Wanted Long Island, NY Area

Motorcycle related items for sale or wanted
  • Sponsored Links
N2PPN
Motorcycle: Me on my 1981 GL1100 at Jones Beach in 1984

Wanted Long Island, NY Area

Postby N2PPN » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:57 pm

Hi guys/gals,

Just a newbie to this board I have a question/recommendation request. I have a 1981 GL1100 which was put away about 5 1/2 years ago without performing proper storage procedures prior to it's being put away... alas it has suffered the fate of gummed up carbs. I am looking for someone who could recommend a reliable mechanic to get her up and running again. I know the timing belts will have to be replaced and the carbs cleaned/rebuilt as well as new rubber, brake hoses, etc. I find I can't sit on the floor of my garage or on the driveway as long as I used to (blame it on old age) and have resigned myself to having this job "farmed out" I still don't know if I want to bring my wing to a dealer and have them do it or find a reliable local mechanic to do the job.... any help you my fellow wingdings can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Rich
1981 GL1100 with Hondaline faring and Shoei trunk & bags in Candy Burgundy. (bought it naked and added the accy's after I got her in 1982)

CoolRider
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate

Re: Wanted Long Island, NY Area

Postby CoolRider » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:18 am

Hi N2PPN,

There is an excellent motorcycle maintenance shop called Speed Motorcycle in Manhattan who is willing to work on Goldwings, It is owned by 2 brothers, Manuel and Willy and they have been in business for a long time and reasonably priced. They are located at 324 East 95th Street and the telephone number is (917) 492-1573
I have a Goldwing 1200 ('86 model Burgundy color) and they did a full service on my motorcycle in Feruary, did a pretty good job. I found out that very few shops are willing to touch older Goldwings due to either lack of experience or knowledge about them.
The carb cleaning and rebuild is a labor intensive job and they charge about $500, as they have to remove fairing panels etc. to get to it. You can call them if you like and they are humble and never show attitude unlike other bike repair shops.
Let me know how it goes and good luck with your Goldwing.

N2PPN
Motorcycle: Me on my 1981 GL1100 at Jones Beach in 1984

Postby N2PPN » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:40 am

Hi CoolRider,

I called around and got quotes from Champion Honda here in Hicksville and a few other shops and all seem to be in the 500 to 600 dollar range for the rebuild (and about 300 to 400 for the cam belts).

So it would cost me a thousand to get her running if I had others do the work....... DUH, no brainer here!

I ordered the Ultimate rebuild kit from Randakk's Cycle Shakk and am going to do it myself. I have a friend who offered to lend me his full motorcycle lift (nice one air over hydraulic with the drop down sections) and I have now found locally and or ordered all the parts to do the cam belts and the carbs. next will be new brake lines (the SS hose replacements are about to be ordered), and I already have the master cylinder and caliper rebuild kits here in my tool box. I will be starting to do a search for tires, since the ones on the bike even though they only have about 10,000 miles on them are probably dry rotted and I don't trust them.

Will keep you guys informed on my project, just may post it under restoration rather than sale/wanted.

Rich
N2PPN
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:55 pm

N2PPN wrote:Hi CoolRider,

I called around and got quotes from Champion Honda here in Hicksville and a few other shops and all seem to be in the 500 to 600 dollar range for the rebuild (and about 300 to 400 for the cam belts).

So it would cost me a thousand to get her running if I had others do the work....... DUH, no brainer here!

I ordered the Ultimate rebuild kit from Randakk's Cycle Shakk and am going to do it myself. I have a friend who offered to lend me his full motorcycle lift (nice one air over hydraulic with the drop down sections) and I have now found locally and or ordered all the parts to do the cam belts and the carbs. next will be new brake lines (the SS hose replacements are about to be ordered), and I already have the master cylinder and caliper rebuild kits here in my tool box. I will be starting to do a search for tires, since the ones on the bike even though they only have about 10,000 miles on them are probably dry rotted and I don't trust them.

Will keep you guys informed on my project, just may post it under restoration rather than sale/wanted.

Rich
N2PPN

That will keep you off the air awhile Rich, good luck with all.

73 WA9FWT Phil

Return to “For Sale/Wanted”