Heated seat????

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
okstay
Motorcycle: 2014 gl1800

Heated seat????

Postby okstay » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:45 pm

I have four different settings for the heated seat and NONE of them seem to put out much heat, if any. I can barely feel the heat. Can anyone else tell me if they are experiencing the same thing. My 05 wing did not have a heated seat, so I don't have anything to compare it to. And from what I can feel, neither does my 2012 wing. My heated hand grips work very well. One thing i did notice was the grips seem to get hotter the faster you go. Please let me know if anyone else has experienced poor heating in their seat. Thanks

Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Re: Heated seat????

Postby Pam » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:03 am

My 06 has several settings and it does depend on where you set it, but they do seem to take a few miles to warm up, and then I turn them down. The grip seem to warm up fairly quick, but I have never noticed them getting hotter the faster I went. The wife's big &*% mamma seat heater does not work, and I will try to look at that in the spring. It says in my manual not to use the heat if idleing, most likely the grips are using more power than the bike is making. Once you have rpm it will be making more power so that may be why they seem to get hotter the faster you go.

Just my thoughts :?:

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:40 am

My heated seats worked well for the co rider, but I did not feel them very much. I put on a heated Ultimate seat, and the difference was pretty clear. The Ultimate seat gets warm real good, and then it seems to cool a bit and stay there. One day it may burn up and then I will know that it was too warm, but even on the first setting, it gets warm, before it stabilizes. Or perhaps it is just a cold butt that makes me think that, and when the butt warms up the seat seems to stabilize. Either way, I was not noticing my stock seat working as well, so maybe just smaller heater wires.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

collin
Motorcycle: 2010 gl1800

Postby collin » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:48 am

Check out this link, I did it a couple days ago. Simple fix the resistors are 5 for 1.19 at radio shack. I just slid electrical insulation over them and taped it back up.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthre ... ated+seats

okstay
Motorcycle: 2014 gl1800

Postby okstay » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:20 pm

One other thing I wanted to ask about the heated seat. Can anyone tell me if the passenger backrest has heating elements in it? My wife doesn't seem to notice any heat in the backrest. Thanks for any input.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:16 am

Well, it is supposed to. You might try removing the two mounting bolts from inside the trunk and lifting up on the backrest. It will unhook and let you see if it is plugged in.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”