Goldwing vs. Harley...

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
okstay
Motorcycle: 2014 gl1800

Goldwing vs. Harley...

Postby okstay » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:50 am

I have owned and ridden most bikes that are out there. One thing I have always heard was the conflict between Harley riders and everything else, mostly Japanese bikes and especially the Goldwing! Here is my two cents worth. Harleys have made great progress in the last ten years. Although the newest ones run way too hot in my opinion. Heat is an enemy of an engine, especially an air cooled one. You cannot ride a Harley in city traffic very long without some sort of problem with engine heat. Think about what this does to an engine in the long run. The Harley is fun to ride and gives you a feeling of raw, rough character. To me this becomes very tiresome after an hour or so. Try taking a day trip on a Harley then try it on a goldwing and I think you will agree the wing is superior. Again, it depends and what you are looking for in a motorcycle. I have a brother that is very much into Harleys, but he does not do distance riding. He loves to shine and modify. so it depends on what you are looking for in a motorcycle. I am retired and like to take day trips with my wife. If you are married, tell me it is not important for your wife to be comfortable! The tourpak and backrest vibrated on the Harley and made riding for her uncomfortable. The Harley is a more basic bike mechanically, but not the price. Air cooled engine, two cylinder, belt drive.

There are die-hard harley riders out there and they will protect the image of their ride to the death. Nothing wrong with loyalty, but as one of my friends that owns a harley said: How can I admit the bike is rough after paying so much money for it?
The Harley electraglide is most compared to the wing. Other harley models are another story. To sum it up, Harleys and wings are great bikes. It depends on what you like and what you are willing to pay. The goldwing has the technology and the harley relies on basic mechanics. You have to decide which one you like. As for me, I don't like to "slam" any bike. Enjoy your ride and let others do the same without making them feel inferior. We are all partial to our own brand of bike. Now if we can just have some warm weather...

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Re: Goldwing vs. Harley...

Postby Steve F » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:46 pm

Popcorn is started.......
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

seabee_
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200
117k miles
1977 Kawasaki kz400
1978 Suzuki GSXr750
1980 Kawasaki GPZ400
1975 Honda CB360T

Postby seabee_ » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:25 pm

Valid points. I have many friends who have Harleys and heat from the engine is the one complaint heard the most. I always wondered how many more would sell if they made a water cooled version. On a funnier side, Goldwing vs Harley...... The Goldwing is usually the one in front of the trailer. :lol:
Attachments
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic

Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Postby Pam » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:58 am

I worked with a guy who was a die hard Harley guy. He had told me many times about sitting in traffic and the bike shutting down and having to push it between cars to get off the street to let it cool off only to do it again in a few blocks. I too wonder if they had a liquid cooled version if it would catch on

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:52 am

The V-Rod is the liquid cooled version, and it is still V Twin, and a lot like a Vulcan or a Shadow, but with a lot of low end torque. It is a fun bike to ride. Oh, wait - all bikes are fun to ride.

Now onto more important things. I rode Harleys for 47 years and did not want anything else, because I am rough, tough and hard to bluff. A year ago, I bought a Goldwing because my tendonitis would not allow me to ride the shaky brute for very long rides anymore. I do not regret any of my years riding Harleys, and I still have one, but I did not even start it last year. The Goldwing is a far superior touring machine. I test rode two of Harleys newest models last year at Wing Ding and at our Ride for Sight rally. I tested the Ultra Classic 96cu, and the Roadglide 110cu bikes. The Ultra Classic was sadly underpowered and rode like a tank. The Roadglide was powerful enough, but still rode like a tank. At my age, I no longer want to ride a tank. The vibration in the rubber mounted engines was excessive, and really bothered my tendonitis. I was really happy to get back onto my Goldwing. As the Original Poster mentioned, neither he nor I wish to slam any motorcycle, so suffice to say, the new Harleys just are not as much for me as the Goldwing is. Others experiences may vary. Ride long and prosper.....

Viking
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

okstay

Postby okstay » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:52 pm

There is something I have to add to this thread. Although I am partial to goldwings, I must say that Harley has the best dealer network. Anytime you enter a Harley dealship there is coffee or some event or activity going on or coming up. At my local Honda dealer it is the same old same old going on everyday-NOTHING! Harley dealers give riders a reason to get out and ride and the dealships are much more interesting to visit. They always have coffee or some pastries for you to enjoy. And if you want to modify or buy something for your bike, Harley has anything you want. The Honda has very little to offer in comparison. I wonder why Honda and the honda dealers don't do similar things. We have some bike nights in our area throughout the summer months that are mostly sponsored by the harley dealers. so, take it as you may. I feel the honda is the superior bike, but the harley family has a lot more to offer riders. Just my two cents worth.

seabee_
117k miles
1977 Kawasaki kz400
1978 Suzuki GSXr750
1980 Kawasaki GPZ400
1975 Honda CB360T

Postby seabee_ » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:02 pm

I agree with you okstay, Harley dealers are there to promote the biking way of life, whereas Honda dealers are only there to make a sale. I've been to Hog dealerships and they do make you feel welcome.
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:54 pm

seabee_ wrote:I agree with you okstay, Harley dealers are there to promote the biking way of life, whereas Honda dealers are only there to make a sale. I've been to Hog dealerships and they do make you feel welcome.

I have been to some Harley dealerships, and they do indeed make you feel welcome. I have also been to some Harley Dealerships that make you feel like they are doing you a favour just to talk to you. The dealerships both south and west of my city, each about 75 - 80 miles away are just such dealerships. The dealership 200 miles away is the first kind. You feel like they know and like you.

I have been to Honda dealerships and gotten the cold shoulder. The dealership in this city have both extremely welcoming, and not so welcoming sales people. The owners of this one, one very good, one very bad with people, so he stays in the shop and does not even deal with people there anymore.

I have been to car dealerships, and to a person, they have always been my best friend. Some of the motorcycle dealerships could learn from this. It is the same with all snake oil salesmen. If they see a buck in you, they are very friendly, if not, not so much. The people, aside from a couple sales people, at our local Honda shop have been friendly with me for many years, and I bought my first Honda only a year ago. I think it is how people react to each other after all is said and done. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good. I am not disagreeing with the previous poster - just sharing some of my experiences.

ImageImage

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Postby Sally » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:59 pm

I think the important thing is their riding,That's the big plus here. I think the choice of what you ride is a personal choice for me..I'm not into half helmets,leather,tats,loud mufflers ect... But that's just me It's fine for others right,wrong or in different.I all about buying American to that's why I would not buy a Goldwing newer than a 10 model.. Sally

okstay

Postby okstay » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:39 pm

Sally, you bring up a good point about buying American. I wish I could buy only american goods. The problem is that american goods either don't offer the type I want to buy or the quality isn't there. Or, you sometimes can't buy american. Try living as you are and NOT buying anything made in China. You just can't do it. I am loyal to american goods as long as I can buy what I want! I was very disappointed when I found out the 2012 wing was made in Japan again. I was always proud to point out to people that the wing is made in Ohio! Not anymore. I want to support our economy first, not Chinas or Japans.
If you take a close look at Harleys, much of their suppliers of parts are NOT american. And take a look at their motorclothes. They are made in Pakistan. The Pakistanian people are burning, urinating, and stomping on our American flag! How american is that, yet harley continues to contract with them to make their clothes for them. I think the chrome for harleys is made in China. They keep telling us it is a global economy. And harley is building a plant in India to make Sportsters and Dynas. They say it is to supply a growing market in that country. Then why don't they make them here and ship them to India? I know, I know...cost! Well, that's my two cents worth on that subject. I hope I didn't stir any agner, that is not my intention. Just bringing out the facts and to let everyone know I don't like buying foreign goods either but sometimes you don't have a choice. Because the goldwing is my first choice of motorcycles, that is why I bought a foreign product but I am not happy about it. But I do LOVE my wing! Thanks

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:38 am

Well, for me, personally, buying American is not the big driving force that it would be for all of the United States citizens. When I was buying Harleys, in essence, I was buying foreign products, and it is the same when I bought my wing, and any future wings. I like to buy American as the U.S. is our closest and largest trade partner, but in my not so humble opinion (and to be amusing) Japan is almost owned by the United States anyway. As to always buying American, in case one has a beemer car, etc. there are a lot of products that people don't even think twice about buying that are not made on this side of the ponds. Toasters, microwaves, televisions, and on and on. The economy has switched to global. That is why what other countries do to destroy theirs, affects ours almost as much. It is nice to spend my money on things made here, but we just don't make a lot of things here... :lol:

On an aside, my truck was made in Kentucky....

ImageImage

okstay

Postby okstay » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:14 pm

Good points from Canada. Years ago I bought a new Plymouth minivan. It was made in Canada. And by the way, I kept it 13 years, never had a warranty claim and other than regular maintenance and brakes, I never had a repair on it!
My truck is a Nissan Frontier and it was made in Kentucky. I don't know what to think at this point. I do know the U.S. is supporting a lot of the world economies. I wonder how much our Congress has invested in other countries. Why else would there be a global economy?
Keep this in mind: Just like if the Titanic life boats stopped to pick up everyone that they could find, no one would have survived because the life boats would have sunk! If the U.S. continues to support other economies, we will sink also. I don't want to say anymore because I don't want to change a wonderfull cycle thread into something political. I do believe in equal trade...long live all motorcycles. Now if we can just get some warm weather. Snowed here last night and this morning. Had to fire up the tractor and plow the driveway instead of firing up my goldwing. After plowing, I took the cover off the wing, sat on it and went vrrrooooom! It felt gooooood.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:30 pm

okstay wrote:After plowing, I took the cover off the wing, sat on it and went vrrrooooom! It felt gooooood.

Too cold up north here to even say vrrrooooom..... besides, it is a Honda, not a Mazda, Hawwwwwww, :lol:

ImageImage

Sally

Postby Sally » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:58 pm

Well I don't buy all american okstay your right some products you have no choice period.I also was VERY PROUD to buy Honda's from Ohio.But I do know when and if I ever upgrade again 10 will be as new as I go.I do like the back of the new goldwing and the bigger saddles would be great. Don't really like the two tone paint up front looks like trying to copy BMW and they don't need too.I wonder if the bags off a 12 model would bolt on and older wing? That would be cool to have a set painted to match my 02 and just upgrade the rear.. Sally

okstay

Postby okstay » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:09 pm

Sally, if the bags from my 12 will fit your 02, I will trade you! I think the bags on the 12 are ugly. I had an 05 and I can't see any difference in the capacity of the bags.

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Postby detdrbuzzard » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:10 pm

seabee_ wrote:I agree with you okstay, Harley dealers are there to promote the biking way of life, whereas Honda dealers are only there to make a sale. I've been to Hog dealerships and they do make you feel welcome.

you didn't go out to biker bob's did you? i went there a couple years ago for the open house. the only person to speak to me outside the building was the guy selling bbq. went over to the table to sign up for a test ride and the just walked away. a nice young lady greeted me when i entered the building butnone of the salespeople came to help me but went over and helped others. after walking around for about 20 minutes i headed back outside to see if i could get signed up for a test ride again. they were just finishing up signing up two other guys and i got ignored again so i went and bought a pulled pork sandwich and left
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

seabee_
117k miles
1977 Kawasaki kz400
1978 Suzuki GSXr750
1980 Kawasaki GPZ400
1975 Honda CB360T

Postby seabee_ » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:27 pm

detdrbuzzard wrote:

you didn't go out to biker bob's did you? i went there a couple years ago for the open house. the only person to speak to me outside the building was the guy selling bbq. went over to the table to sign up for a test ride and the just walked away. a nice young lady greeted me when i entered the building butnone of the salespeople came to help me but went over and helped others. after walking around for about 20 minutes i headed back outside to see if i could get signed up for a test ride again. they were just finishing up signing up two other guys and i got ignored again so i went and bought a pulled pork sandwich and left

Haven't been to bob's. Been to the ones in Clinton Twp, Waterford, and out by Novi.(can't remember the name of that one). The one in Waterford even has some old Harleys around the showroom.
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic

Sally

Postby Sally » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:43 pm

Okstay I must be wrong I was think the bags were bigger.Thought I read something about be able to store a full face helmet in them ?The wife and I go for rides and take a lunch stop at state parks and just wonder some times seem to run out of room..I alway carry rain gear and by the time we take our riding gear off never seems like there is room to put helmets in the truck.I just may have to change and start using the helmet lock really don't like leaving them out.. Sally :roll:

okstay

Postby okstay » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:00 pm

I think some people are misunderstanding what I am saying about Harley dealerships. It is not just the hospitality, it is the many events the harley dealers seems to put on. They have many events where they sponsor group rides or have some other HOG activity going on. They sometimes have live bands and plenty of food at the open houses. I just don't see any activities like this at the Honda dealer. The harley dealer always sponsors stunt riders to put on a show on bike night. The Honda dealer does nothing. These are the type of things that make me want to take my bike out and go to the dealership. It is not the only type of riding that I do. My wife and I take many day trips and love taking long rides just to go for lunch or supper. But it sure is nice to attend the many dealer sponsored events. Not to mention the many accessories harley has to offer. You can buy anything you want for a harley, their catalog is very thick. The honda accessories are very few.
Anyway, i do like both brands of bikes but I am partial to the goldwing because it suits the kind of riding that i do most...daytrips
Take care...

okstay

Postby okstay » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:24 pm

Two more cents worth: when I wanted to buy my first motorcycle in May of 1967, my Dad said no Japanese bikes! He was a WWII vet. He wouldn't even let my mom make rice! I am serious. I was working in a cemetery after school to earn money for a bike. My Dad found a Cushman motorscooter that I wound up buying. It was a good scooter but it could not keep up with my friends that had japanese bikes. i really wanted a bike that had the gas tank up front. So, a few months later I sold the cushman and bought an 80cc suzuki. I couldn't get the smile off my face. That bike was great! Then came a 250 then a 350 and so on. My point is no matter how strong your feelings, you can't stop progress. Eventually my dad passed away and most other wwII vets along with their strong feelings. Today most people admire the japanese for their technology. My dad also wanted me to buy a harley but they were too expensive. Eventually I did buy a new 1973 sportster. I didn't even make it home from the showroom! What a piece of junk. Today, harleys have come a long way and are a leader in quality. I have owned more than 200 motorcycles since and I have fond memories of all of them, no matter where they were made. One other thing. When my dad said "no jap bikes" I didn't have any idea what the hell he was talking about until he explained it to me. I didn't know i was supposed to be prejudice!!! hope you enjoyed my story...

docgood
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Goldwing

Postby docgood » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:02 am

Nothing against any bike, everyone has a choice and leave it there. Australia is a big place, as big as mainland USA and there are huge distances. The Harley dealers are basically in the major cities and some of the larger provincial towns. There is a Honda dealer, of sorts, whether it is a car agency, power machinery , a bike place or a combination of the lot in most towns, large and small. The Harley brand doesn't seem to have the coverage. Dont get me wrong about them, there are thousands of the noisy beasts here and have a great following but you dont see the Harley Davidson banner hanging out in places where you will find a Honda dealer. In my travels in this lucky country, the Honda man is a power of support to all bike riders and most carry spares like filters etc for all popular brands as well. I wouldnt like to roll in and ask for a 1965 HD fuel filter, but he would probably have one that would do. Besides buying the best motor bike I have ever ridden, and I have been riding since 1959, I feel that I have strong, friendly and $ conscious dealer support where ever I may travel. Things in the US are probably a lot different and there is a huge population gap between us.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:55 am

okstay wrote:I think some people are misunderstanding what I am saying about Harley dealerships. It is not just the hospitality, it is the many events the harley dealers seems to put on.

I understand what you are saying. I have some information that could explain it. HOG the club is sponsored by individual dealers, while the GWRRA is not. So, as sponsoring dealers, the Harley side of the coin, they do the things that corporate Harley and the HOG club want them to do. That is the nature of the beast. GWRRA on the other side, being the main Goldwing club, but NOT all the Japanese motorcycles club, is handicapped by being owned and run by its members and having a much smaller membership than HOG. There are huge HOG chapters all over the United States and Canada, and as you rightly stated, Harley touts the biking lifestyle. On the Japanese product side, there are what - four, or five different corporations that are dividing the customer base, and how many different organizations set up among each brand, like Goldwing, Ninja, Boulevard, Cruiser, Sportbike which drops the possible membership in any of them. HOG is all Harley, period. There are some downsides to the Harley end of it too. As a HOG member, I am entitled to a 10% discount on Harley branded parts and accessories at MY chapters sponsoring dealership ONLY... I get up to 50% discounts on EVERYTHING in my local Honda dealerships store. If I was still sticking with Harleys, and if we had a local Harley dealership, I am sure I would be getting better deals. This part of it has to do with my relationship with the local dealer. I cultivate it. It is to our mutual benefit to do so. The sponsoring Harley dealership is 80 miles away, so I did not see them anywhere near as much as I do my Honda dealer. That has to affect the relationship. Since the Harley dealer moved into his new digs, a "Prestige Dealership Store" they have been more about money and less about HOG events. Who knew.

ImageImage

rosie
Motorcycle: 2009 gl1800

Postby rosie » Tue May 22, 2012 7:49 pm

Can't say I dislike Harleys never owning one. I've ridden them for extended periods. I've had 5 wings - including a Valkyrie - starting with an 1100. Even the 1100 I thought was a more....thought out....machine for the money. But you ride what you like and no one can tell you different. I did buy a patch at Americade one year. It says "I rode mine".

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Wed May 23, 2012 7:44 am

I just totalled it up using pics of speedos and memory, as well as still having a couple of Harleys around here. I have ridden 736,000 miles on Harley Davidson motorcycles from 1963 to 2010. No wonder my body is so stove up, :lol: :lol: :lol:

I rode my Goldwing over 16,000 miles last year, so it puts me over the 750K mark. That last 16+k was the easiest. :o

ImageImage

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”