Insta trike kit wanted

Motorcycle related items for sale or wanted
  • Sponsored Links
liquineer
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Panther Trike

Insta trike kit wanted

Postby liquineer » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:35 pm

I have been trying to track down an insta trike kit- been in contact with a vendor in America - but because I am in the UK, they won't deliver it directly to me- I have to get a shipping agent to clear it from an aiport- so I have no idea what the final cost will be.

1) Anyone got a kit they want to sell and would ship with DHL or Fedex who will work out the full cost to me for home delivery
or
2) Anyone had any experience of importing such a kit in to the UK and can tell me how they did it??

Are we having fun yet?

Ghostrider52005
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200 LTD, 1984 GL1200 Interstate, VS 700 Suzuki Intruder.

Re: Insta trike kit wanted

Postby Ghostrider52005 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:54 pm

Did you try calling Tow Pac the company that actually makes the insta trike direct? I would think they would ship one to you. :?

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:41 pm

Thanks for the info- sent a mail to Tow Pac and will see what they say.
The other kit I was interested in was the Triwing kit- again a dealer will ship to UK but not deliver all the way through to me.
Any thoughts on that?
Are we having fun yet?

Ghostrider52005

Postby Ghostrider52005 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:32 pm

The wifes 1200 interstate has the 12 inch wheel model insta trike on it. It came with the bike when she got it. I had to readjust it. The PO had much to much down force on the outriggers but once that was done she loves the thing and honestly I find myself taking it out quite a bit instead of my LTD. :oops:
Rode Voyager, and full trike conversions. Much prefer it to voyager and handling wise other than the steering is a bit stiffer than a full conversion cant tell much difference in the ride and handling between it and a full conversion. Dont know about tri wing or trigg kit but you dont lose ground clearance like you do with a voyager.
Once adjusted it corners very flat with little outward lean at all even running hard around turns. the ride is a bit stiffer but so is a full conversion or any other kit you can get. Nothing horrible just a tad stiffer. Ive had it to 90 mph on the interstate. No surprises. Stable and handles very well.
Taking it on and off is very easy for one person to do in 8 to 10 minutes. It will tow anything that a motorcycle is capable of towing. Pushing it backward is actually a bit easier than pushing the bike backward with no kit on it since you dont have to contend with not dropping the bike. Youll be able to push it back out of any place you can push your bike out of now.
I hope you can get what you want shipped to you. I do know that they ship to installers and to Honda dealers because that kit is an option on a new wing. Might possibly have it shipped to a Honda Dealer in your area???? Pick it up there???

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:19 pm

I had not thought of Honda dealers in the UK- I had not seen any mentions of Insta trike kits , but I did see a triked GL1500 on e-bay in the UK that might have been with hindsight an instatrike- this was about two months ago- tried contacting the owner but got no reply, so can't tell. I will follow that idea up and see if I can get something via that route. Many thanks for the description on the stability etc. of the kit on the GL1200- that gives me comfort in pursuing this further as my triking option.

Martin
Are we having fun yet?

Ghostrider52005

Postby Ghostrider52005 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:54 pm

YW :) I didnt know Honday would install the insta trike either until I met a couple headed for DC during Rolling Thunder. It was a new 1800 and had the kit installed by the dealer. The gentleman said on the new bike is was a 9000 dollar option. I assume that is cost of the kit and then labor for Honda to install it.
Ive checked around a bit though I havent called Jeremy at Tow Pac about your issue but I see no reason why they would not ship to Honda or probably any other buisness that you can get to accept the shipment. The way its packaged you could haul it in the back of a car with a decent sized trunk to your home. It only weighs 178 lbs total. If you get one there is one thing I would suggest right off the bat.
If they are available for you there I would switch my balancing method to dyna beads on the bike and in the outrigger tires. Ive used them for years, anyone that comes into the shop that has switched to them has never gone :) back to weight balancing. If you cant or dont want to do that have the outrigger tires spin balanced before you install them. They come balanced but I have heard of some having to be rebalanced after install. Might as well get that out of the way before you put them on just in case.

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:09 am

I retired early, but still do some occasional work at my old company- I wonder if I could get it shipped there? I can follow up when I get something back from Tow Pac. Thanks for the tip with the wheels.

Martin
Are we having fun yet?

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:14 am

Had a reply from Tow Pac- very helpful and informative, but again they will ship to UK but not all the way to my location - I will still need to get a broker to arrange clearance and deliver to me.

All I am after is a clear up front cost from door to door so that I know what I am spending before I order the item- it is a shame that it is complcated .

I have ordered, admittedly smaller, items from the US before and they incude shipping to me, and get delivered to my home without any fuss.

Next step is to try and locate a brokerage company that will help me get the shipment cleared and released to me once it has arrived in the UK.
Are we having fun yet?

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:17 am

I forgot to mention also that Dyna Beads are available in the UK also- so will follow that up once I have the kit.
Are we having fun yet?

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:38 am

I don't know the procedures for the U.K. but any large cost item I have come to me from the USA which requires brokerage, I have sent to the local customs/excise office, and when it arrives, I go broker it myself. I pay any excise, which on US manufactured items is zero, and the taxes, and take it home. All the information to do this in Canada is available online. Try researching it online for the U.K. It may be easier than you think.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:49 am

If you ever have to visit our on-line HMRC website (Customs and excise) you will see why I want an end to end service. The website is loaded with information, unfortunately not helpfully organised and in many cases sends you on a cyclical journey, referring you back to the web page you started from, and a request for help, giving the details of the intended purchase and shipment resulted in a reply that was vaguer than the website.
I do have a contact for a company that handles the clearance of a lot of shipments for my former employers- I will see if he can help.
It may be as simple as you point out- send it to a customs and excise office and self broker.
Are we having fun yet?

Ghostrider52005

Postby Ghostrider52005 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:42 pm

I know nothing about shipping like that so this may be useless info but tow pac has dealer in Canada. I dont know if it would be easier to get it shipped from Canada to you or not.

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:18 am

Thanks for the suggestion I will give them a try and see what they say- it may be easier - I did discover I was actually contacting a company in Canada when looking at the Tri-wing option as well It was done via the internet and I did not realise they were in Canada and not the US until they talked about Canadian dollars) - they were very helpful and seemed to know what it would cost to get it to the UK, but I was put off from buying their kit as you still had to purchase other items when it was delivered (e.g. wheels and tyres) and of course it was a fixed conversion,necessitationg removing the rear wheel and drive etc, so would have cost more in time or money to install. I like the Insta trike option in that it "only" needs the top box and saddlebags removing etc. and can be converted back to a solo bike whenever needed.
Are we having fun yet?

fixbikes
Motorcycle: 1981 Yamaha 920R(for sale), 1999 HD Heritage Softail, repairs to all (1man shop)

Postby fixbikes » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:52 pm

You could look into an outfit like Bongo, I have seen their ads on various sites, they apparently set up a US address for the vendor to ship to, and they then forward it to the foriegn address, you would have to pay the fees and etc., but they should be set up to have the process in motion. Might be worth a look see.

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:00 am

Thanks- I will give it a try- still trying to sort this out. Have a UK company who might help- though they have not answered my last e-mail- need to chase them as well.
Are we having fun yet?

terryt
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000 trike

Postby terryt » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:32 pm

Hi With reference to the above. I think you will find they are illegal in the UK. There is some talk on 100% biker at the moment
in the workshop section,

I hope admin don't mind here is a link to there forum

http://www.100-biker.com/forums/

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:52 am

Hi- Yes I have been on the Goldwing owners forum and whilst they are not illegal seemingly, their classification and insurance is not clear- because the wheels can be removed it then changes the class and also for its MOT, it either has to be a quad or solo bike according to feedback so far. I may have to think this one through again.

Are we having fun yet?

Return to “For Sale/Wanted”