mention, the rear bags are ugly (to me, they are). That is the wing issue which holds me back.

okstay

Postby okstay » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:13 pm

Hey, don't let the ugly bags hold you back. If this was the case, none of us would be married! LOL Hope my wife doesn't read this!!
I bought a 2012 wing and the bags are UGLY, but the rest of the bike is beautiful! I don't have many miles on it because the weather here in the northeast got cold right after I bought it, but everywhere I parked it I got compliments on the bike! Most compliments were from women. They really like the new design. I admit it is growing on me but I still like the looks of the earlier wings. Also, if you look at some of the new designs on cars, the wing fits right in. I wish they made the trunk the same as the back of the bags. The trunk looks like an after thought now with the new design of the bags. Don't let this hold you back, buy the new wing and enjoy it! The 2012 wing also does not have the air vents in the fairing and it looks much better without them. They didn't do anyting anyway. I am glad honda eliminated them. Good luck and go and buy that new wing that everyone else wishes they had! Blue or red are the HOT colors!

Mike 545
1995 GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby Mike 545 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:31 am

Yeah, I probably should just go and buy the bike; but like you said, it is cold in the northeast. Then again, I could be getting it ready for better days to come: wax, a few add-ons, etc.

okstay

Postby okstay » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:03 am

If you live in Pa, check out the prices at Track-n-trail in State College Pa. That is where I bought my 2012 from. I did a lot of shopping around and they had the best price by $3000! Now is the time, in a month you probably won't get a good price because of spring sales. They come with a 3yr. warranty. Ask for Chuck, he is a good man. Good luck and enjoy that new bike before you are too old...

varmint.1
Motorcycle: 1989 Goldwing
2012 candy red
Goldwing

Postby varmint.1 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:11 pm

You boys need to stop and take a step back, as I bought my red 2012 back in July I look at it from the side and see BMW and when I look at backend I see victory from those saddle bags. I only have 6800 miles on it. But now that I am retired, this summer I plan to ride a lot more. And it is a better step up from my 1989 wing. There is no going back now, Boys.

okstay

Postby okstay » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:52 am

You are right Varmint, it does take on the look of other bikes. A bike like the goldwing does not need to do this. The goldwing always had its own identity. From any angle you always could identify a wing. Now, I have to take a second look at the 2012 to make sure it is a wing and not a victory vision. As far as BMW goes, the only thing that reminds me of that is the round medallion on the side of the fairing. I hope Honda can find a unique style for the wing in the future, as it has in the past! I really hope Honda doesn NOT put a six speed in the wing. Ride one of the new Harleys with a six speed and you will know what I am talking about. You are constantly shifting and it seems you are never in the right gear! The wing hit the bullseye as it is. Sometimes we don't know when we have it good. For the last few years I rode mainly electraglides. When I was doing some work on a friends wing, I took it for a ride with my wife on the back. Two weeks later we bought one. The goldwing is the best all around bike. Match it against anything. any time, any place, any pace! Now if I can get some warm weather. I have a bad case of cabin fever. I am retired and just waiting for a warm day.

One other thing I want to mention. For those of us that are old enough to remember older car styles. Years ago could identify a ford or a plymouth or a chevy at a glance. They all had a unique style. Today, I have to read the nameplate to tell what brand car it is. They all look pretty much the same! I hope not, but I see motorcycles going the same route! You can't stop progress...

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:07 pm

okstay wrote:You are right Varmint, it does take on the look of other bikes. A bike like the goldwing does not need to do this. The goldwing always had its own identity. From any angle you always could identify a wing. Now, I have to take a second look at the 2012 to make sure it is a wing and not a victory vision. As far as BMW goes, the only thing that reminds me of that is the round medallion on the side of the fairing. I hope Honda can find a unique style for the wing in the future, as it has in the past! I really hope Honda doesn NOT put a six speed in the wing. Ride one of the new Harleys with a six speed and you will know what I am talking about. You are constantly shifting and it seems you are never in the right gear! The wing hit the bullseye as it is. Sometimes we don't know when we have it good. For the last few years I rode mainly electraglides. When I was doing some work on a friends wing, I took it for a ride with my wife on the back. Two weeks later we bought one. The goldwing is the best all around bike. Match it against anything. any time, any place, any pace! Now if I can get some warm weather. I have a bad case of cabin fever. I am retired and just waiting for a warm day.

One other thing I want to mention. For those of us that are old enough to remember older car styles. Years ago could identify a ford or a plymouth or a chevy at a glance. They all had a unique style. Today, I have to read the nameplate to tell what brand car it is. They all look pretty much the same! I hope not, but I see motorcycles going the same route! You can't stop progress...

Oh come on, that happened YEARS ago. Think about it - in the 70's, Asian bikes were clearly identifiable as such - usually a single or inline engine, upright seating, form following function. In the 80's they were V4 or inline 4's mostly, again with upright seating.

Today look at most of the (non-sport) bikes coming out of Japan - they're V-twin Harley clones. Along the way some marketing genius said, "huge, heavy, fat V-twins with massive engines that shake and are uncomfortable to ride for more than a few miles at a time are what sell. Make lots of them!" Now that's virtually all you see. If you want a sensible regular bike with upright seating, you've got VERY few bikes from which to choose.

okstay

Postby okstay » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:44 pm

Mike, I wouldn't wait to buy that wing. In the spring the selection will probably be gone. You either won't be able to get the model or the color you want. Also, the price will probably be higher in the spring. I hear not all Honda dealers can sell goldwings now. Is there any truth to this?

varmint.1
Motorcycle: 1989 Goldwing
2012 candy red
Goldwing

Postby varmint.1 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:48 pm

yea, you probly should get it now, I put the over priced cb in and did the armrests at the same time. Then I put on the transformers floor boards for the wife she really loves them and i'm not that happy with my freeway pegs but I don't see anything better out there. I have the new driving lights for down below but haven't put them on yet. ;)

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”