Add On Towbar for GL1800

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
cmwagner
Motorcycle: 2005 Goldwing 1800GL

Add On Towbar for GL1800

Postby cmwagner » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:49 pm

Hi

I have just purchased on-line the "Add-On Towbar" (Add-On - Being the Make) plus the "GL1800 ISO Trailer Wiring Harness" and the "Trailer Hitch Receptacle" from Cyclemax. Unfortunately the Towbars outside of South Africa all come with a 1 7/8" ball, which equates to +- 45mm in diameter. The Tow Bar Holder(Tow Hitch) on the trailers in South Africa are made for a 50mm ball. If anyone knows where I can source this 50mm ball (must be bolt on) it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Colin

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Add On Towbar for GL1800

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:44 pm

All of the hitch balls in the US (and I believe in Canada as well) are in imperial measurements rather than metric. The closest we have here is a 2" ball, which is 50.8mm. Your best bet might be looking at a trailer/RV vendor in Europe.

I called Gary at Cyclemax, and he said the bolt that fastens the ball to the hitch is 3/4", so that equates to 19mm.

I did a search for 50mm balls with a 19mm shank, and found a few:

http://www.batteriesgalore.com.au/p.php ... e-tow-ball

http://trailerspareparts.co.uk/ATV-trac ... k%20-500kg

http://www.bareco.com.au/files/general/g15a.htm

Hopefully that will help you out!

cmwagner

Postby cmwagner » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:39 pm

WOW - you guys are Awesome, thank you so much for this information.

I will have a look at the sites you mentioned and advise what I have found.

Thank you again

Cheers

Colin

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:17 pm

Are you sure it must be bolt on? I have found that the balls with a shaft that a large nut goes on are a lot easier to make totally safe. I have found that under the right circumstances, the ones with the bolt that fits into the ball from the bottom can come loose and drop the bolt on the road, letting the ball go with the trailer coupling. With the shafted ones, if you drill a hole through the end of the threaded shaft, under the nut, you can put a large cotter pin through. Then if the nut does loosen, the pin will stop it from coming off. It is the only kind I would use. Now, a second thought on the ball size. If you cannot get the correct one for your use, you could always purchase the trailer coupler to fit your 1 7/8 ball.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:11 pm

Australia uses 50mm towballs that have a shank with a large nut on the end, they are rated upto 3500Kg (about 3.5 tonnes) . They are heavy, so might be expensive to post/freight, They cost about AU$10.00 to buy, with a plastic cap (chrome or black) extra.

If you would like, I could purchase and send it to you, or here is an address you might like to follow up yourself.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online ... px?id=8031
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:54 pm

themainviking wrote:Are you sure it must be bolt on? I have found that the balls with a shaft that a large nut goes on are a lot easier to make totally safe. I have found that under the right circumstances, the ones with the bolt that fits into the ball from the bottom can come loose and drop the bolt on the road, letting the ball go with the trailer coupling. With the shafted ones, if you drill a hole through the end of the threaded shaft, under the nut, you can put a large cotter pin through. Then if the nut does loosen, the pin will stop it from coming off. It is the only kind I would use. Now, a second thought on the ball size. If you cannot get the correct one for your use, you could always purchase the trailer coupler to fit your 1 7/8 ball.

The one that it comes with is the ball where the bolt that fits into it from the bottom. Looking at the mount, it should be able to go either way - with the ball and shank/nut, or ball and bolt.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:58 pm

Am I correct in assuming that once you have a trailer hitch fitted on the 1800, it makes a rear wheel change a lot more awkward? I usually remove the rear panel between the panniers (with the number plate attached) and then slide the wheel out backwards with the bike on it's center stand. I assume a tow hitch would prevent me from doing that, or I would need to partially dismount the tow hitch to allow the wheel to come out backwards? Just starting to wonder about pulling a trailer with my wing, but not yet sure I want to..

Gary

cmwagner

Postby cmwagner » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:51 pm

Aplogies about the delay in replying, Internet was out. Gay I think!!!! and accrding to the description for the Add-On towbar it does not interfere with rear wheel removal (I hope that's True)

Wingadmin thank you for your informaytion, I have emailed two of the websites, and no-one has replied as yet.

Len - Thank you for the offer, I may need your help, just rying to source it myself.

I have also found a trailer hitch the gets bolted onto the trailer (as a normal hitch would be) however this hitch has a body that rotates from left to right or right to left in a 360 movement, then where the ball is supposed to fit it has (I don't know what one would call it) but it is a round gromet type of unit that swivels in all direction. This unit needs a Steel bolt mounted to the towbar instead of a ball, then this gromet fits over the bolt and one then places a nut on it to keep it from slipping off.

Anyone ever seen such an animal, and if you have is it any good?

Cheers

Colin

cmwagner

Postby cmwagner » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:03 pm

I am sorry about my last message - It was supposed to be Gary I think!!!! and according to the description for the Add-On towbar it does not interfere with rear wheel removal (I hope that's True)

Sincere apologies

Colin

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:22 pm

cmwagner wrote:I have also found a trailer hitch the gets bolted onto the trailer (as a normal hitch would be) however this hitch has a body that rotates from left to right or right to left in a 360 movement, then where the ball is supposed to fit it has (I don't know what one would call it) but it is a round gromet type of unit that swivels in all direction. This unit needs a Steel bolt mounted to the towbar instead of a ball, then this gromet fits over the bolt and one then places a nut on it to keep it from slipping off.

Anyone ever seen such an animal, and if you have is it any good?

Yes, actually it is a very good "coupler" but you still need the hitch frame to bolt it to. It removes the requirement for a ball tho.

As to the difficulty increase in removing the rear wheel, yes, unless you also remove the central support portion of the hitch when removing the center fender portion of the bike at the same time, you cannot get the rear wheel off while on the center stand in your driveway. You need to either put the bike on a lift with a removable rear section under the rear wheel, or lay a blanket on the drive, and lay the bike on it's right side. Then the wheel can be removed easily.

ImageImage

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:29 pm

WingAdmin wrote:The one that it comes with is the ball where the bolt that fits into it from the bottom. Looking at the mount, it should be able to go either way - with the ball and shank/nut, or ball and bolt.

The hitch will work either way, but the picture here shows it with the bolt, not the shank and nut. With the shank and nut, one would screw the shank into the ball using RED locktite, so that it NEVER comes out, and then the nut on with blue locktite so it can be removed if necessary.

ImageImage

bandit
Motorcycle: 2008 BMW RT1200
2008 Honda GL1800
1988 Honda GL 1500

Postby bandit » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:45 pm

Hi Colin, Deon from PE. You can go to any Midas stores and buy it from there. You will have to make your hole slightly bigger as it is imperial and we use metric holes.

You going to the Buff?

cmwagner

Postby cmwagner » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:32 am

Hi Deon

Sorry about the long delay in replying, was away in Swaziland on Business. Thanks for the information, I received my towbar and all it's components and have installed it, took 1/2 a day. Tried almost all the Midas stores I know of in my immidiate surroundings and none of them have a screw on 50mm ball for the towbar. They only stock the standard GooseNeck as we know it, and that won't fit. Is there anywhere in PE that you can think of that I could phone to find out if they have this 50mm screw on Ball and bolt.

Cheers

Colin

bandit
2008 Honda GL1800
1988 Honda GL 1500

Postby bandit » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:13 am

cmwagner wrote:Hi Deon

Sorry about the long delay in replying, was away in Swaziland on Business. Thanks for the information, I received my towbar and all it's components and have installed it, took 1/2 a day. Tried almost all the Midas stores I know of in my immidiate surroundings and none of them have a screw on 50mm ball for the towbar. They only stock the standard GooseNeck as we know it, and that won't fit. Is there anywhere in PE that you can think of that I could phone to find out if they have this 50mm screw on Ball and bolt.

Cheers

Colin

Hi Colin,
I bought mine at Speedy Quip. Speak to Brendon.

bandit
2008 Honda GL1800
1988 Honda GL 1500

Postby bandit » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:21 am

bandit wrote:
cmwagner wrote:Hi Deon

Cheers

Colin

Hi Colin,
I bought mine at Speedy Quip. Speak to Brendon. Just remember you have to ream the hole just a fraction bigger.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”