I want to add a CB

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
csw4480
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800/Champion
1981 CM 400 A

I want to add a CB

Postby csw4480 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:23 pm

I want to install a CB, not happy with the price of OEM CB, was curious about aftermarket units or salvage parts? Any information would be appreciated.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: I want to add a CB

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:33 pm

There is always the J&M CB that mounts on the handlebar...but when you work in the interface, antenna, cabling, etc...it's not a whole lot cheaper than the ridiculously overpriced OEM unit that just plugs into the existing harnesses.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:10 pm

csw4480 wrote:I want to install a CB, not happy with the price of OEM CB, was curious about aftermarket units or salvage parts? Any information would be appreciated.

Watch ebay. You can sometimes get one for $500 range including antenna. If this is too high, then watch ebay for a long time and you may pick one up used. You can also get one from BikeMP3 which can have an MP3 added to it, just by plugging it in. I agree the prices are up there, but what can ya do?
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

marshall65
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Trike
2008 GL1800 HPNA

Postby marshall65 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:18 am

Agree OEM is over priced but the only choice IMHO .. We tried the J&M and although
they work wonders on other bikes they do not interface well within the 1800 audio system.
You would be better served to bite the bullet and go OEM or try to find one on Ebay or in
a salvage yard .. They are basically plug and play and the antenna is not hard to install and
tune .. Always tune the CB antenna because it does not come from the factory tuned .. Also
Sierra Electronics has the best prices on a 1800 antenna . Lot cheaper than trying to get
one through the Honda dealer ..

You can find other antenna replacement information on my site
http://bludolphintravel.com/gmg/marshallmod.htm

csw4480
1981 CM 400 A

Postby csw4480 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:59 am

Thanks for the information, (marshall65) I believe you are right, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy the OEM. I just found one at a dealer for $599 minus the antenna. Looks like a road trip.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:21 pm

Try this-
http://www.sierra-mc.com/
Check out the GL2way as well as the BikeMP3 player.

salyzyn
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby salyzyn » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:27 am

marshall65 wrote:Agree OEM is over priced but the only choice IMHO
How so? The GL2way is an identical plug-n-play OEM design with many more features for a lower price. With thousands of them out there (actually stalling sales of the OEM), these units have developed a substantial following of happy customers.

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:39 am

I think the GL2way is about $500 new and that includes filters and antenna. I think that the GL2way also has places to plug in other devices and make them interface with the wing's system. Also there is an OEM unit for sale on the gl1800riders.com classified board for $425.

marshall65
2008 GL1800 HPNA

Postby marshall65 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:48 pm

Have personally not used the GL2way, but I have done several antenna installs that
plugged in to the system .. SWR could be set but best Power out for this unit was a
little over 2 watts .. The OEM CB doubles that and the modulation is better than the
OEM system .. Until this GL2way can increase it performance to legal limits, 4 watts
and 90% modulation, I personally would not use it .. Just my $.02 ..

salyzyn
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby salyzyn » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:55 pm

marshall65 wrote:Have personally not used the GL2way, but I have done several antenna installs that
plugged in to the system .. SWR could be set but best Power out for this unit was a
little over 2 watts .. The OEM CB doubles that and the modulation is better than the
OEM system .. Until this GL2way can increase it performance to legal limits, 4 watts
I have the OEM system, the GL2way, modulation meters and power meters. I also run an FT-857D Amateur 160M to 40cm rig attached to a separate antenna in tandem with the CB on my Bike, which allows me to compare receive senstivity in some measure. I do not have a signal reference source so I can not measure that with any accuracy.

GL2way consistently modulates at 90% and better (unless I whispered), the OEM at 35%, and both had exactly the same base power output of roughly 3.7 Watts according to my meter. When adjusting the SWR, I found I did not have to twig the forward setting at all between using either of the two units, and with my wife keying it up, the field strength meter measures the same as well; as expected to corroborate the power meter value. Everyone complains that the GL2way systems are too strong through, having to turn down their volume controls when compared to when listening to OEM units. GL2way has added a setup parameter to help detune the hot audio should it be needed, but it does not appear to drop as far as 35% (The GL2way interface has an AGC, the CB radio will also have an AGC on the microphone) to match the OEM. On receive the Honda OEM and the Harley CB unit as utilized in the GL2way system were the same based on my perception as compared to my FT-857D (which pulled in weaker stations better than either by a similar amount).

There was also a more scientific posting a year ago on gl1800riders.com of an early adopter that detailed that his GL2way surpassed the OEM in modulation, power, receive sensitivity and third intercept. The poster had a service monitor to measure all the characteristics (I only wish I had one). This is likely the same Harley Unit they bundle today.

I am sure there are units that are better, or are worse, but I can at least state my, and the above, evidence is contrary to yours, adding uncertainty at least to your assertion. Did you contact Pete to point this out, if you have been seeing substandard units, he is very good about swapping out or fixing. I did not check the foldback protection though, never thought to, but I could imagine if the match is bad, the Harley CB in the GL2way may drop its power further than an Honda OEM Unit? You sure you are setting the match to 1:1? He has advised some folks to put a toriod on the coax for the folks that had the stronger RF overload the Honda Audio Unit leading to the RF being rectified by the audio amplifier, this would have an effect of muting the power output of the rig. Were such toroids install on those systems? These could be the only explanation I would expect that could result in a lower measured output power. On 10M on my FT-857D, I have to drop my power to 5Watts or I get rectification pickup in the audio amplifier, 15W on 40M, so I can not run full 100W power on HF.

I have used the FireStik NGP as Pete initially sold, the 2 foot and 3 foot Sierra antennas and found little difference between them, as much as everyone would like to think. The match, once tuned for minima, are all good with less than 1.15:1, none could be brought to a perfect 1:1, but I did have near-so on the 2 Foot Sierra. The field strength once I got to 1:1(ish) was the same, and the received signals appeared to be no different using my FT857D (attached to a separate Comet UHV6 antenna) as reference. I settled on the 2 foot Sierra. I use a splitter to receive AM/FM on the same CB antenna, so YMMV when using dual-stick systems.

marshall65
2008 GL1800 HPNA

Postby marshall65 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:21 pm

Good analysis ... Could very well be I was working with a bad unit .. Not sure
if the owner reported it to Pete or not .. I regularly utilize the 3' Firestik "Firefly"
for most installations, especially on cruisers and on the Yamaha Venture .. For GW's
I have used the 3' Firestik Firefly and the 2' Firestik II, both having tune tips and both
will twik to 1.15 - 1.2 when tuning .. In most cases, they tweak so low the meter
movement is non-existent .. I must have a very good unit on my 08 GW .. It is putting
out about 4.8 watts and have a 90% swing in modulation using the AirRider headsets. I
am also using twin 2' Firestik II antenna's, one for AM/FM and one for CB .. I consistently
am able to listen to Jacksonville radio stations as far down as North Daytona Beach ..
When the skip and noise is very quiet, I also consistently can talk approximately 5
miles between my base station and the bike, my house to the beach ... Not saying
the Units are bad, from your analysis, it is a big jump over a lot of the junk that has
tried to be a good communications unit (Crapperbox CB) .. Oh, I do use the foldover
units from Sierra and although they are pricey, they are better than the 230EZ units
which have 3/8 24 thread ... Thanks for the input ... Every little slice helps .. My
occupation was, before retirement, Communication Field Engineer working mainly
with Navy comm systems and my 08 GW is on a Trike platform ..

tfdeputydawg

Postby tfdeputydawg » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:12 am

Red Ron wrote:I think the GL2way is about $500 new and that includes filters and antenna. I think that the GL2way also has places to plug in other devices and make them interface with the wing's system. Also there is an OEM unit for sale on the gl1800riders.com classified board for $425.

I don't believe the filters are needed for the GL2way!

tfdeputydawg

Postby tfdeputydawg » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:15 am

marshall65 wrote:Have personally not used the GL2way, but I have done several antenna installs that

You should report this to Pete! This is not typical of the GL2way CB.
How many is several? Have you checked your meter?

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:52 pm

There is an OEM posted today for $450 antenna included over on the gl1800riders.com board. They aren't that hard to install. I bought my used OEM from the same board.

csw4480
1981 CM 400 A

Postby csw4480 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:09 pm

Thanks everyone for your input, I spent hours on the internet following your leads. I took my bike back for the recall inspection and ended up doing some horse trading with the dealer. I had two new HJC MAX BT helmets with the Scala G4 that I did not use. Ended up with two HJC IS 33 helmets with the head sets, cables, passenger control, antenna, cables, and CB for a very reasonable price.
Hopefully now I have what I need. I also have a lowering kit (lowrider) http://www.lowerwingproducts.com I will be selling.
Again thanks to everyone for your excellent information.

dragon2000
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie

Postby dragon2000 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:27 pm

Red Ron wrote:There is an OEM posted today for $450 antenna included over on the gl1800riders.com board. They aren't that hard to install. I bought my used OEM from the same board.

When it comes time to install your CB if you are doing it yourself here is a great website containing a video. There are also a lot of other great do it yourself topics.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/bikersworkshopmenu.htm

Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Ontario, Canada

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”