Looking for Riding Boot recommendations

Motorcycle related items for sale or wanted
  • Sponsored Links
oldnco
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Looking for Riding Boot recommendations

Postby oldnco » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:03 am

My old boots wore out and am looking for recommendations on new boots. Have looked at resoling my old ones, but can't find a shoe repair shop that will put a thick sole on them, and it costs almost as much to resole them as to find new ones! Folks don't do that anymore and all of the shoe repair shops have just dried up. only 2 in this town of over 100K! Used to be one on every corner seemed like. Any way, appreciate any recommendations. Have looked at Harley, and they seem to be only ones with thick soles.

Help!
Thanx
Bud

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Looking for Riding Boot recommendations

Postby themainviking » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:00 am

If you are looking for that type of boot, then yes, Harley boots are about the only one left that are easily obtainable. Several companies make Engineer boots, which are what we all had prior to Harley putting their name on them and doubling the prices. I used heavy boots like this all the years I rode a Harley, and for about three months after converting to a Goldwing. Now I wear true riding boots. I found the shift lever too hard to get to with big heavy boots. I am now wearing TCX Air Tech boots, and find them to be far superior than I ever would have believed. Live and learn.

Here are some of the heavy boot types:

https://stompersboots.com/products-page ... ineer-902/

https://stompersboots.com/products-page ... toe-27863/

http://www.coach.com/online/handbags/Pr ... -en#115086

Actually, stompersboots.com is probably the supplier of seven or eight brands at the best prices.

Hope this helps
Viking
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:15 pm

oldnco

Postby oldnco » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:06 pm

themainviking & vtxcandyred - greatly appreciated. am looking at them all now. thanx for your recommendations.

Bud

Doug B.
Motorcycle: 1998 Honda GL1500SE with DFT Trike kit
1998 HondaGL1500SE
1995 Honda GL1500I
1984 Honda VF700 Magna
1975 Honda MT250 Elsinore
1970 Honda CT70HKO (4 speed)

Postby Doug B. » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:52 am

I have been riding for over 40 years and have yet to own a pair of boots specifically for riding my bikes. I am not trying to be a smart azz here.....just wondering what are the advantages? How are they "better" than just a plain pair of boots? Honestly, I don't understand.

Thanks!

Doug B.
"The only problem with 'common sense' is that it is not all that common." Charles Kuralt

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:19 am

Doug B. wrote:I have been riding for over 40 years and have yet to own a pair of boots specifically for riding my bikes. I am not trying to be a smart azz here.....just wondering what are the advantages? How are they "better" than just a plain pair of boots? Honestly, I don't understand.

Thanks!

Doug B.

Ever try and put your foot down have a boot lace get caught in the shifter or brake?
I think the first spec for riding boots is "no laces".
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

Doug B.
Motorcycle: 1998 Honda GL1500SE with DFT Trike kit
1998 HondaGL1500SE
1995 Honda GL1500I
1984 Honda VF700 Magna
1975 Honda MT250 Elsinore
1970 Honda CT70HKO (4 speed)

Postby Doug B. » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:30 am

VERY good point! Been there....done that!

Now that I think of it, I have always had them tied pretty "short" and I have always worn pretty high boots due to much more experience riding dirt bikes rather than my Wing.
"The only problem with 'common sense' is that it is not all that common." Charles Kuralt

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:04 pm

Doug B. wrote:I have been riding for over 40 years and have yet to own a pair of boots specifically for riding my bikes. I am not trying to be a smart azz here.....just wondering what are the advantages? How are they "better" than just a plain pair of boots? Honestly, I don't understand.
Thanks!
Doug B.

Dedicated "riding" boots have a shield for the ankle (outside) and a shield for the achilles tendon, with a patch over the shift area of the boot for long life. I would not suggest these for anyone who does not wish to put a lot of effort into finding the right boot as they are not real good for walking, unless they fit very well. They are definitely not an all purpose boot. The advantages are in protection to the feet, ankles and achilles tendon. The disadvantage is that not all makes fit all people, and one needs to try many brands to find one that fits well and is comfortable.

On the other hand, all the engineer and cowboy style work boots normally used for riding are all purpose boots, and can be worn for just about any other activity there is, with the exception that they do not have laces, and so, are not the best in heavy thick mud, where they might be pulled off.

On an aside - laced boots, according to an antiquated law in the province of Ontario, are not permitted for motorcycle riding, as the laces could be caught up in the chain, or in the spokes of a wheel. I have never heard of this law being repealed, however, I have never heard of it being enforced either. It may also be a law in other areas or jurisdictions.

ImageImage

SteveB123

Postby SteveB123 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:54 pm

themainviking wrote:On an aside - laced boots, according to an antiquated law in the province of Ontario, are not permitted for motorcycle riding, as the laces could be caught up in the chain, or in the spokes of a wheel. I have never heard of this law being repealed, however, I have never heard of it being enforced either. It may also be a law in other areas or jurisdictions.

http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/get-motorcycle-licence
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90h08_e.htm

No doubt you've never heard of it being repealed. A search under "repealed, revoked and spent" regulations reveals nothing of the sort.
Where did you hear that it existed?
82 GL500 Silverwing

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:35 pm

SteveB123 wrote:No doubt you've never heard of it being repealed. A search under "repealed, revoked and spent" regulations reveals nothing of the sort.
Where did you hear that it existed?

An OPP motor cop was telling me. He thought it was quite laughable that the law was still there. We were discussing old antiquated laws in different areas of the country, like the one in Halifax, where it is against the law to walk three abreast on a sidewalk, and the offender closest to the road gets the ticket, even if they were the first one walking there, and were joined by others. Now, it was over twenty years ago that I heard this, so who knows, it could be gone by now. I never bothered to research it, as I do not wear laced boots on a motorcycle, and so did not really care.

ImageImage

SteveB123

Postby SteveB123 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:48 pm

themainviking wrote: so who knows, it could be gone by now.

It certainly isn't in the HTA, nor is it listed in "What you need to ride a MC in Ontario" in the new rider section on the MTO site.

I think that cop was either pulling your leg, or was just plain confused!

cheers
82 GL500 Silverwing

Peppyone1955
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby Peppyone1955 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:35 pm

Have you checked here ? May have what you are looking for.http://www.leatherup.com/c/Mens-Motorcy ... 2/119.html

oldnco

Postby oldnco » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:40 pm

Thanx Peppyone1955 - As a matter of fact my wife found that site after I was looking at the others. I found a pair there that I hope will do the trick.

Thanx
Bud

Peppyone1955
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby Peppyone1955 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:45 pm

I bought 2 pair from them and was very happy with quality and price.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:27 pm

SteveB123 wrote:It certainly isn't in the HTA, nor is it listed in "What you need to ride a MC in Ontario" in the new rider section on the MTO site.

I think that cop was either pulling your leg, or was just plain confused!

cheers

Yes, of course. You must be correct.

ImageImage

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:55 am

I've been wearing these short Harness Boots from Leather Up for the past 5 years/200,000km and have been extremely satisfied with them. I was surprised at the quality of them for the price!! 8-)

Comfortable, thick lug sole and surprisingly waterproof when treated with Dubbin. (I cut the 'Harness' bits off) ;)
I just recently bought the taller version, as the soles were starting to wear down on the shorter ones after all these years/miles.

Dusty

oldnco

Postby oldnco » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:12 am

Thanx Dusty. Those are the boots I ordered. Appreciate your recommendation. Hopefully mine will wear as well as yours did!

Thanx
Bud

Return to “For Sale/Wanted”