LED bulbs for running lights

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Steve L
Motorcycle: 2012 Goldwing

LED bulbs for running lights

Postby Steve L » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:13 pm

Hi - can anyone tell me if there will be any problems installing a set of running/fog lights in the cowl openings, and then replacing the H3 bulbs with the new high output H3 LED bulbs? I have a 2012 Wing, no airbag.
Thanks. :?

firstwing85
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
1983 V65 Magna

Re: LED bulbs for running lights

Postby firstwing85 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:30 pm

I have bought a set of H3 LED bulbs in my driving lights and I like them for the Idea of the oncoming traffic being able to see me easier,
but my H3 LED bulbs are not as bright as the original Halogen bulbs that were in the lights.
I like the LEDs that I can leave them on all the time and it's better for the traffic to see me better..

I have not seen another model of H3 LEDs so if you see another type available let me know..
Johan

Steve L

Postby Steve L » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:00 pm

Johan - I put some Led bulbs in my running lights on my last bike. They were absolutely awesome!!! Brighter than anything I have ever seen before, and not subject to vibration damage like regular bulbs. Also much lower power drain - I left them on all the time I rode. Go to the website of IJMDtoy.com and look for their model 68-SMD H3 Hyper Flux LEDs. They have a miniature tower of 68 LEDs in each bulb and they will fit into a regular light casing if it is H3. A little pricey, but absolutely worth it, and they will probably never burn out!
The reason I posted this question was I had read somewhere that some kinds of lights can't be used on the cowl lights of an airbag equipped Wing. I will absolutely be buying these LEDs again if they are not a problem to use. Can't understand why they might be a problem as they draw such a little power - but then why would having an airbag affect what lights you use unless the lights just used too much power?

firstwing85
1983 V65 Magna

Postby firstwing85 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:12 pm

thank you so much for the reply.
I don't know either why it would be a problem on the airbag model.
I will most likely get myself a set of the bulbs you mentioned because I also want them for the reason that they last longer and they don't draw a lot of power.
I had my own transport truck for 10 years and on my last one I had 170 some LED lights on it and I am a firm believer in LED.
thanks again and ride safe..
Johan

dragon2000
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie

Postby dragon2000 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:37 am

Steve L wrote:Johan - I put some Led bulbs in my running lights on my last bike. They were absolutely awesome!!! Brighter than anything I have ever seen before, and not subject to vibration damage like regular bulbs. Also much lower power drain - I left them on all the time I rode. Go to the website of IJMDtoy.com and look for their model 68-SMD H3 Hyper Flux LEDs. They have a miniature tower of 68 LEDs in each bulb and they will fit into a regular light casing if it is H3. A little pricey, but absolutely worth it, and they will probably never burn out!
The reason I posted this question was I had read somewhere that some kinds of lights can't be used on the cowl lights of an airbag equipped Wing. I will absolutely be buying these LEDs again if they are not a problem to use. Can't understand why they might be a problem as they draw such a little power - but then why would having an airbag affect what lights you use unless the lights just used too much power?

I love the idea of going LED to reduce power draw. I also own a Valkyrie which shares the same Generator as the GL1500. Power deficiencies were corrected by the 1800 however having installing LED's will make help me out with my Dragon (also have a few accessories on it). Can you repost the website above as I couldn't locate it.

Thanks,
Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Ontario, Canada

firstwing85
1983 V65 Magna

Postby firstwing85 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:51 am

here is the link you asked for.. hope it works for you..
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/H3-LED-Bulbs-F ... sku_4f.htm
Johan

Steve L

Postby Steve L » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:16 pm

dragon2000 wrote:
Steve L wrote:Johan - I put some Led bulbs in my running lights on my last bike. They were absolutely awesome!!! Brighter than anything I have ever seen before, and not subject to vibration damage like regular bulbs. Also much lower power drain - I left them on all the time I rode. Go to the website of IJMDtoy.com and look for their model 68-SMD H3 Hyper Flux LEDs. They have a miniature tower of 68 LEDs in each bulb and they will fit into a regular light casing if it is H3. A little pricey, but absolutely worth it, and they will probably never burn out!

I love the idea of going LED to reduce power draw. I also own a Valkyrie which shares the same Generator as the GL1500. Power deficiencies were corrected by the 1800 however having installing LED's will make help me out with my Dragon (also have a few accessories on it). Can you repost the website above as I couldn't locate it.

Thanks,

Here is the link: http://store.ijdmtoy.com/ProductDetails ... 5FSKU%5F4F

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Postby Steve F » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:53 pm

Steve L wrote:The reason I posted this question was I had read somewhere that some kinds of lights can't be used on the cowl lights of an airbag equipped Wing. I will absolutely be buying these LEDs again if they are not a problem to use. Can't understand why they might be a problem as they draw such a little power - but then why would having an airbag affect what lights you use unless the lights just used too much power?
There may be concerns of Honda's that people would start mounting devices and other things that could potentially damage or render the airbag useless, or in some cases the items you install could become projectiles if the airbag were to deploy. The crash sensors are items that need to be kept away from, and mounting something as benign as a set of lights could have adverse affects.
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

Steve L

Postby Steve L » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:41 pm

Steve F wrote:
Steve L wrote:The reason I posted this question was I had read somewhere that some kinds of lights can't be used on the cowl lights of an airbag equipped Wing. I will absolutely be buying these LEDs again if they are not a problem to use. Can't understand why they might be a problem as they draw such a little power - but then why would having an airbag affect what lights you use unless the lights just used too much power?
There may be concerns of Honda's that people would start mounting devices and other things that could potentially damage or render the airbag useless, or in some cases the items you install could become projectiles if the airbag were to deploy. The crash sensors are items that need to be kept away from, and mounting something as benign as a set of lights could have adverse affects.

Good response, thank you.

Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Postby Ghostman » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:39 am

http://www.electricalconnection.com/dri ... hooter.htm
http://www.electricalconnection.com/dri ... led-ho.htm
I have the high output LED cowl lights from EC. You might want to take a look at them. They have an option for an airbag wing for the light lits.

Bad Blake
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing
2000 Valkyrie Tourer
1999 Valkyrie Interstate
2003 Valkyrie Dressed as a Tourer

Postby Bad Blake » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:07 pm

Steve L wrote:
dragon2000 wrote:

Thanks,

Here is the link: http://store.ijdmtoy.com/ProductDetails ... 5FSKU%5F4F

I went to the website to view the bulbs, did you just installed these in the lower driving lights? I am unsure wether the lenses pop off or do the whole assembly needs removing to install the bulbs.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”